Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Ride Activities

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

Since we are driving from MN to FL... 22 hours (and that's not counting stops!) of driving, I am putting together activity binders for my kids. I'm printing off game boards for like tic-tac-toe, connect the dots, battle ship, word finds, crosswords and sudoku stuff. I put all of it in a 3 ring binder which then serves as a writing desk as well as a place all their activity pages are kept. Each child will have their backpack full of things to keep them busy (NintendoDS, color crayons, colored pencils, washable markers, pencils, books to read, cards to play with, movies to watch on the portable DVD player, etc).

We also play a game called "COW POKER" on our long car trips which is actually really funny game.

Each cow you see is worth 1 pt, and we tally everyone's points in a notebook that I keep.

There are other things worth points as well, such as...

A white horse is worth 50 pts, a chimney standing alone is worth 50 pts, windmills are worth 50 pts, Gray mules are wroth 100 pts, Sheep and goats are worth 1 pt each like cows, and a wooden pegged man (usually see him on billboards... Captain Morgan) is worth 500 pts. But if we drive by a cemetery... we lose all our points and start over again. It's really a silly game and we never really know who the winner is by the time we're home again. It's just a fun on-going game!

Here is another one called License Plate Lingo that I'm going to try with the kids on this trip. Basically you take the letters on a license plate you see and call it out... for example LMT. Everyone has to come up with a phrase (like Lost My Tooth or Love Me Tender) with it and write it down on a scratch piece of paper. Then hand it to the person that called out the letters... (we will be taking turns with this). The person then reads them off and picks one that is the most funny.

Crazy Creature is another we will try and basically you take a piece of paper and fold in three sections so there is three equal parts... top, middle and bottom. The first person draws a head and then folds it back so the next person to draw the middle can not see it. NO PEEKING! The next person draws the middle section and folds it back so the final person drawing the bottom part of the creature can not see the middle or the head the others created. Then when it is all done it can be unfolded and everyone can see how crazy the creature is they all created!

One Minute of Words... Write down words in one minute that begin with a certain letter. The one with the most (authentic) words wins!

Car Next Door... Make up stories about the people in the car next to you. This is all in good fun and should be stuff like, who in the car next door snores the loudest or is afraid of spiders?!?

Anyone have any other car trip games like these?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TigerofMu
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Those sound fun!  We're driving from Wyoming to California to Albuquerque and home in September, so I'll probably print your suggestions list :).  I was already planning to print them games like that, plus coloring/info sheets for every state we'll be traveling through.  I think some of the places we might go in Albuquerque have printables on their sites too.  

I have a few more games to add to your repertoire...

Adding license plate numbers...see who can put them together the fastest!  For example, 15390 would be 1+5+3+9+0, or 18.  With my youngers, we go through each step...1+5, etc.  

The alphabet game.  Starting at A, look for each letter of the alphabet on a sign, marker, building, billboard, or elsewhere, OUTSIDE of the vehicle.  You can play as a group, where the whole family looks for each letter, or as individuals, where each member of the family has their own alphabet race, and they cannot use the same letter.

We sing too.  One of our favorite traveling or waiting songs is "The Bog Song".  Hey-ho the valley o, the bog down in teh valley.  A rare bog a rattling bog the bog down in the valley...it comes complete with actions and a funny ending! 

cmy3kids
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Quoting TigerofMu:

Those sound fun!  We're driving from Wyoming to California to Albuquerque and home in September, so I'll probably print your suggestions list :).  I was already planning to print them games like that, plus coloring/info sheets for every state we'll be traveling through.  I think some of the places we might go in Albuquerque have printables on their sites too.  

I have a few more games to add to your repertoire...

Adding license plate numbers...see who can put them together the fastest!  For example, 15390 would be 1+5+3+9+0, or 18.  With my youngers, we go through each step...1+5, etc.  

The alphabet game.  Starting at A, look for each letter of the alphabet on a sign, marker, building, billboard, or elsewhere, OUTSIDE of the vehicle.  You can play as a group, where the whole family looks for each letter, or as individuals, where each member of the family has their own alphabet race, and they cannot use the same letter.

We sing too.  One of our favorite traveling or waiting songs is "The Bog Song".  Hey-ho the valley o, the bog down in teh valley.  A rare bog a rattling bog the bog down in the valley...it comes complete with actions and a funny ending! 

I did put some lyrics of songs (Take Me Out to the Ball Game, etc) down as well. We really LOVE contemporary Christian music and I'm picking up some new CD's this week to have on hand in the car.... MercyMe, Third Day, Go Fish, Amy Grant, etc. Thanks for the other games as well!

tiffmomofmany
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Love your ideas! Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommyAnne
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Great ideas, but I think I would go crazy being stuck in the car for that long, let alone the kids going crazy.  

cmy3kids
by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Quoting MedicMommyAnne:

Great ideas, but I think I would go crazy being stuck in the car for that long, let alone the kids going crazy.  

With four kids and two adults... it's cheaper for us to drive (even with the gas hike!) then fly. :-( It was about $3000 to fly and we have estimated that gas will be about $800 round trip. More money then for Disney!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)