Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

WDW Vet having DL Anxiety

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm just going to vent this here because I can't stop thinking about it. I decided kind of last minute at the beginning of the month that I was going to take my daughter to Disneyland, which considering you don't need reservations for things at DL is totally doable. The problem? Not needing to make reservations for things is eating at me, LOL. I'm used to WDW vacations where I have to plan things down to the second. This whole laid back, fly by the seat of your pants thing is foriegn to me and it's kind of driving me bonkers. There isn't anything to plan? What do you mean I don't have to stay on property? Dining reservations are reccomended but not at all required? You mean, you can WALK to everything? I know this sounds crazy, but I can't skirt this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something. I'm stressing out more over not having to make plans during a getaway than I ever did having to plan a WDW trip down to the minute! AAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. 

Vent over. I'll be sure and do a comparison review when we get back. Anyone at Disneyland Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, if you see an adult woman having a spastic breakdown over the amount of freedom a short vacation is allowing her, it's me. 

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AkashaGermaine
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM
You'll love it once you get there. At least with you dd being older you don't have to schedule everything. Ds is 17 months old. I have to worry about naps and meal planning, snacks and diaper breaks. Just watch out for the bathrooms. Not enough of them, especially with changing tables. Its not really busy either. Now, if you want to eat at The Blue Bayou, on Pirates in DL, or at Napa Rose or Ariel's Grotto in DCA make reservations. Those are really hard to get into, even this time of year. Relax and enjoy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I am the opposite. I hate planning. I hate that If I want to change up my plans or change a resort day while at WDW that you cannot do that if you are bound by dining reservations and times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

The blue bouy, you NEED a reservation for but you can call like the day before. And on crowded days, where its a 6 or more I would recommend reservations, but you only have to do that 30 days in advance.

And see I am stressing the other way. I ALWAYS go to disneyland, and never have to plan anything this whole you need your day plan down to the last detail of what your going to eat and where is TOTALLY STRESSING ME OUT. I have 22 days until the 180 day mark on my reservation to WDW, and I have NO CLUE where to eat what to eat, (my kid could care less about restaurants in fact he HATES them he cries when we go to a place that has a WAITer as he calls it really emphasising that he has to WAIT) I am not really fond of the restaurants at Disneyland so the ides of a sit down place where I am TIED to a PARK everyday is really STRESSING ME OUT. Sometimes my son is all about the charaters when we are at disneyland and sometimes he could careless, so again I choose to do charater meal if he is in the mood.  I love that if disneyland is bugging the crap out of me I can walk over to California Adventure Land, I love that if I am hungry I know what places are good where ever I am at at Disneyland, or if I am in the mood for their BBQ I don't have to have a reservation I just walk up and get all you care to enjoy lip smacking BBQ. But with WDW I have to deciede on a park then a resturant then I am stuck there until I eat, what if I am not hungry when my reservation is up, what if I am starving 2 hours before it begins...what if what if...AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mommy4-27-08
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Well we will be there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so if I see you I will let you know. :-P and Disneyland is really easy. Do you have a hotel? Do you have enough money for food and souvenirs? Then your pretty much good. Lol. Were doing a character dining on Sunday, that is the only reservation I had to make. Enjoy it! I find it lots more flexible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM
This coming Sun, Mon and Tue? That's when we'll be there too, we arrive at LAX at 9:30am. We're at the Anabella.

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

Well we will be there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so if I see you I will let you know. :-P and Disneyland is really easy. Do you have a hotel? Do you have enough money for food and souvenirs? Then your pretty much good. Lol. Were doing a character dining on Sunday, that is the only reservation I had to make. Enjoy it! I find it lots more flexible.
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Your concerns are why we don't do dining. It's too much and IMO ruins the vacation. The year we had free dining was the worst vacation. We had a busy Monday and Tuesday got up late and wanted to make that the AK day but we had reservations at Epcot. The next day was rainy and would have been a perfect day for Epcot since they have so much indoors but we had reservations at HS and were miserable. Also if you added up the time waiting for a reservation or running from one side of the park to the other for a meal it was ridiculous. Now we eat a big breakfast at the resort. Bring snacks (cheese sticks, gogurts, fruit) and then do a quick serve or snack at the park and then dinner when we get back to the resort.

Quoting snowpeasmom:

The blue bouy, you NEED a reservation for but you can call like the day before. And on crowded days, where its a 6 or more I would recommend reservations, but you only have to do that 30 days in advance.

And see I am stressing the other way. I ALWAYS go to disneyland, and never have to plan anything this whole you need your day plan down to the last detail of what your going to eat and where is TOTALLY STRESSING ME OUT. I have 22 days until the 180 day mark on my reservation to WDW, and I have NO CLUE where to eat what to eat, (my kid could care less about restaurants in fact he HATES them he cries when we go to a place that has a WAITer as he calls it really emphasising that he has to WAIT) I am not really fond of the restaurants at Disneyland so the ides of a sit down place where I am TIED to a PARK everyday is really STRESSING ME OUT. Sometimes my son is all about the charaters when we are at disneyland and sometimes he could careless, so again I choose to do charater meal if he is in the mood.  I love that if disneyland is bugging the crap out of me I can walk over to California Adventure Land, I love that if I am hungry I know what places are good where ever I am at at Disneyland, or if I am in the mood for their BBQ I don't have to have a reservation I just walk up and get all you care to enjoy lip smacking BBQ. But with WDW I have to deciede on a park then a resturant then I am stuck there until I eat, what if I am not hungry when my reservation is up, what if I am starving 2 hours before it begins...what if what if...AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Yep, were flying in Saturday and leaving Wednesday night (but Wednesday we will be at universal studios). Were staying at the del sol (there are 10 of us so we needed big rooms).

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

This coming Sun, Mon and Tue? That's when we'll be there too, we arrive at LAX at 9:30am. We're at the Anabella.

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Our first trip we had three reservations a day, every day for 6 days. While it was awesome that we got to try so many places, we spent a lot of time dining. After 6 trips now we only make one TS a day, but we still take the deluxe dining plan. We usually eat breakfast, snack lunch, then eat signature for dinner. We still end up breaking even for our money that way, and it's fun to get dressed up for dinner.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Your concerns are why we don't do dining. It's too much and IMO ruins the vacation. The year we had free dining was the worst vacation. We had a busy Monday and Tuesday got up late and wanted to make that the AK day but we had reservations at Epcot. The next day was rainy and would have been a perfect day for Epcot since they have so much indoors but we had reservations at HS and were miserable. Also if you added up the time waiting for a reservation or running from one side of the park to the other for a meal it was ridiculous. Now we eat a big breakfast at the resort. Bring snacks (cheese sticks, gogurts, fruit) and then do a quick serve or snack at the park and then dinner when we get back to the resort.

Quoting snowpeasmom:

FlyingMommy747
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I so much prefer DL to WDW, it is just so much more manageable.  However, I would recommend that you do make reservations for dinner, you can always cancel them if you change your mind.

LongBeachLiz
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Make sure to try a dole whip at the tiki room!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN