Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One week

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 13 Replies

We have exactly one week til we leave for WDW!!!!!

If you had one week before you left for your trip, what would you do? What would you do to make sure your all ready to go? What would you do to past the time? What all would you pack? What would you bring for the car ride (our trip will take 16 hrs broken into two days to get there)?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadiasMomma
by Joanna on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM
A week ago we got an oil change and checked our tires. I think its a good idea to pack early as long as it isn't shorts weather were you live. I always bring a dvd player for the car and a soft pillow or teddy bear for my dd to snuggle with. Shes still harnessed at 6 so she stays pretty comfy though. We drive in the night though so we don't bring too many activities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Definitely get the car ready- get it checked out, cleaned out, and organized. 

My odd ball toss ins are ziplock bags, lightweight backpacks (those drawstring ones are great- even if you have a bigger backpack, I like to keep 1-2 in my backpack to distribute the items if need be), and something like Bengay or icy hot for achy muscles and feet. 

crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

A few weeks ahead of time I always buy snacks and small cereal boxes and such for the car ride so I don't need to worry about it the week of. A week or so before our trip I always pack our clothes so that's all done.  If we're going during this time of year it's easier to pack since we're probably not wearing shorts and clothing for warmer weather ;-).  My husband the week of will take the car for an oil change, tire rotation, check-up, fill fluids, etc.  I usually get sticker books and a few new activity books for the kids since new stuff keeps them more occupied.  I also prepare a separate bag for when we stop off at a hotel for the night on the drive down. It makes it easier to grab that small bag instead of an entire suitcase.  This way the next morning when we leave for the rest of our drive to WDW we only have to throw it in and not worry about having to repack the trunk.  We have a small hatchback car so it's a lot of work with the suitcase and double stroller and packing a smaller bag is much easier for a one or two night stay somewhere else.  I ALWAYS keep a roll of paper towels and box of gallon ziplocks in the car.  You never know when you'll need a quick garbage bag for something that might make the car smelly or just roll out of a shopping bag.  Our son, who thank goodness is now potty trained, use to leak out of his pull-ups a lot and we'd use the ziplocks to put his pants and seat saver pad in them.  When we got to Disney I just took the bags in a washed them all, but the car never smelled because of them :-).  If you can try packing the car a few days before to see how it's going to work best for you as you drive.  We learned over time where things must be in order to reach them quick if need be :-).  

nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

For the car - get it serviced and pack a bag with snacks for the car(cookies, chips, crackers, etc - things that won't go bad - wait until the last thing before you leave to pack those in a small cooler with ice pack if you need them in the car)

Judging from your avatar, your DD is about 3-4 years old.  I like to bring a magna-doodle type drawing board, so she can draw and you don't  have to worry about her dropping the 'pen' and you not being able to reach it while the car in moving as it is attached.  Some building game like this: so that the creation stays together even if a bumpy road.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Make a checklist of everything you want to take and check off as you pack it.  I would be using this time to get my clothes ready, going to the store to get all last minute things I need (shampoo, deodorant, etc.). 

We drove to WDW once (from Philadelphia, stopped in NC to pick up friends and then stopped in SC for the night).  We rented a mini van that had a DVD player so the kids watched movies.  Bad news...they only wanted to watch ONE movie...so they watched it 8 times!  Ugh!  But a portable DVD player or laptop is a good idea. 

reneawesley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I usually have all clothes packed 2 weeks before and pack all non perishable snacks. The week before I clean out and organize the car. Also get it serviced a day or 2 before we leave. I let each girl pack a backpack with things they want to play with. I also have a flat school box for each girl filled with crayons, drawing pad coloring books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I start to put things together in our staging room to get it ready to pack.  Buy things we need to for the trip.  We fly, so nothing to do to the car.

vicky33006
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Well, we are two days out from our trip so I can tell you what I've been doing. Everything is just about packed. The only things left are things that need to be packed right before (make-up, my flat iron, etc.) I have lists on top of lists. There are lists of what I wanted to pack, what's actually packed, what I still need to do before we go..etc. I ran all of the important errands all week (took an extra trip to the bank, paid bills way early so I don't even think about them while gone...things like that). I'm pretty much ready, but feeling so nervous I will forget something...Hope you have a great trip!

DIStickers.com Ticker

snowpeasmom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Relax, and breathe.

If you haven't already make a list of everything you need to pack.

Don't forget to pack extra for children as they tend to need to change more often (at least my does)

Don't forget extra pair of shoes for everyone (as shoes almost always get wet)

Extra bathing suit

ROOM in your car for the extras you bring back...

HAVE A BLAST!

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

RMH Travel~~~Where the Real Magic Happens

Planning your perfect trip wheather its your first time or your 100th time, we promise to give you a magical trip.

Like RMH Travel on facebook

chey88
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We will be staying at a hotel over night anout half way there. I didn't even think about an extra, small over night bag! Great idea! thanks!

Quoting crazybones27:

A few weeks ahead of time I always buy snacks and small cereal boxes and such for the car ride so I don't need to worry about it the week of. A week or so before our trip I always pack our clothes so that's all done.  If we're going during this time of year it's easier to pack since we're probably not wearing shorts and clothing for warmer weather ;-).  My husband the week of will take the car for an oil change, tire rotation, check-up, fill fluids, etc.  I usually get sticker books and a few new activity books for the kids since new stuff keeps them more occupied.  I also prepare a separate bag for when we stop off at a hotel for the night on the drive down. It makes it easier to grab that small bag instead of an entire suitcase.  This way the next morning when we leave for the rest of our drive to WDW we only have to throw it in and not worry about having to repack the trunk.  We have a small hatchback car so it's a lot of work with the suitcase and double stroller and packing a smaller bag is much easier for a one or two night stay somewhere else.  I ALWAYS keep a roll of paper towels and box of gallon ziplocks in the car.  You never know when you'll need a quick garbage bag for something that might make the car smelly or just roll out of a shopping bag.  Our son, who thank goodness is now potty trained, use to leak out of his pull-ups a lot and we'd use the ziplocks to put his pants and seat saver pad in them.  When we got to Disney I just took the bags in a washed them all, but the car never smelled because of them :-).  If you can try packing the car a few days before to see how it's going to work best for you as you drive.  We learned over time where things must be in order to reach them quick if need be :-).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)