Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Any teacher's in this group? (taking kids out of school for Disney)

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you frown upon parents that take their kids out of school for a week for Disney? I hate going during breaks because of the crowds, we have to really save & sacrifice some things to be able to afford Disney and I want to be able to enjoy it and not fight the crowds and long lines. I really want to go the last week of September but I know that's right after school has started, is that frowned on?

Anyone else pull their kids out? DD's 1st grade teacher had no issue but her teacher this year seemed irritated about it. 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
mbrowne1
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I think each teacher is going to give you a different answer based on their experiences. You need to know your child to decide what is okay or not for them. Does your child quickly pick up on new concepts at school? Can they catch up easily on their work or do they struggle and get overwhelmed when extra work is assigned? Does the school have a maximum number of days that they can miss? IMHO, when they are in elementary school, missing school is not crucial if they can easily catch up and understand the concepts missed. No college or future employer is going to look at what they did back then, buy your kids will always remember the memories that you make by taking the time to be with them and doing something special together. 

Loreenny16
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome Mommy 2 - Which school districts allow teachers and principals to have vacation time during the school year? Just curious bc I would love to apply for a teaching position there.  Where I teach, we are frowned upon for even calling out sick.

mama2mycuties
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Our children's school has never made a big deal about it, we've taken them out several times and I know of other family's who do so as well. As my children get older we will be cutting back on it because the workload will be harder to catch up on but in elementary it has not been difficult for them. We choose our dates for a number of reasons including current promotions, crowd calendars because we have two special needs kids, and my husbands work schedule. Being military he has many training thru out the year and so we schedule around that as well...this year we will be going in Sept taking advantage of a military promotion only for that month. We will pull our kids and they will miss eight days of school, although our district calendar is not out yet the week they miss is traditionally itbs week- Iowa tests of basic skills....and I don't mind them missing that I already know they are good students. While we value education we also value quality family time just as much...my husband will be deploying next year and we want some special.memories before he goes :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rissymac78
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I teach 8th grade, and I do have an issue with parents taking their children out of school for vacation.  Our school policy is that the students will receive the work they missed when they return to school.  When a student is out of my class for a week (or more) I can't even begin to explain how much work they missed, and that is just for math.  Not only are they missing new information, they are missing all the class discussions and group work that can never be made up on their own.  I have a student right now that is on vacation in the caribbean for 2 weeks!  She asked for her work and all I could tell her was to check the website for the homework that can be completed online and the rest she will get when she returns.  When I do happen to have something prepared and give the students before their trip, it is hardly ever completed and handed back in.  So now I just tell them they will receive the work when they return.  Who's really doing homework while they are in paradise?!?!  

.LoVeMyBuG.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

In 8th grade, getting ready for high school I can kind of see your point. But I also feel family time is important, sometimes a two week vacation is all the family gets with each other through out the year. We took a two week vacation recently to visit family for a week & then Disney for the other week. My husband doesn't get to see the kids much because of his schedule, our kids only get to see their grandparents if they are lucky once a year. I never had much in the way of family growing up and want different for my kids, I also never got to do much of anything with my family, we never went anywhere! I want my kids to enjoy their childhood and make memories. I won't be taking my kids out for two weeks anymore, as I will agree that that is too long to take from school but we will take a week, two if we do it over spring break or Christmas break.   

Quoting rissymac78:

I teach 8th grade, and I do have an issue with parents taking their children out of school for vacation.  Our school policy is that the students will receive the work they missed when they return to school.  When a student is out of my class for a week (or more) I can't even begin to explain how much work they missed, and that is just for math.  Not only are they missing new information, they are missing all the class discussions and group work that can never be made up on their own.  I have a student right now that is on vacation in the caribbean for 2 weeks!  She asked for her work and all I could tell her was to check the website for the homework that can be completed online and the rest she will get when she returns.  When I do happen to have something prepared and give the students before their trip, it is hardly ever completed and handed back in.  So now I just tell them they will receive the work when they return.  Who's really doing homework while they are in paradise?!?!  

dfollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM
My daughter is in the 9th grade.When we went in July (4th) there were groups there that week that made her mad,didn't bother me too much.So she doesn't want to go back for spring break,but doesn't want to take off from school for any week.

Also,when we go next time we want to take one of my granddaughter's and I do not think her parent's will want to take out of school either.
dfollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Quoting Missy13d69:

Our school district is so strict about excessive absences, that we decided that we would go in the second half of the school year, closer to the end of the year. That way, if our son got sick and missed a bunch of school, we would just cancel the trip instead of ending up in a truancy hearing if we took the trip in the fall and he got sick in Feb. It happened to us last year. We went to a funeral and he missed 4 days of school, then he got really sick towards the end of Jan. and missed 9 days. It put him over the 10 days they allow (5 excused, 5 unexcused) and we had to go to a truancy hearing. We were super lucky that they decided to accept the proof we had of everything, because they were saying that one of us would have to go to jail!We have found out though, that if we make the trip educational, and he presents what he learned when we get back, the trip will be completely excused.

We also didn't like the idea of pulling him out for a week at the beginig of the year. It takes a while to fall into routine at the begining of the year, and we didn't want him to have a hard time adjusting when we got back.

Actually you are kind of lucky and get 5 day's and 5 day's.Here we only get 3 day's and 3 days.And they are not considered excused unless we have a doctors note,unless it is another kind of emergency,like a funeral or baby's birth,etc.But,my daughter does not get sick very much and prefer's not to miss school.But,if let's say she get's the flu and is home and I call in and say so,it's ok for 2 day's on the 3rd day I would have to take her to the doctor on the bus(we do not have a car) and get a note.And then they wonder how the flu turns into epidemic's?????
dfollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Quoting Rychelle:

Oh Rhychelle, I would be livid too! I don't know how many times I have told a teacher.....well are you perfect? No,only Jesus is perfect! A lot of the school policies are so stupid.

In the 1990's I was a cafetera hostess in my youngest son's elementary school.There were some kid's that would push back in there chairs on just two chair legs on the floor and some fell and luckily didn't get hurt.But,I would see kid's do that and I would tell them to sit in the chair properly and if they couldn't do that I would take their chair away.And they would keep doing that,so I would take their chair away and they would stand and eat.The principal came to me and said that I could not do that.I told her fine when a kid falls on this hard floor and bust their head open or hit's their spine then I don't wanta' here it when the parent's sue! Then she said well the parent's won't like this.I told her well the parent's won't like it either when we call them and tell them that their child was taken to the hospital.

More recently,my daughter's english teacher said he understood,but did not except it as an excuse when she cannot complete an assignment because our old computer wouldn't work right.I said OK,then get us a new one.LOL!
AkashaGermaine
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM
My daughter is only in the first grade but she already knows if you don't do your work the night before you don't get to go have fun the next day. That's the way it was for me too, when my parents took us out for vacations. I love my school district' independent study program. But it sounds like there aren't a lot of districts that do this.

Quoting rissymac78:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
miss_AP
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM

My mom doesn't mind unless its during a big project week that the parents have known about ahead of time. Major labs, major reports or presentations, testing week, finals, midterms, etc. Then the parents expect the teachers to move things around to accommodate their vacation and that drives my mom crazy. Regular classroom time with normal homework though doesnt' bother her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)