Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

My son loves Disney Princesses. Is that weird?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 2 year old loves the Disney princesses and a lot of the Disney Junior shows that are geared towards little girl audiences. He is very much a rough and tumble boy, he loves sports, wrestling and other "boy" things. But he always says that the princesses are so pretty, and he likes for me to wear dresses so I can be a pretty princess too. And he sings along to all the songs on Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, and he loves Minnie's Bow-tique. (He does the same with Mickey, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Chuggington as well) A relative recently told me while my son was singing along to "True Sisters" from Sofia, that I should stop him from watching the girly shows. My son knows that he is a boy, and never has any gender confusion about the princess shows. I asked him once if he was a prince or princess once, just to see if he understood, and he said no, he's a pirate and mommy is a princess. I don't see any problem with him liking those shows. Does anyone have any boys that like these shows too?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
dfollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
There is no problem,he's a child! Hopefully he will grow up not being a sexist.Maybe if you were to keep him from watching the show's that your relative referred to,he will think that there is something wrong with them or anything that he likes.He is only two for crying out loud!

Me and my sister played with match box cars and GI Joes.I gave my son's both Cabbage Patch dolls and I taught them how to cook.....so they would be good father's.We all turned out normal.Matter of fact on Easter my mom gave my 2 year old granddaughter and my sister's 4 year old nephew both a hot wheels car and no one thought that was weird.
dfollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Quoting -bliss-:

All of my boys like those shows, lol. My oldest just turned six:) they like princesses bc they think they're "pretty". they don't try to do princess things and they're very much in to wrestling, fighting, dirt, sports, being loud/crazy and such.... They also love batman, ninja turtles, sonic and other shows.

They call me princess mommy and tell me how beautiful I look all the time:) I think they just have an early appreciation of women, lol.

Good for them! You should be very proud of them!
dfollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Quoting snowpeasmom:

My son was the same way, his favorite movie for awhile was Snow White. Though Sofia the first wasn't around. He liked Dora better than Degio. I don't think its weird. He is now 5 and likes Fish Hooks and Phines and Ferb, I miss him liking Disney Jr...lol.

Oh and the movie of the week in the car is Snow White. He always choose a movie of the week for the van, because on Wednesday I have to drive an hour with him in the car one way. It is almost always Disney. For THREE months, it was Aladdin.

Hmmm,wonder if mom2jasper,s relative ever watched a war movie or watch's a football or baseball(if female) or a love story,cooking show (if male).Oh yeah,if she/he has a child of the opposite sex,they cannot watch opposite sex movies with them,lol
dfollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

OMG That is RIDICULOUS! Dude....people just need to let kids be KIDS. My son, who is EIGHT now, loves Tinkerbell. He thinks she's gorgeous. So he picked out Tinkerbell sunglesses. I let him get them and wear them. Everyone at WDW loved them, and thought he was adorable. 

He's a boy...who likes pretty girls. What's weird about that?? Bren has NO gender identity crisis issues, he likes Transformers and pirates, but he thinks Tinkerbell is AWESOME. 

His shirt I made him! :D

He's right Tink is awesome!
Excitedforbaby
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Kids are not  born with any knowledge of "boy" things and "girl" things, we tell them those differences.    He's perfectly fine =)  My 2 year old daughter LOVES Donald Duck, Pete (prefers Jungle Pete, oooh ahh!), and Goofy!  

AkashaGermaine
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM
My ds is 18 mo old. He watches shows with dd6. Loves Sophia, Tink, Princesses, Minnie. But his favorite is still Mickey. It was so funny, we were at DL in March and watching the parade. He was having fun but when Tink came by, and later the Princesses, he went nuts. He was all smiling and laughing and dancing. DH thinks its funny.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
my2sweetjoys
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My son was not quit 3 when we went for his first visit and he loved flirting with the princesses.I think they are fun shows that boys like to watch too, I keep another 5 yr and 8 yr boys and we watch movies like new Tinkerbell ones all the time.They love to watch anything Disney

angelmom224
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I dislike gender stereotypes. Who said any of those shows were for girls. They are for everyone. They have cute songs that are fun to sing along to. I don't think you need to worry.
awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM
We really don't watch too much TV and what we do watch is usually non gender specific as I have 2 boys and a girl. But my daughter watches "boy" shows just as my boys watch "girl" shows.
gammie
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM
He is a normal healthy boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)