Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Spirit Airlines?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
  • 6 Replies
Looking to book our flights for Sept.we usually fly Jet Blue or Southwest,has anyone flown with Spirit?What was your experience and would u recommend them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
patnic
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Don't fly Spirit!

1. Flew to the Bahamas from Detroit with a layover in Florida.  Got delayed in Florida for 3 or 4 hours.

2. On the way back, we left the Bahamas right on time, but then got delayed again in Florida.  The flight ahead of us to Detroit was also delayed.  It went downhill after that:

a) The gate agents were bad and rude.  Didn't know what was going on.  The boards at the gates were constantly changing and messing up between the two Detroit flights.  They actually told the flight before us that if they were not at the gate they wouldn't be getting back to Detroit in a few days!

b) It gets worse!  So then, like 4 hours later, they announce to the earlier flight that their flight has been cancelled and to go down to the gate agents on the floor below.  So then there is a mass rush of these poor people to get down there.  THEN after they cleared out those people they then announced that our flight was ready to board!   I think if any of those people knew that, there would have been a riot.

c) So we board, then this poor lady with two younger kids get on the plane at the very last second.  The flight attendant just keeps on going up and down the aisle all nervous.  My friend and I stop the flight attendant and ask if he was looking for seats together for the mom and kids, and he said yes.  So we offered our seats up.  He NEVER made an announcement asking people to change seats, he just paced.  So he delayed the flight!   (I will say, he was very nice to our later, giving us drinks and snacks.)

c) Seats are horrible!  They say they are "pre-tilted" or something like that, but they are not.  I get motion sickness pretty easy, and I need to recline my seat.  Seating straight up was very uncomfortable to me.

d) Check their baggage fees.  Usually their tickets might be cheaper than Delta, but you are going to have to pay higher baggage fees.  I think they charge for carry ons!!

e) And I didn't like the flight attendants and ads in the plane trying to sell me a credit card.

I recently got my tickets Florida to MCO - Spirit was $185 and Delta was $200.  I gave all my money to Delta.  

Hmcran
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM
I think they are the airline charging for stowing carryons in the overhead compartment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
minneapolismama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I haven't flown spirit in years but my family does all the time. They get tickets for $11 each way and yes they pay for a carry on but it still way cheaper for them. If I saw the option for that I would take it. But I wouldn't take them unless it was cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM
My family has flown Spirit many times with no problems. They usually have very good deals.
tonijmccann
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I always fly in Spirit because they have the best deals. However, add in that you have to pay for bags. 

Refurbished
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't fly the cheap regional airlines.  They hire pilots with very little experience and pay their first year copilots like 16K per year.  You get what you pay for, and safety isn't something I'd try to cut corners on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)