Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

DL Vs. WDW

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Which should we do for October 2013?

Options:

Disneyland

WDW

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

I need some... help. LOL.

DH and I are HUGE Disney fans. And of course, our lil 5 YO is too. Lol. We had anticipated going to DLthis year, until we found out that I am pregnant and due in Sept. So, we decided to post pone till next Oct for Halloween. Well, messing around on DL.com and WDW.com I was looking at prices for going in Oct this year (just to get a rough estimate for next year). At first I just stuck to DL. We live in PHX Az, so its like a 5 hr dirve that costs about $150ish to drive. Plus, I have NEVER been to WDW. I LOVE LOVE LOVE DL.

Well, DH made a joke to me today about WDW and it got me thinking I should see how much it would cost. We had had an agreement that we wouldnt go to WDW till the baby (due in Sept) is at least 4-5. That way she could enjoy it more. But, I thought I'd try it anyway.

I was IN SHOCK! We were gonna stay at The Grand Californian (simply cuz... I told DH if we were waiting till next year.. we were going big! lol). Well, I did the DL vacay at the GC and the total for a 6 day ParkHopper staying fomr 10/1-10/7 was $3700ish. (not too bad actually), however this doesn't include dining OR Gas!!. BUT.. when I went to WDW and did the Pop Century (Cuz I think that hotel looks AWESOME!), Basic dining (1 meal, 1 quick serve, 1 snack), flight for the 3 of us (baby on lap), and the ground transport... it came to $3900!!!! Thats $200 MORE than DL and includes EVERYTHING!

I told DH we may end up in FL next year. After he looked it over... he agreed.

So, heres my question. Would you do WDW with a 1 year old? We wanna celebrate her Bday and do Halloween in Oct. so it would be shortly after her 1st bday.

Would you do DL or WDW?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ahenderson0709
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

We did WDW with two one year olds. They had fun. I was surprised at how much there was for them to do. :)

eykelley
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Quoting ahenderson0709:

We did WDW with two one year olds. They had fun. I was surprised at how much there was for them to do. :)

Really??? Thats great! I want to go to WDW SOO bad since we have NEVER been. We took DS to DL when he was 10 months and he had a blast. So, I was thinking maybe 1 would be ok for WDW.

I'm calling them now to find out what we can do. :) Hoping they can book our hotel now.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
We just did pop century with our 5 year old and one year old last month. We do WDW a lot because we have annual passes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mabdallah
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 4:54 AM
I would never compare the grand californian to pop. I guess I am just not a fan of the value resorts. I live in WA and if we ever went to DW we would stay Deluxe, it would be worth it to save longer to have a more pleasant hotel\resort experience. But that is just me. Going all that way. I am totally for the Grand Californian.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
minneapolismama
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Pop is not fancy at all, nothing like where u were planning to stay in DL. How much are your plane tickets? We did 7 days 6 nights with 2 adults, 1 4 year old and a 1 year old for 2500 fpr EVERYTHING because dining was free- in Oct you might get lucky but they always do it in Sept if you qwould go then. I prefer WDW but its been a long time since I was in DL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazybones27
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I did WDW when our DD was 8 months old the first time. We Live in NJ and have two children. They are now ages 4 and 2 1/2. Our DD(4) is going on her 6th trip and our DS(2 1/2) on his 5th trip. So I've done all the ages before those so far and they all have their ups and down, but I will say its so easy to manage a child 1 and under at WDW.

Make use of the baby care centers in each of the parks. I wish there was more then one in each park, but what can you do. It's indoors and you can bring your little one in to feed, diaper change, rest room break, or whatever. They have a full kitchen if you need to eat up a meal, wash a bottle or cup. Did you run out of wipes? They have them for sale in the kitchen. I love the baby care centers :).

I think you'll find your 1yr old will have a blast with everything going on around them :).
nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Yep the baby care centers are awesome

Quoting crazybones27:

I did WDW when our DD was 8 months old the first time. We Live in NJ and have two children. They are now ages 4 and 2 1/2. Our DD(4) is going on her 6th trip and our DS(2 1/2) on his 5th trip. So I've done all the ages before those so far and they all have their ups and down, but I will say its so easy to manage a child 1 and under at WDW.

Make use of the baby care centers in each of the parks. I wish there was more then one in each park, but what can you do. It's indoors and you can bring your little one in to feed, diaper change, rest room break, or whatever. They have a full kitchen if you need to eat up a meal, wash a bottle or cup. Did you run out of wipes? They have them for sale in the kitchen. I love the baby care centers :).

I think you'll find your 1yr old will have a blast with everything going on around them :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawne98
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I say WDW but only if you know you'll again when she is older....if no then wait unitl she is older to enjoy it....

eykelley
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Oh we will def come back becuz DH wants to stay at the Animal Kindom resort. But that will be when we have a bit more money to spend. :) I just didn't realize it would cost us LESS to go to WDW!!! Lol.

And to all those above about Pop- I know it's not as fancy. DH hates the DL hotel and so we decide if we were going we stay at GC. DS loves the look of POP so we wantto try it. As long as it is ON property where we get the benefits (key card used for meals, dining plan, etc) that's all I care about. Like I said, we plan to do the Villas at Animal Kingdom next time we come. S

Quoting Dawne98:

I say WDW but only if you know you'll again when she is older....if no then wait unitl she is older to enjoy it....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
patnic
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I would be too chicken to take a one year old to Disney, but I'm sure it will be fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN