Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Deciding where to stay!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 36 Replies
We are considering staying at the holiday inn at downtown Disney. It would be 231 dollars cheaper then staying at the art of animation resort(our other choice). But we can't decide what to do. Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Consider what is better for your family- will you be renting a vehicle to stay off property? Driving? Relying on the hotel's transportation? Some off site hotels have spotty transportation, or only offer bussing at specific times through out the day.

If you are renting a vehicle, then consider the fee for parking on property.

Are you late night people? Extra Magic Hours can be nice at night when the park is less busy.

What time of year are you going? If it's off season, Disney resorts often have discounts or deals on the meal plan.

Missy13d69
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Did you look into any of the other Value resorts? How many people are in your party?

LiveLearnEat
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Have you thought about doing a split stay? Saving money is great, so you can stay longer, but there is something magical about staying on property....

xx,

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating

http://living-learning-eating.blogspot.com/

crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

For me I would still stay on Disney property.  It's possible the other value resorts might be cheaper to make up that difference as someone else said.  My husband and I agree we'll never stay off property again.  We've been going down to Disney together for 9 years now and agree we need to stay on property.  We've done it with and without a car and we just find that being on property is more convenient and fun. 

Bookwormy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM
We decided to stay at the Art of Animation resort. We want the "full experience". But you have to do what's right for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rychelle
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
230 cheaper total or per night? If its total, figure in parking each day since you don't park for free when not staying on property and renting a car/gas. And it may end up more expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakate1981
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM
saving 231 dollars total for the whole trip. I added parking into the total. We will be driving so we will have our own car. I looked at the values and they are the same price. Unfortunately we have to go in july because of my husbands job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I would save the money. That $231 could easily pay for a few days worth of meals. We prefer to take our own car and park. We like to come And go as we please and IMO the busses suck. Especially from the values. It can be a long ride to/from MK. I get a kick of of folks who spend $3500 on a Disney trip but use the dont want to spend the money on parking as the reason.

Quoting mamakate1981:

saving 231 dollars total for the whole trip. I added parking into the total. We will be driving so we will have our own car. I looked at the values and they are the same price. Unfortunately we have to go in july because of my husbands job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2sweetjoys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

We always stay off property so we can have a full kitchen if needed.It saves money in all areas for us but I would love to be able to afford to stay onsite to experience the whole Disney magic.It costs us about $80 per night to have a villa depending on what time that you stay.We drove since we wanted to sleep in on some days but parking adds up for the week.

Have fun planning and July is very hot so drink plenty and know where all the cooling mist spots are in the parks.It is really nice and I cant wait to see the new Fantasyland

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM

If you stay on property, parking is free. However, most people don't drive down unless they live close, or need to save money on the flight. Because of that, a lot of people don't have access to a vehicle in order to drive.

For me, the cost of renting outside the park includes renting a vehicle, paying gas, and paying parking each day. By staying off property, it would cost me more than staying on property.

If I were to drive, I would still stay on property, and then, the cost of parking isn't an issue.

But, for people who are considering what the cost difference is, then things like adding in the $15/day parking fee adds into the overall cost difference. Over 6 days, that's $90, plus another $30-40 in gas over the week. If you are renting, add in another $150-300ish. Those are costs that need to be considered if you are staying off property.

Transportation from the airport to the off property hotel or rental house also adds into the off property cost.

For me, it's cheaper to stay on property- and more convienent. It isn't for everyone. But all the costs need to be addressed when considering the price difference, not just the hotel cost.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

I would save the money. That $231 could easily pay for a few days worth of meals. We prefer to take our own car and park. We like to come And go as we please and IMO the busses suck. Especially from the values. It can be a long ride to/from MK. I get a kick of of folks who spend $3500 on a Disney trip but use the dont want to spend the money on parking as the reason.

Quoting mamakate1981:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN