Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

This is a post for the people that choose to pick hotels off-site.

Posted by   + Show Post

Thinking about going to Disney this summer.  I have gone twice and stayed on-site, but wondering if we should rent a car and stay off-site this year.  

We have stayed at Moderates in the past, but this year, it will be a Value.  So I know I can get a much better hotel buy for the amount of a value.  

So what are your reasons for staying at non-Disney hotels?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (11-17):
romalove
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I can't help you.  We like to drink when we are out and about, at Epcot, at dinner, etc. (not crazy drinkers but if we're on vacation....) and the idea that we don't have to worry about getting in a car, or a designated driver, and can just relax and enjoy and know a bus will take us back to the resort is likely the number one reason we stay on property, even though we can only afford a Value (we go yearly).

cindyjean68
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Wow seriously? Where did you find that at? That is something we might be interested in. We will have 8 adults, possibly 9, 3 between the ages of 5 and 13 and 3 infants.

Quoting mushmom:

We're renting a house next week for 1/3 of the cost of staying on property. Also my parents go with us so we prefer to have a condo or house rather than being all crammed in a large hotel room. Makes us feel better to pay for all of the lodging as it's not something parents would do if not for the grandkids. This 4 bedroom house with views of the fireworks is about $900 for the week.

Cindy Jean   

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

There is a development called Windsor Hills which is about 10 minutes from Disney Gates.  My friends rent there and get a 6 bedroom home from VRBO.   We prefer the timeshare/condo resorts as they have more amenities.   Gyms, restaurants, multiple pools and activities.   I know where we stay they have 1-4 BR units which sleep up to 12.   We have rented multiple neighboring units as its nice to break up the group sometimes.  The last time we were 8 adults and 9 kids (4 families) and we stayed in two 3BR units.   We split up based on the kids ages so that those without babies didnt have to be woken up for a crying baby or up at the crack of dawn.  

Quoting cindyjean68:

Wow seriously? Where did you find that at? That is something we might be interested in. We will have 8 adults, possibly 9, 3 between the ages of 5 and 13 and 3 infants.

Quoting mushmom:

We're renting a house next week for 1/3 of the cost of staying on property. Also my parents go with us so we prefer to have a condo or house rather than being all crammed in a large hotel room. Makes us feel better to pay for all of the lodging as it's not something parents would do if not for the grandkids. This 4 bedroom house with views of the fireworks is about $900 for the week.

cindyjean68
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks! Now would we need a timeshare or membership to utilize this?

Quoting awesomemommy2:

There is a development called Windsor Hills which is about 10 minutes from Disney Gates.  My friends rent there and get a 6 bedroom home from VRBO.   We prefer the timeshare/condo resorts as they have more amenities.   Gyms, restaurants, multiple pools and activities.   I know where we stay they have 1-4 BR units which sleep up to 12.   We have rented multiple neighboring units as its nice to break up the group sometimes.  The last time we were 8 adults and 9 kids (4 families) and we stayed in two 3BR units.   We split up based on the kids ages so that those without babies didnt have to be woken up for a crying baby or up at the crack of dawn.  

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting mushmom:

Cindy Jean   

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM

No.  Some rent though the owner (or a realtor).  Some of the timeshare resorts you can rent direct through.   I think you need to first decide if you want a house or a villa/condo resort.  They each offer a different vacation experience.   Also your financial budget and if you want to do one huge house for everyone or separate condo units.   

If you want PM me and I can send you some links to places where we have stayed.    

Quoting cindyjean68:

Thanks! Now would we need a timeshare or membership to utilize this?

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting mushmom:

sophiesmom07
by on May. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Quoting spunky946:

We have been 3 times.  The first two times we stayed at the Hilton grand vacations club at sea world.  It's a beautiful property and is a wonderful hotel.

The room we had was a 1 bedroom suite with a living room, dining room, a big bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower.  Oh and a washer and dryer.   Over Christmas week we paid around $175 per night, which you can not touch onsite for the amount of space that we had.  We personally don't want to smush into a small room.  Could we, sure there are only 4 of us, but we don't want to, it's not a vacation to us.

We stayed two weeks ago onsite at AKV in a 1 bedroom suite for almost 3 times the price even with a 35% off discount.  We wanted to try out onsite.  I get why people like it.  The whole bus thing and not needing a car was great, but for the price and the amount of space, you can't beat off site.

We are talking about doing a quick 5 night trip in October for Halloween and will probably go back to the Hilton.  for the nights we are going it's $125 per night and will probably drop, last year October was under $100 per night.  

Even with renting a car and paying parking, we are a lot less, unless we went value or moderate, which we don't want to do.  I"m not saying we will never stay onsite again, but for us we don't mind the hassle of being offsite. Plus the added benefit of eating off property and spendng less money on food.

I know this is an old post, but this hotel sounds great and I just wanted to double check, it's not a time share type of place, is it? I hate being harrassed by time share sales people!

spunky946
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM
It's both. It's a regular hotel, but because its a grand vacation club they do have time shares too. Our last trip we got a call asking if we wanted to sit through a presentation and we said no. Now they were offering nice compensation, but we did not want to waste 90 minutes. That was it.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

Quoting spunky946:

We have been 3 times.  The first two times we stayed at the Hilton grand vacations club at sea world.  It's a beautiful property and is a wonderful hotel.

The room we had was a 1 bedroom suite with a living room, dining room, a big bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower.  Oh and a washer and dryer.   Over Christmas week we paid around $175 per night, which you can not touch onsite for the amount of space that we had.  We personally don't want to smush into a small room.  Could we, sure there are only 4 of us, but we don't want to, it's not a vacation to us.

We stayed two weeks ago onsite at AKV in a 1 bedroom suite for almost 3 times the price even with a 35% off discount.  We wanted to try out onsite.  I get why people like it.  The whole bus thing and not needing a car was great, but for the price and the amount of space, you can't beat off site.

We are talking about doing a quick 5 night trip in October for Halloween and will probably go back to the Hilton.  for the nights we are going it's $125 per night and will probably drop, last year October was under $100 per night.  

Even with renting a car and paying parking, we are a lot less, unless we went value or moderate, which we don't want to do.  I"m not saying we will never stay onsite again, but for us we don't mind the hassle of being offsite. Plus the added benefit of eating off property and spendng less money on food.

I know this is an old post, but this hotel sounds great and I just wanted to double check, it's not a time share type of place, is it? I hate being harrassed by time share sales people!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)