Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

I just need help all the way around LOL

Posted by   + Show Post

We planned a trip in 2011 and 2 weeks to the day that we were scheduled to leave for our trip our oldest daughter fell and broke her arm. She had to have surgery and a year of therapy. :( My brother found out in 2012 that he had leukemia so we could not go last year either and we are FINALLY ready to go now. We are booked for the last week in May! :) Yeah~!

I do not remember what all we had planned on trying on the last trip. So this is like starting over on the planning and the kids are older now and everyone's taste has changed etc. So what would you recommend for dining, shows etc for girls that will be 6 and 8 when we travel. I am so excited to get it all planned out, but overwhelmed at the same time! I would love any guidance anyone can offer. I would really like to get our reservations nailed down. I know last time I had waited and I wasn't able to get reservations for some of the stuff we wanted. We will be staying at the Polynesian if that helps. Thank you so much in advance!

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
angelmom224
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM
When I war planning dining I just looked at each restaurant on the disney site and at the menu on allears.net. To get an idea of food and cost. Of course cost isn't an issue since you have the dining plan. Some will say plan for down time but I have heard the opposite too. Some kids won't nap and just get upset cause you left the park. I say listen to your kids and let them decide. We have never taken breaks if one of the kids wanted to nap they would just do it in the stroller and usually while we were waiting for a parade to start. Worth the amount of time you have hoppers are good. That way you can go back and do your favorite things or things you missed. A lot of the extras ask depends on cost and what your limit is. We did BBB once and out was nice. We did the whole package dress shoes makeup hair and photos. I want to do it again with the girls now but with five I think we will have to go smaller package wide and get the dresses separate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I wish I would have thought to book the bbb and then dinner with the princesses after. I booked a breakfast with princess. Which do you all think would be better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmom224
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If you get a breakfast that is before the park opens then keep it. Getting into the park early before it opens to the public is a nice advantage. If you do the BBB the day before the breakfast you can always do her hair again the same way. 

When we took my DD we went to the DTD one cause it was the only one they had at the time and then we had dinner at RFC. The next day for our park day I just put her hair back the same way they had it. She just wore regular play clothes. It was June so it was hot and those Disnay princess dresses just look hot and uncomfy for a day in the park. 

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Do you have pictures or instructions on how to make the books? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have some.

I was able to get a reservation for 835 for the Crystal Palace. I hope that will still be a good opportunity to get some picutres :)

I have reservations for them to do BBB and then go to dinner at CRT. I know they will LOVE that :) I also have us down for a dinner at Akershus.....I wonder if they need to do both?

Thank you :)

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Definitely do Bbb and Cindella's Royal Table. If you are using a dining plan, the restaurant is two table service credits each. I went with my 5 yo niece and 9 yo nephew, and they were both enamored. If it's too pricey, or you can't get in, there is a Princess dinner at Akershus in Epcot's Norway. It's only 1 credit, and is often easier to get into. May is only 5 months, so people have already been able to book CRT for a month for the time you are going. 

If you want a neat experience, try getting into Crystal Palace before MK opens for the day. Youg eat to go into the park while it is almost completely empty. Just make sure it is not EMH in the morning that day, or it will be busier with hotel guests in the park. But you get the experience (and photos) of a nearly empty Main Street. The meal is a Pooh character breakfast. 

Make sure to plan down time back at the hotel. Kids (and adults) get tired fast when you spend all day in the parks. If you get out early, head back around noon-1pm to the hotel, take a nap, hit the pool, eat some lunch away from the park, then head back to the parks around 4-5. Plan for a nap especially if you are hoping to do late night park hours. 

It can be really easy to any to just power through, but it's sensory overload for kids. Excitement, loud sounds, tons of people, bright colors, rides, foods, it can be a lot. 

Try to plan to be at MK at opening at least one day. They roll out on the train with singers, dancers, and costumed characters for a fun song, then the characters are right there for autographs. 

You can pick up autograph books online or in any of the gift shops. Or you can even design your own. I do digital scrap booking, so I made about 50 different 4x6" images, then got them spiral bound at shutterfly. The pages were photos, but a sharpie worked just fine, and we got a ton of compliments on them. I put together 3 of the books to have characters sign, each different, and each had their names on the cover. The kids loved having them :)

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Do you think the GAC pass is worth the trouble? I have a child with autism as well.....

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

We didn't have park hoppers- I wish we had, but it wasn't my vacation (I took the place of a cheating stbx on an already paid for trip), and I didn't have enough myself to pay for the upgrade after setting aside money for airfair (I had a few weeks notice).

Anyway, I do recommend getting one, so you can bounce between parks. We only did about 2/3 of a day at AK. It closed early, and we didn't get there until around 10am, and up until noon, we spent the morning between Tusker House, and getting my autistic nephew his GAC. It wasn't a favorite park for us adults, or the kids.

Oh- one last thing we did that was a real sanity saver. There are tucked away playground type areas in each of the 4 parks, some more hidden than others. These are a GREAT place for kids to run off extra energy, and have some unstructured time.

AK: Boneyard in Dino Land
Epcot: Several rides in Future Land exit into play areas, like Imagination.
HS: Hony I Shrunk The Kids playset
MK: Tom Sawyer's Island

The Boneyard and TS's Island were our favorites. They weren't busy, and the kids could just run and play. For as much walking the kids do in the parks, it's nice for them to just be able to run.

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM

We have the BBB scheduled.....I really think we are going to take our own dresses. I am not sure yet.....I have 2 girls. I was able to get reservations for the BBB with dinner after at the CRT so I switched it and added a breakfast at Crystal Palace to get us into the park early one morning.

Quoting angelmom224:

When I war planning dining I just looked at each restaurant on the disney site and at the menu on allears.net. To get an idea of food and cost. Of course cost isn't an issue since you have the dining plan. Some will say plan for down time but I have heard the opposite too. Some kids won't nap and just get upset cause you left the park. I say listen to your kids and let them decide. We have never taken breaks if one of the kids wanted to nap they would just do it in the stroller and usually while we were waiting for a parade to start. Worth the amount of time you have hoppers are good. That way you can go back and do your favorite things or things you missed. A lot of the extras ask depends on cost and what your limit is. We did BBB once and out was nice. We did the whole package dress shoes makeup hair and photos. I want to do it again with the girls now but with five I think we will have to go smaller package wide and get the dresses separate.

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

We like all food, except there are 2 in our party that are allergic to pineapple, fish and green peas.

We have a Chef Mickey breakfast booked. :) Is the California grill kid friendly? The stuff I looked at online made it kind of seem like more of an adult atmosphere??
I was able to switch the reservation and get them into the BBB and then have dinner at CRT :) I was really happy about that and then I scheduled a breakfast at the Crystal Palace to get us into the parks early :)

Thank you for the suggestion about the insurance. I did not even ask how much it was when booking. I told them it was not negotiable. We had to have it :) We had it last time and it seriously saved our bottoms. I am also very appreciative of the prayers. I am praying that everything goes smooth and we finally get to experience Disney :)

Thank you so much! :)

Quoting gracieb3:

Polynesian has the Luau show which is nice with okay food.  Adults and kids will enjoy the Pioneer hall Hoopty Do Review. I think dining at Chef Mickey's breakfast is a must and you can take monorail right over to contemporary. We love California Grill and have been everytime we visited since trying in 2002. It's also in the contemporary. Everything else is good but those are our favorites. What type of food do you like? Magic kingdom also has Crystal Palace breakfast with Winnie the poo and friends. MK also has the dinner with princesses in the castle. If your girls like that it might be nice to schedule that dinner after a bippity boppity boutique appointment. The whole package is roughly $200 but if you have own gown, etc you can just do hair and make up. Prayers this trip goes as planned and gentle suggestion for the trip insurance that covers nearly every situation including incremental travel weather and needed lodging. 

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Yes, it was totally worth it. It took almost no time to get, but it made it so much easier to wait in line with my nephew, who just can not be jostled by people without a meltdown . He has very rigid space concerns- he does not like being touched unexpectedly, especially by strangers. The GAC allowed us to mostly use the less crowded fast pass line. It wasn't something we used every time, but if it was a long line, we did. 

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

Do you think the GAC pass is worth the trouble? I have a child with autism as well.....

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

We didn't have park hoppers- I wish we had, but it wasn't my vacation (I took the place of a cheating stbx on an already paid for trip), and I didn't have enough myself to pay for the upgrade after setting aside money for airfair (I had a few weeks notice).

Anyway, I do recommend getting one, so you can bounce between parks. We only did about 2/3 of a day at AK. It closed early, and we didn't get there until around 10am, and up until noon, we spent the morning between Tusker House, and getting my autistic nephew his GAC. It wasn't a favorite park for us adults, or the kids.

Oh- one last thing we did that was a real sanity saver. There are tucked away playground type areas in each of the 4 parks, some more hidden than others. These are a GREAT place for kids to run off extra energy, and have some unstructured time.

AK: Boneyard in Dino Land
Epcot: Several rides in Future Land exit into play areas, like Imagination.
HS: Hony I Shrunk The Kids playset
MK: Tom Sawyer's Island

The Boneyard and TS's Island were our favorites. They weren't busy, and the kids could just run and play. For as much walking the kids do in the parks, it's nice for them to just be able to run.

gracieb3
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

So sorry just now replying. I hope you have not already been and that I can help again.

Disney is very careful regarding allergies and the chef will visit your table as soon as you identify food allergies. 

California Grill is kid friendly and even has a kid menu but you will find only a handful of children because many consider it fine dining. It is. However it's a must have for us and if you book around the Magic Kingdom fireworks there is a viewing deck. I'm a nervous nelly so my babies only see the fireworks from inside the glass. =) The children's dessert even includes kid sushi made of gummy fish, rice crispy and fruit roll up. I love the filet mignon and purple potatoes. If you have a dining plan, this and Hoopty Do Review will consume double the credits. Both well worth it. If your children are use to restaurants, I do not see dining at California Grill to be a problem. I also can not recommend the filet there enough and if you dine at Tony's in MK, the pork tenderloin is excellent as well.

I'm not a disney expert but we go there every 2-3 years. We have things that we love to do everytime and others that are nice but not needed every trip. Some things we disliked enough to never do again. 

Sounds like you know plenty and sincerely hope you have a blessed and wonderfully magical trip. 

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

We like all food, except there are 2 in our party that are allergic to pineapple, fish and green peas.

We have a Chef Mickey breakfast booked. :) Is the California grill kid friendly? The stuff I looked at online made it kind of seem like more of an adult atmosphere??
I was able to switch the reservation and get them into the BBB and then have dinner at CRT :) I was really happy about that and then I scheduled a breakfast at the Crystal Palace to get us into the parks early :)

Thank you for the suggestion about the insurance. I did not even ask how much it was when booking. I told them it was not negotiable. We had to have it :) We had it last time and it seriously saved our bottoms. I am also very appreciative of the prayers. I am praying that everything goes smooth and we finally get to experience Disney :)

Thank you so much! :)

Quoting gracieb3:

Polynesian has the Luau show which is nice with okay food.  Adults and kids will enjoy the Pioneer hall Hoopty Do Review. I think dining at Chef Mickey's breakfast is a must and you can take monorail right over to contemporary. We love California Grill and have been everytime we visited since trying in 2002. It's also in the contemporary. Everything else is good but those are our favorites. What type of food do you like? Magic kingdom also has Crystal Palace breakfast with Winnie the poo and friends. MK also has the dinner with princesses in the castle. If your girls like that it might be nice to schedule that dinner after a bippity boppity boutique appointment. The whole package is roughly $200 but if you have own gown, etc you can just do hair and make up. Prayers this trip goes as planned and gentle suggestion for the trip insurance that covers nearly every situation including incremental travel weather and needed lodging. 

Jansan24
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Iagree with Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Have you tried to get a reservation for the new Be Our Guest rest.? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)