Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Thrill rides and kids

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 24 Replies

I am taking ds who is almost 4 to disney world in a month (wahoo) but I am not sure how to handle the bigger rides this year. Last time he went we wasn't tall enough to ride any of the bigger rides but now tat he is over 40  inches he can ride splash mountain, big thunder, soarin and a few other thrill rides. I have shown him videos of the rides on youtube and explained they are fast and have big drops and he says he wants to go on them. I am just a little nervous because he is so young and I don't think he really understands what I mean by fast and big drops. I am really afraid he wont get it untill we are on the actual ride and it is too late. Im scared I am going to traumatize  and scare him by him not being able to get off and have to finish the ride even if he hates it.  How would you handle this? Should I start with a certain ride and work our way up if he likes it ? (which ones would be best??) Or do you just have them go on and hope for the best?! Any advice or tips would be apperciated!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Does he like rides when you go to a amusement park, carnival, etc?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buffalove23
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I think soarin is a safe bet to start on, maybe go from there if he's really into rides. But I think soarin would be no big problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AkashaGermaine
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM
My dd has been going on the ever since she could. Her first were the Gadget Go Coaster (we're in Cali) and Matterhorn. At the time the minimum was 35". The Matterhorn has changed since then. Other than a little pre ride anxiety she was fine. This year will be the first that she can go on Indiana Jones and California Screamin' and she's so excited. Ask him once before you get in line and once when you are towards tye front of the line if he's sure he wants to go on. If he backs out the second time you ask, oh well. Dont keep asking repeatedly because you'll make him nervous and second guess himself. But most of all? Have fun!
erd820
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Yes, last year he did go on a kiddie coaster and the fair and he cried the whole time but honestly I think it was more because adults wernt allowed and he was not prepared to do it himself. But the fact that he hated it makes me really nervous to try another thrill ride. Other than that we did all the kid rides at Disney last year with no problems. I just dont know if at three he understands there is no way off and you have to finish the rides. Does anyone know how long soarin is?

-bliss-
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM
My 4yo loves splash, thunder & soarin:)

He did NOT like the tower of terror, lol
buffalove23
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Soarin is less than 5 minutes long. The only thing that may scare him is that there's nothing under his feet...but if he's done peter pan and Winnie the pooh before I think he would be okay

Quoting erd820:

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Yes, last year he did go on a kiddie coaster and the fair and he cried the whole time but honestly I think it was more because adults wernt allowed and he was not prepared to do it himself. But the fact that he hated it makes me really nervous to try another thrill ride. Other than that we did all the kid rides at Disney last year with no problems. I just dont know if at three he understands there is no way off and you have to finish the rides. Does anyone know how long soarin is?

ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter, who is normally timid and shy and cries on a dime, shocked me on our first trip. We went to DHS on our first day. The very first ride we ever tried to go on was the Tower of Terror. I thought for sure she would hate it and cry and never want to ride it again. She didn't like it, she LOVED it. She loved it so much that she drug me back on five more times in a row. She only stopped because I finally put my foot down and made us ride something else. She chose the Rock and Roller Coaster. I warned her that it went very fast and flipped upside down. Once again, I was sure she would hate it, but she LOVED it. We went on it three more times. She was an adrenaline junky and I never would have guessed it.

Who knows, you kiddo may surprise you too. :-)

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Soaring would be a great start- also Barnstormer. BTMR isn't that big, and while there is 1 big drop on Splash Mountain, for the most part, it's a calm, relaxing ride. He should do just fine on that until maybe the very end.

I would be more worried over Space Mountain and Tower of Terror, those I consider a bigger 'thrill' than BTMR, Soaring, and Splash Mountain.

Just start slow- let him opt out, but don't get too in depth in telling him it's scary, or really big, or too fast, etc. Just let him watch the ride videos, and tell him that because he's gotten to be such a big boy, there are fun rides he can go on now that he was too small for before. You've already explained big, speed, etc. Now, play it up as a badge of honor to ride. I've seen a few trip reports where people reward their kids for a new ride with a small ride themed gift from the gift shop, too. Even if it's just a pressed penny from that ride, or maybe the on-ride photo.

If he's not freaked out in line, let him ride- worst case, he won't like it.

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

My nephew was waiting for DHS (4th day I think?) from the start. "Stacey" on the tv had him convinced he would LOVE Tower of Terror. Only thing is- he HATES elevators. He will seriously walk up 6 flights of stairs to avoid an elevator. He does love coasters. Anyway, he dragged me straight to ToT, talked 400 miles a minute to everyone around about the ride, got on, and HATED it. He was screaming for the whole last half "MAKE IT STOP!" I felt so bad for him!

Now Rock N' Roller he loved- I think he and I went on 3 times. Then when his mom and I swapped kids, he dragged her all the way across the park to it, but freaked out before getting on. :(

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

My daughter, who is normally timid and shy and cries on a dime, shocked me on our first trip. We went to DHS on our first day. The very first ride we ever tried to go on was the Tower of Terror. I thought for sure she would hate it and cry and never want to ride it again. She didn't like it, she LOVED it. She loved it so much that she drug me back on five more times in a row. She only stopped because I finally put my foot down and made us ride something else. She chose the Rock and Roller Coaster. I warned her that it went very fast and flipped upside down. Once again, I was sure she would hate it, but she LOVED it. We went on it three more times. She was an adrenaline junky and I never would have guessed it.

Who knows, you kiddo may surprise you too. :-)

djsmommy13
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM
All those rides in Cali u have to be 42 inches
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)