Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

UGGGH!! Leaving for Disney in 10 days so why all the drama...

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM
  • 26 Replies

UGGH, I don't know how much more I can take!!  We have been planning this surprise trip to Disney for our DDs for the past 6 months & now all of the sudden there is all of this drama.  My MIL basically invited herself on this trip once we told her we were going.  She used the old I'll go with you guys & help you pay for it you just go ahead & plan it whatever you decide is fine with me & my DH fell for it.  So we went ahead & made all of our dining reservations showed them to her & boom she doesn't like any of the times for 1 of the days  reservations so she went ahead & made a reservation at another restaurant for all of us at a later time.  I say whatever I'm not fighting over a dinner time.  Then she talks to my DH & talks him into letting her take the girls over night the night before we leave & we will surprise them at her house instead of at ours.  we fought about it for a few days & I got tired of it & said whatever he wants to do but I don't think it's right.  So he goes & tells his mom okay the girls will be with her the night before knowing I wasn't happy with it.  Well now my mom is designing t shirts for the girls so I thought I would be nice if she gave them to the girls the morning of after we tell them.  So DH calls his mom to find out if it's okay for my mom to be there & she tells him NO she didn't think it would be okay.  WHAT REALLY!!!  So I tell DH I didn't think it was right of her to say she didn't think it was okay for my mom to be there,  she is going to spend 5 days with us there, she gets to be there their first plane ride, the first time they step foot in the Magic Kingdom, & all of the other firsts that are going to happen.  So I told him this afternoon all of this needs to stop, because we were doing this before she decided she was going, and this was/ IS suppose to be for the girls& that I wanted to reveal the trip to them at our house so they can have that memory here in our home.  He doesn't see it from my point of view only from my MIL is going to be upset, yell at him & that she is helping us pay for the trip.   AAAAHHHH  I don't know what to do & I'm almost to the point of saying I can't wait for this trip to be over & we haven't even left yet.  I want this to be a great trip for my DDs & DH & I but so far all we have been doing is fighting.  Sorry for this being so long & the rant but I have no one else to talk to & I am about to lose it on someone & just blurt it out to the girls we are going to Disney.

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Britt
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

What on EARTH is her reasoning for not wanting your mom there? What kind of rude, childish behavior is that?

I'd tell her "Ok, then, nevermind. The kids are staying with us the night before so MY mom can be there".

We just got back from a trip with my inlaws and I SERIOUSLY regret it. It's not my MIL at least, it's my FIL who was driving me nuts. 

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

And this is why we pay for all our own things.  

Indebted to no one!

eringlading
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I would never go with someone who thinks their say is more important. Tell ur dh he needs to realize the trip is for ur kids and not his mom. I would just have them stay home the night before. Sounds like she will find an excuse to surprise them herself without u being there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Very democratic solution.  If she is paying for 1/5th of the trip then she gets 1/5th of the say.  And if shes paying for 1/2 the trip she gets 50% vote.  If you are paying more than her you will always out vote her.  

patnic
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

That stinks (I'm being polite)!  Thank goodness have a good mil.

This is what I would do:

1) Girls do not spend the night at her house.  If she wants, she can spend the night at your house - even on the couch.

2) Your mom can be there - not MIL's decision.  And now, it's at your house, so she has no say.

From now on, I wouldn't even ask you mil anything.  You two made all the plans.  She is coming along for the ride.

Yellowlily333
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM
4 moms liked this

aww. Honestly, I would have your mom come over 2 days before you left with the T shirts and tell them then, then drop the girls off your MIL the next day and have then tell her. :)

angelmom224
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM
That is so wrong. I hate when MILs think they have final say. Sounds like DH is a mamas boy. He needs to grow up. Hopefully things will get better and you guys will have a wonderful trip.

Her saying your mom can't be there is just the ultimate lowest thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Was she offering to have the girls at her house so you could pack without them knowing? And do you really think your kids would care where they found out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
englebabies
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Your DH sounds kinda like mine. He is always more worried about his mom's feelings then mine. My MIL can be wonderful at times but is a royal pain in the butt most of the time. I would do like others say try to put your foot sown as YOU planned this trip not her. Your mom should be allowed to be there and see the girls before you leave. Good luck on your trip if she is like this now she will be like this the whole trip. Next time don't tell her until you are getting on the plane would be my suggestion.

pnut1027
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM
No she wanted to take the girls so she could see their reaction. She said that is going to be the best part of the trip, to which I disagree since they have been asking to go to Disney for atleast 2 yrs now. And her reason for not wanting my mom there was because they don't get along so she didn't feel like it would be right to invite her to her house so she could also be apart of it. We finally agreed that the girls will stay home & as planned we will record it so anyone that wants to see it can. I told DH if this is how the whole trip is going to go then i will be taking the girls by myself to the parks because she is not going to ruin their first visit to Disney.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Was she offering to have the girls at her house so you could pack without them knowing? And do you really think your kids would care where they found out?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)