Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Any teacher's in this group? (taking kids out of school for Disney)

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 30 Replies

Do you frown upon parents that take their kids out of school for a week for Disney? I hate going during breaks because of the crowds, we have to really save & sacrifice some things to be able to afford Disney and I want to be able to enjoy it and not fight the crowds and long lines. I really want to go the last week of September but I know that's right after school has started, is that frowned on?

Anyone else pull their kids out? DD's 1st grade teacher had no issue but her teacher this year seemed irritated about it. 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I was a teacher for 14 years until I "retired" when my oldest was born. I taught grades K-3 and my feelings were mixed as per the specifics of the vacation. The September ones are hard because we are just starting to get into a routine and there is a learning curve to get kids who may have had different teachers prior into my classroom rules, schedule, etc. Also depending on the parent involvement, child's aptitude and attitude to catching up when they return are all factors that come into play.

As a parent I have taken my oldest out for two weeks in K and he will be out one week next month. My suggestion is to give the teacher plenty of notice and try to have him do some work prior to the vacation so that the teacher will not have a child behind when he returns. If there are 25 kids in the class and they all take a vacation during the year and she then has to catch them up when they return its definately taxing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Missy13d69
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Our school district is so strict about excessive absences, that we decided that we would go in the second half of the school year, closer to the end of the year. That way, if our son got sick and missed a bunch of school, we would just cancel the trip instead of ending up in a truancy hearing if we took the trip in the fall and he got sick in Feb. It happened to us last year. We went to a funeral and he missed 4 days of school, then he got really sick towards the end of Jan. and missed 9 days. It put him over the 10 days they allow (5 excused, 5 unexcused) and we had to go to a truancy hearing. We were super lucky that they decided to accept the proof we had of everything, because they were saying that one of us would have to go to jail!We have found out though, that if we make the trip educational, and he presents what he learned when we get back, the trip will be completely excused.

We also didn't like the idea of pulling him out for a week at the beginig of the year. It takes a while to fall into routine at the begining of the year, and we didn't want him to have a hard time adjusting when we got back.

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I am planning to take my daughter out next October (towards the end- 18 or 21-25). I know her school will not have a major issue withit. I help out in the school, and she does good in class, and stays caught up. I will ask for work ahead of time for her to do before we go, though. Some teachers I have heard hate doing work ahead, where as oths are fine with it. 

disneymom2two
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a teacher.  I have no problem with kids going out because I feel travel is educational in and of itself but I wouldn't do it during the first month because that's when routines are being learned and everyone's settling in.  Personally, I'd recommend the first week of December.

AkashaGermaine
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Our school district does independent study. Basically they send school work with you on vacation. Yeah its a pain but that way kids aren't behind when they get back. This year, DDs teacher included activities that meshed with our vacation. Ex: write a sentence about what you did each day and draw a picture of it. DD knows that if she doesn't keep up with her school work we can't go to the park the next day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rychelle
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM
This can be a big hot button issue for some (so just be prepared). I feel it's a personal choice. Depends on how you feel, how your child does in school and your district. We personally have taken our kids out. They are straight A students, well behaved, and no prob making up the work. The school is ok with family vacations, they just won't give work to take. You need to get it on return to school. To avoid extra stress on the teacher to come up with her lesson plans early etc just for one student.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
That lesson plan in advance excuse is crap. With the exception of my first year I could tell you around where we would be at any given week in the next marking period. We had to submit our curriculum to the curriculum supervisor 6 weeks before the marking period started. Of course you may be off by a day or two but by a week out you know where you will be for at least 4 of the 5 days. You may cover a smidge more or less but nothing substantial.

Quoting Rychelle:

This can be a big hot button issue for some (so just be prepared). I feel it's a personal choice. Depends on how you feel, how your child does in school and your district. We personally have taken our kids out. They are straight A students, well behaved, and no prob making up the work. The school is ok with family vacations, they just won't give work to take. You need to get it on return to school. To avoid extra stress on the teacher to come up with her lesson plans early etc just for one student.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I used to work at the Disney Store and thought it was awful when parents would pull their kids out of school for a vacation.

And then I became a mom and everything changed.

Once DS (my oldest) hit elementary school, we found out that school is closed the entire week of Thanksgiving so now we generally go the Thursday before and fly home Thanksgiving morning. I have pulled them out a few times during the year but now that DS in in middle school, I'm more hesitant because he'll miss so much work.

I never judge anyone who does this. For as much as I value education, you can't put a price on quality family time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rychelle
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Got ya. Well that's what I was told by the teacher. But it is school policy on the handbook that you can't get work till after you return to school.. Whatever their reason is then.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

That lesson plan in advance excuse is crap. With the exception of my first year I could tell you around where we would be at any given week in the next marking period. We had to submit our curriculum to the curriculum supervisor 6 weeks before the marking period started. Of course you may be off by a day or two but by a week out you know where you will be for at least 4 of the 5 days. You may cover a smidge more or less but nothing substantial.

Quoting Rychelle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM
It's because its a bit of extra work for the teacher. Getting things out ahead of time. Writing up a syllabus for the time out. IMO it's maybe an hour of extra work and if you know in advance you can put the things aside as you are doing/planning them. If you have a class of 25 and they all do it then it can add up or if you have different kids that work at different levels going the same week it may not be as simple as making two copies. I just find it odd that teachers and administrators are allowed to have vacation days but not the kids. I worked with a principal that made the parents feel like criminals if they pulled their child out for a vacation.

Quoting Rychelle:

Got ya. Well that's what I was told by the teacher. But it is school policy on the handbook that you can't get work till after you return to school.. Whatever their reason is then.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Quoting Rychelle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN