Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much does Disney really cost?

we are wanting to take a family trip this year it will be my husband and I and are 3 kids they are 6, 4, and newborn. Im so confused trying to plan a trip because neither one of use have ever been and we dont really know much about everything and there seems to be so many different things we can do but we want to get the most out of the trip and do whats going to be the most fun for the kids. we also dont know if we should just do a one day trip and then do other things in florida or do a more than just the one day trip anyways how much does a trip to disney really cost

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
RMT1995
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Quoting Cee670:

My trip....10 days, 2 adults, 1 child, dining plan, water park option, dining, $3200. Then you tack on my air fare....BUT, I am staying in August when there aren't any promotions.  

Sounds close to our last trip - Went the first 10 days of November, 2 adults, 1 kid (4 yo at the time), dining plan happened to be FREE when we booked, no water park, stayed in a value (ASMo - planned on POFQ but decided to drop to a value and add the extra day). We drove there and back (from Boston, straight down, cheapy VA motel on the way back) and spent about $3500, that included spending on "stuff" (souveniers, drinks, luau, tea at the GF, etc) And we only got a 5 day ticket, spent the rest of the time at other places (Boardwalk, hotel pool, Downtown, etc)

djg0622
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM
I saw that you mentioned going in July just remember that fl has 100 degree weather in the summer and you can expect rain that will make it extremely humid. It can be miserable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:56 AM
Also, you likely will not get much in the way of discounts, and won't be able to snag fre dining if you go in July. It's peak season, which means higher hotel costs, and lots more people.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of factors. Disneyworld.com has a nice tool for pricing out your vacation, including airfare. I would recommend looking at that, as others have. It will give you the best idea.

The meal plan feeds you twice a day, plus a snack per day, and for the most part, even paying for it, you should be able to save a bit over all on the costs of the food- plus, paying for food up front means you don't have unexpected surprises.

Ways you can save- lodging can be done on or off property, which means staying in a hotel on the Disney property or not. Off property tends to be cheaper by a bit, but there are cons- no dining plan available, no extra long hours, you have to pay to park when you arrive at the park ($14/day), and you will need to either have your vehicle, rent a vehicle, or rely on sometimes unpredictable shuttles from your hotel.

Food- Disney does allow you to bring food in, as well as small soft sided coolers. You can pack your lunch to avoid having to eat in the parks. Quick service meals are not too bad, but sit down meals can be very pricey.

Souvenirs- buy things ahead of time, and stash them away for surprises during the trip.

We are going to cost more than what most people have, but we are a family with 3 kids, which means a bigger hotel room, and all 3 kids are over the age of $10, which means adult ticket prices, and adult meal plan prices. That really jacks the price up for us. On average, a 7daytriptypically prices out at $6500 before air fair for us.

Given that you have an infant, you don't have to get a bigger room,but I will say that the All Star rooms might feel very ramped with a pack n play in it in addition to 4 more people.

Price it out on Disneyworld.com, the do a web search for cheap airfare if you planto fly, and go from there.
patnic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, the price of the ticket goes down each day, so I would probably spend my whole time at Disney, then next time do the other parks.

We spent a little over $2000 for 7 nights at a Moderate.  This included 2 meals and 2 snacks, tickets and hotel.  Add on an additional $75 for a stroller.  We brought cereal from home and bought a milk on site.  And we used Disney Transportation so we didn't rent a car.  We have 4 in our family.

We didn't do any shopping there for souvenirs or anything like that.

It was a great vacation.  My husband didn't even want to go, I kinda had to make him.  Now we are going again in October.  And he already asked would we go to DIsney in the summer : )

ladyfi7
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Unless you and the kids love really hot humid weather July is hot in Florida...we ended up finding the springs and aircondition because July was miserable...Mar. April an May are better....

Strega
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:23 AM

We went February 28th to March 6th. I booked through Disney, and the Package ran us about $2600 for the 4 of us--but we paid for Quick Service Dining because there were no specials at the time. We stayed at All Star Movies and loved it! We had an 8-Day Ticket, but we didn't do Park Hopper or Water Parks.  Next time we go (September, 2013), hopefully we'll have gotten another PIN or they'll be running the Free Dining. We'll also try a Moderate for our next trip, maybe. I really did like Movies, though. So, if we ultimately don't feel like spending the extra money for Moderate, we'll stay there again. And I think we'll do the Park Hopper.

The Air Fare ran us another $1000, but Southwest is worth every single penny!

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Jansan24
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I would say one day is not enough. The price of the trip varies depending on if you stay at one of their resorts, if you get a meal plan, etc. The best thing to do is to price it out online on their website. You can also see if they are offering any special offers on their website (hotel discount or free meal plan).
LilMissCupcake
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

what is park hopper?

Strega
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM

It's an add-on to your Park Tickets. You can visit different Parks each day if you want. With Regular Tickets, the Park you visit is the only one you can visit that Day.\

More information here.

Quoting LilMissCupcake:

what is park hopper?

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

minneapolismama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM
I would recommend another time also, unless july is the only time you have free. The heat and lack of deals makes it the worst time to go. We went in Feb this year with 2 adults, 1 child and 1 baby (free) it was 2500ish for flight, value resort, 6 day non hopper tickets and the regular dining plan- quick service came free and we upgraded it. I am hoping desperately for free dining code or for everyone in jan-feb next year so we can go again. It saved us about 1000!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)