• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shades of Green

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey ladies, 

Have any of you ever stayed in the Shades of Green resort at Disney? We are planning a trip in February, and weighing our options. We are a military family, of course. Just trying to decide between Shades of Green or one of the value resorts. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
disneymommaof4
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Shades is our home away from home and has been since it opened in 94. We have stayed at Disney moderate and deluxe and always come back to Shades.

They have 3 pools (one is a kiddie pool), 3 restaurants (food is okay nothing to write home about), spa, internet access, AFFEES store, car rental service, ice cream shop, starbucks kiosk, cafe near the buses, grounds are on the Disney golf course so they are gorgeous/pristine!! Rooms are some of the largest on Disney property.....they can easily fit 6 adults (we have done it), 2 double beds, a couch that folds down, table and chairs, their bathrooms have dble sinks with a separate area for toilet and tub/shower, there is a safe in the large closet, a small fridge, each room has either a private balcony or patio that over looks one of the pools or the well groomed grounds. There is a parking garage ($5/day) to park your vehicle and it now costs $14/day to park at the parks...Disney took that perk away from us. We also dont get the Disney Dining Plan or Magical Express....but we never use the DDP or ME...Shades has a car service called Sunstate that you can get to pick you up and take you back to the airport....they have vans, towne cars and limos you can choose from, plus the driver meets you right at baggage claim you can go to their site and figure out the price for your family. The transportation to all the parks is provided by Shades on their timely buses (better that Disneys in my opionion) also you are right across from the Polynesian resort so a 10 -12 min walk and you can hop right on the monorail if you choose to not wait on one of the buses. You do get to use all Disney transportation to and from all the parks, you are entitiled to extra magic hours, and pkg delivery services from all the parks. Remember you pay by rank at Shades and EVERYTHING there is TAX FREE...with the Disney resorts you will be getting smaller rooms and have to pay resort tax and other taxes.....so you really need to weigh out your options....even when the Free DDP comes up....it is still cheaper for us to stay at Shades. Disney themselves have said Shades is right up there with their deluxe resorts!!! Some claim they feel it is like staying at a post/base but I can assure you all the yrs (23) we were in the military we never stayed at a post/base that was as nice or as beautiful as Shades is!!!

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/

Hi Im Cat and Im a Disneyholic! Married 25yrs(May2nd 1986) to ret AFNG MstrSgt and civy cop...Steve...mom to 4 guys (24,22,20,17)

Floradaisy88
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Thanks. We've pretty much decided to stay at the SOG. Well, the value resorts came out cheaper by like twenty dollars, but SOG looks so much nicer. Last year we stayed at the Pop Century and it was ok. Yes, the grounds were really fun, but for us, we just need a room. Our daughter isn't old enough to really appreciate a lot of it. This trip is more for us, lol. Plus the tax free thing is awesome! 

CorbinsMomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM

We would have done SOG again this trip too but MIL comes out $300 cheaper at POP.  We love it at SOG

Dawne98
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

we would always get a room at SOG until my DD was 5 and it was just cheaper to go with DIsney...but had many years of fun at SOG:) you'll love it:)

TigerofMu
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

We LOVE Shades of Green!  I think the first poster gave all of the information I could have come up with!  The check in process is even easy, because there's a kiddy corner right there in the lobby where they can color and watch Disney movies.  

Here are some pics of the room we stayed in, and if I can find them, some of the resort.

Out in front of the hotel, near where the Magic Hours bus comes.

The pool is shaped like mouse ears!

They have a shallow kiddie pool!

Lots of space!

Nice big vanity, double sinks, nice bathroom...

This signature is a picture of the statue in the lobby!

Floradaisy88
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM

We have decided on SOG and will be making reservations next payday. I'm super excited! Even though it came out a significant amount cheaper to do Pop Century, the DH opted for SOG for the experience. 

Dawne98
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

YOu'll love it.....and your DH is so right you need to see it for your self....the ROOMS are the best at WDW big and lovely:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)