Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unwelcome Critters

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone ever stayed on site at WDW and had unwelcome guests in your resort room in the form of roaches, bed bugs, mice. I had a very bad experience last summer and hope that Disney does a better job than the last resort I stayed at.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Never! We once has a bird's nest on our balcony but that's it and we cool with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I have not but the room next to us had some sort of water bug in their unit.    I had spoken to one of the managers and he felt that they had come in from the door being left open.   Not sure if that true or he was just trying to pacify me but it is a hotel and sadly at some time or another all of them wind up with some.   

midwestern_mama
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Eek, i hope that is the case.

I was worried because I read on another thread to request a room not on the ground floor because of critters crawling under the door. I immediately became freaked out because I booked at AoA in hopes of it being new and not infested with bugs but I realize it is Florida.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

I have not but the room next to us had some sort of water bug in their unit.    I had spoken to one of the managers and he felt that they had come in from the door being left open.   Not sure if that true or he was just trying to pacify me but it is a hotel and sadly at some time or another all of them wind up with some.   

nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Never had an issue.

angelmom224
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Even in an upper floor things can happen. Disney does good pest control but there is also times travelers come in with other guest. Are you staying in the LM section or the suites?? The suites are enclosed and the room doors do not lead to the outside so less likely to have issues. And like you said it is FL. Before you settle into your room look around. Search the drawers, beds, and fridge area. That way you aren't settled and moving to another room. You can request a change right away. This should be done at any hotel though.

Quoting midwestern_mama:

I was worried because I read on another thread to request a room not on the ground floor because of critters crawling under the door. I immediately became freaked out because I booked at AoA in hopes of it being new and not infested with bugs but I realize it is Florida.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erin708
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I was staying off property and opened my door to a coral snake. Thank god my kids didn't go out first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
midwestern_mama
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM

We are staying in a cars suite and I've heard the hallways are enclosed but I still got a little panicky.  I had a bad experience with giant cockroaches at a 5 star resort last summer that really skeeved me out.  I couldn't sleep for a month once we got home so yeah I won't be going in the room until its fully inspected by my husband.  I figured that disney would have excellent pest control but the comment just really freaked me out.  Thanks for your response, It does reassure me to hear from a disney goer that the pest control is good.

Quoting angelmom224:

Even in an upper floor things can happen. Disney does good pest control but there is also times travelers come in with other guest. Are you staying in the LM section or the suites?? The suites are enclosed and the room doors do not lead to the outside so less likely to have issues. And like you said it is FL. Before you settle into your room look around. Search the drawers, beds, and fridge area. That way you aren't settled and moving to another room. You can request a change right away. This should be done at any hotel though.

Quoting midwestern_mama:

Quoting awesomemommy2:

midwestern_mama
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Yikes, I probably would of had a heart attack.

Quoting erin708:

I was staying off property and opened my door to a coral snake. Thank god my kids didn't go out first.

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I have stayed on property two times, and no issues.  It is Florida- there are bugs everywhere, and yes, they can crawl in through open doors. 

I have read a few people talking about bed bugs on Disboards, and it sounds like the few times it has happened (well, the few times it came up on disboards), Disney was excellent. They moved the guests, cleaned/steamed their items to ensure no travelers moved with them, and provided a clothing allowance for the guests to purchase new items while their old items were being cleaned. In one case, the group was upgraded to a new hotel, and much nicer room in the process. From what they said, it sounds like Disney closes off the room, has it exterminated, and rechecked before re opening the room. 

There is a website with a bedbug registry. It allows you to look up reports. However, I will caution you that it is largely based on what the general public has to say, and not actual, verified reports made to the health department. As such, you may run across bogus reports (for example, look up Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City, Mi- someone has over run the page with obvious BS reports, and the admin has done nothing to remove them). You also won't get an account from everyone who has ev come across bed bugs, either. 

But, it can provide a measure of comfort. 

This topic has come up though on Disboards, like I said, and it sounds like it is few and far between. People who are more paranoid about it have recommended ways to check the room, and suggest that only 1 person goes in, while the rest of the party stays outside with the luggage. I can't recall if a black light style flash light helps in seeing them, or not. Or maybe it was just a regular flashlite in a dark room.

you should check the mattress, the corners of it, and under the corners on the box spring for brown marks. 

If you google Bedbugs Disney, you will find the big thread from Disboards. 

midwestern_mama
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

It's funny that you say that because the disboards is where I read about it.  I have seen some of the discussions on bedbugs and hadn't realized that there was a best way to check for them.  I dont remember seeing anything about using a particular flashlight so that is a great tip.  I will def be investing a few dollars into one.  Nothing can really turn a dream vacation into a nightmare like unwanted guests.  

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

I have stayed on property two times, and no issues.  It is Florida- there are bugs everywhere, and yes, they can crawl in through open doors. 

I have read a few people talking about bed bugs on Disboards, and it sounds like the few times it has happened (well, the few times it came up on disboards), Disney was excellent. They moved the guests, cleaned/steamed their items to ensure no travelers moved with them, and provided a clothing allowance for the guests to purchase new items while their old items were being cleaned. In one case, the group was upgraded to a new hotel, and much nicer room in the process. From what they said, it sounds like Disney closes off the room, has it exterminated, and rechecked before re opening the room. 

There is a website with a bedbug registry. It allows you to look up reports. However, I will caution you that it is largely based on what the general public has to say, and not actual, verified reports made to the health department. As such, you may run across bogus reports (for example, look up Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City, Mi- someone has over run the page with obvious BS reports, and the admin has done nothing to remove them). You also won't get an account from everyone who has ev come across bed bugs, either. 

But, it can provide a measure of comfort. 

This topic has come up though on Disboards, like I said, and it sounds like it is few and far between. People who are more paranoid about it have recommended ways to check the room, and suggest that only 1 person goes in, while the rest of the party stays outside with the luggage. I can't recall if a black light style flash light helps in seeing them, or not. Or maybe it was just a regular flashlite in a dark room.

you should check the mattress, the corners of it, and under the corners on the box spring for brown marks. 

If you google Bedbugs Disney, you will find the big thread from Disboards. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)