Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying with medication

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

I've read that you can put medicines in your carry on, but they need to be in a quart sized bag.  My concern is my son has this medicine called diastat rectal gel (for seizures so we need it on us at all times) that won't fit in the bag.  Does security make exceptions?  Do I need a note from his doctor or anything?  I've tried looking online but so far, am overwhelmed with all the information.  Thank you ladies!

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2MikeynLando
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I should add that the box it comes in is large.  It's larger Than a DVD box.  It comes in 2 syringes preloaded and set by the pharmacist.  Thanks!

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
The rule for liquids does not apply to meds or breastmilk. Just make sure that there is a prescription tag on it and a note from the doc couldn't hurt. You may get pulled to the side and they may wipe down the tip with the wipes but that's about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2MikeynLando
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Awesome, Thank you!

Quoting awesomemommy2:

The rule for liquids does not apply to meds or breastmilk. Just make sure that there is a prescription tag on it and a note from the doc couldn't hurt. You may get pulled to the side and they may wipe down the tip with the wipes but that's about it.

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2MikeynLando:

Awesome, Thank you!

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Here is an exerpt from the TSA website and a link

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding 3.4 ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

amzbrznjz
by Heather on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

it doesnt need to be in a bag...I carry motrin and gravol for my kids...it just has to be in its original container...andhis name on the rx

Mom2MikeynLando
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Awesome, thanks ladies.. I've never flown with kids (matter of fact not since 2002) and appreciate all the answers.  Thanks again!

erin708
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get a doctors note saying it must stay with person and not be checked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlefoots
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

When i take my cabinet of meds..I have it out and in a bag on the security scan belt in a seperate bin. I let them know its my meds and have a docs note ready if need be. I have yet to come across any issues.

miss_AP
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as its labeled a prescription you will be fine. Since they look like syringes I might have a medication sheet handy. Ask the pharmacist if they are ok to go through the radation machine too.

Mom2MikeynLando
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You ladies are all wonderful! Thanks so much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)