Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things to do when you're at Disney OTHER than Disney? Legoand? Universal? Nick Hotel?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 34 Replies

So we went to all of the Disney parks last May. We're going to Orlando next month. We might spend one day at Disney but we want to do other stuff since we recently did Disney. We have a 3 1/2 year old daughter. We're thinking about Universal/Islands of Adventure. Is this a one or two day thing? Should we do park hopper and try to do both in one, or spread it? Has anyone ever done Legoland? Also, has anyone ever stayed at Nick Hotel? Are there any other cool Orlando hotels that are great for kids? 

Any other Orlando area recommendations? Sorry this isn't really specifically Disney related, but I got so much advice here last time that I figured it would be the place to ask.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

We love Seaworld.  The tickets are two days and we actually use both.  To see all the shows you need both days so you dont feel rushed.   Also they have a great ride area for the little ones.   

IMO for a 3 1/2 y/o Universal and Islands of Adventure doesnt really have that much.  They have some cute stuff but I personally would wait.   

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Also my friend stayed at the Nick hotel and said she would never go back.   Too many wild, unsupervised children.   

erin708
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Sea world has lots to see. Its def worth it. I would wait on universal til she's older. She's too small for the rides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beaugrl0824
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
We did Disney, Universal, and Sea World last November. Universal was more for us adults although their child swap was the best we encountered. We wish we did 2 days there though and had more time at island of adventure. Sea world was awesome and we loved it as a family but it felt a bit rushed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I have also seen some not so clean room photos guests have taken upon checking in. I would second steering clear from the Nick hotel. 

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Also my friend stayed at the Nick hotel and said she would never go back.   Too many wild, unsupervised children.   

patnic
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

What makes their child swap the best?

Quoting beaugrl0824:

We did Disney, Universal, and Sea World last November. Universal was more for us adults although their child swap was the best we encountered. We wish we did 2 days there though and had more time at island of adventure. Sea world was awesome and we loved it as a family but it felt a bit rushed.

beaugrl0824
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Instead of a ticket like a fast pass you stand in line with your children. At the front of the line the adult who is staying with the children are shown to a room where they wait. Then the other adult comes back and you swap out. Very little waiting and more convenient imo. Your already in the front of the line for the ride regardless.

Quoting patnic:

What makes their child swap the best?

Quoting beaugrl0824:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not done either, but I would probably do Sea world over Universal.  Most of the rides at Universal have height restrictions and I don't think she could ride.  

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM
The child swap is great but for the child it still sucks to have to wait while mom and then dad go on grown up rides. One of the things that was great about SW was that if hubby or i wanted to go on rides we would do it when the other was at a show with the kids or over in the sprayground area where the kids were playing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

We will never go to Orlando again without spending at least 3 days at Universal Studios. If your children are a little older, a little taller, and seeking a few more thrills than Universal is heaven. In fact, on our last outing in August we split our stay half on Disney property and half on Universal, and found ourselves wishing we would have spent the whole trip at Universal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)