Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

We will have to fly when we go.  I have 4 kids one teen and the other 3 are 8, 6 and 6.  When I fly I know getting a flight with layovers is cheaper.  I have never flown with my kids, is it easier for them to go straight through or better with layovers?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amzbrznjz
by Heather on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I fly nonstop...but you have older kids...my youngest is 3 so we go nonstop

angelroberts
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I have only flown with kids on a one hour flight before, so cant answer with kids but with older kids they can walk and help carry carry-ons.  Just make sure and choose flights with over an hour of layover, in case you have to change terminals and bathroom and maybe a snack break.  While flying non-stop is usually the quickest way at least one-stop might be a good break for the kids.  Where will yall be flying from?

Ambear72
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Reno NV,  I was thinking with non stop they may get tired of sitting, its like a 6 hour flight from here.  But if we do a lay over they can get out and run if they have too, or at least walk around a bit.  I dont mind taking longer to get there or home.  Im just trying to think what would be best for the kiddos.

Quoting angelroberts:

I have only flown with kids on a one hour flight before, so cant answer with kids but with older kids they can walk and help carry carry-ons.  Just make sure and choose flights with over an hour of layover, in case you have to change terminals and bathroom and maybe a snack break.  While flying non-stop is usually the quickest way at least one-stop might be a good break for the kids.  Where will yall be flying from?

patnic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

For my family, we would fly direct.  I would delay my vacation, if I had to.  That is a long day of traveling with a layover for a famly.  

I flew to Alaska with a 5 and 3 year old and that flight was 6/7 hours.  The way there, they were awake the whole time, we watched videos.  The way home, I gave them a child's Dramamine and they slept all the way home, they were pretty exhausted anyway.  If we would have had a layovers, they would have been going crazy with all the traveling.

Good luck with your decision.

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM
There are a few schools of thought on this. I am on mobile now but will post more later. The layover can be tricky with the wrong timing or location. On a Reno to MCO flight I would look for DFW as the stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Ok on computer now.  A few factors.  Reno may not be your best choice airport to fly out of.   Have you though about Sacramento.  Its a bit of a drive but easily about $100 cheaper per person.  Plus the drive isnt horrid.  Try to find a layover in the houston, dallas area as they are about as "middle" as you are going to get.   A stop too far east or west breaks your flights into 1 1/2 and then 4 1/2-5.  If you are going to be on for 5 might as well just stay on the extra hour.  Unless price is the driving factor.  With the time difference you are spending a whole day to get here so I would not do more than 1 stop unless the savings was HUGE as your 8 hour travel time (plus time difference) is now easily 12 hours.  

Ambear72
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks so much for that advise. I will for sure keep all that in mind when we book our flight. Thanks

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Ok on computer now.  A few factors.  Reno may not be your best choice airport to fly out of.   Have you though about Sacramento.  Its a bit of a drive but easily about $100 cheaper per person.  Plus the drive isnt horrid.  Try to find a layover in the houston, dallas area as they are about as "middle" as you are going to get.   A stop too far east or west breaks your flights into 1 1/2 and then 4 1/2-5.  If you are going to be on for 5 might as well just stay on the extra hour.  Unless price is the driving factor.  With the time difference you are spending a whole day to get here so I would not do more than 1 stop unless the savings was HUGE as your 8 hour travel time (plus time difference) is now easily 12 hours.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmom224
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM
I just booked my moms flight to dallas for the holidays. And the non stop flights were cheaper. I don't think I could do a flight with lay overs and kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.LoVeMyBuG.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I personally like layovers, maybe I am weird but I like the break to get up and stretch our legs and grab a bite to eat. However it sucks when you get a layover that is super short, we once had to literally run from one plane to the next! But usually we have a good 2 hour gap in between flights, anything more than 3 hours is not fun though. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)