• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how far in advance to start planning?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

we plan on going in Dec 2014 and I am starting some planning now.

any tips would be great

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Wow that's really far out! I guess I would start by browsing the resorts and deciding which one you'd like to stay at. And get an idea of how many days u want to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rychelle
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Since you can book anything yet, start researching resorts like Jess said. Figure out some dates you think you will go. If you ate planning on making things like homemade autograph books, Epcot passports, tshirts, room decorations etc you can get a jump start in those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

that far out I would decide how long...and which resort and calculated all the expensive, then figure out how much I really need to put away each month to save enough. Remember, to include souvenirs etc.

I am going in 2013 Sept. I have gone online and put information in like I am going this year to see my options. I know it will probably be a bit more expensive next year since well you know inflation. I know in sept they often have 'free' dining but I am caculating on that they don't. Also we are staying at a vaule. So now I am looking at if they do have 'free dining' do I want to upgrade or not? Since its my first trip to wdw I am torn. I don't like the sit down restaurants at DL which I go to often. And my son really doesn't like meeting the Charaters...so but my mom who is going with us wants to do the Aloha? dinner at the Poly cause she said she loved that show when it was at disneyland in the 80s if its the same, she wants to see. I want to go to T-rex but other than that we have no interested in sit down. We are calculating about 10 days. I am getting the mega season pass this Feb when my passes are up so we can even do a water park if we wanted to next Sept. I am taking $1,500 for souvenirs and extra snacks etc. If we get the free dining quick service we will have roughly another $500.

Rychelle
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Ohhh good advice on the saving. Figure out a resort and dates and price it out for those dates this year with all the things you want. Hoppers, dining etc. and see how much the quote is. 2014 prices may go up but it will be a good estimate so you can figure out how much it will cost and how much to set aside each month if needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Quoting Rychelle:

Since you can book anything yet, start researching resorts like Jess said. Figure out some dates you think you will go. If you ate planning on making things like homemade autograph books, Epcot passports, tshirts, room decorations etc you can get a jump start in those.

tshirts and room secorations????

minneapolismama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

yeah, that's pretty far away to plan now. i would just get a notebook and make it all about disney. get online if you want to read reviews on hotels, restaurants and everything you can and make lists of things you might be interested in. chances are things will change between now and then and even what your kids are into will change a lot. saving is a good place to start- and like others said buying little things like autograph books, maybe pins if they want to trade, and setting them aside for the trip can help.

Rychelle
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Some families like to make personalized tshirts. Print iron on decals and such. And some decorate thier room/window with little stuffed animals and signs and such. If you go on disboards.com there is a creative board that has a ton of that stuff you can see to get ideas if you want. It's also a great site for all your planning

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Rychelle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM

oh ok, we don't do that kind of stuff. So far I really like the Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, it looks really neat.

Quoting Rychelle:

Some families like to make personalized tshirts. Print iron on decals and such. And some decorate thier room/window with little stuffed animals and signs and such. If you go on disboards.com there is a creative board that has a ton of that stuff you can see to get ideas if you want. It's also a great site for all your planning

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Rychelle:

Rychelle
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Yeah we didn't either. I just made custom autograph books. That was fun! :) yes AKL is very nice!

Quoting notjstasocermom:

oh ok, we don't do that kind of stuff. So far I really like the Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, it looks really neat.

Quoting Rychelle:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Rychelle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM

yeah, we made mickey mouse head tie-dyed tshirts to take with us, I'm getting some little white velcro shoes from hobby lobby and painting mickey heads on them for my youngest, I'm also making mouse ear hair clippies, and we used sticky tack to put the mouse head shaped paint chips on the wall to do a count-down (we started at 45 days out)...but there are loads of cute disney things you can do to get ready...we're planning on going either nov/dec of 2014 or feb 2015 again when the little girls are older and we're putting away like 100 a month starting after this trip just for that trip in the future to start with, we'll add to it with income tax return and the bonus checks we get.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Rychelle:

Mom to three beautiful girls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)