Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just booked our Disney world vacation!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 7 Replies
We booked today for Sunday, September 22nd through Friday the 27th. We were only going to go through Thursday, but since we decided on Art of Animation, I wanted an extra day to spend at the pool. It looks like so much fun! We were still on the fence about a dining plan since there isn't one that really fits our needs, but we might end up adding the deluxe dining plan on later. I wish there was a plan that allowed 2 sit down meals a day and maybe a snack or 2. The regular dining plan doesn't give us all of the character dining that we want and the deluxe has way too much food that we will never use all of. I'm just not sure we would come out cheaper paying out of pocket. Any advice?
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Congrats!

for the meal plan, I would go regular, and pay oop for any extra sit down meals you may want. It will likely be quite a bit cheaper, since it's a lot more expensive for the deluxe. 

Google menus for each restaurant. It will give you a cost idea. Some sit down places are cheaper than others, and are perfect for out of pocket vs meal credits. 

mom2jasper
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM

The problem with the regular dining plan for us is that we never do quick service. So those would be completely wasted. Do they let you use a quick service credits for sit-down meals, and pay whatever extra it costs out of pocket?

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Congrats!

for the meal plan, I would go regular, and pay oop for any extra sit down meals you may want. It will likely be quite a bit cheaper, since it's a lot more expensive for the deluxe. 

Google menus for each restaurant. It will give you a cost idea. Some sit down places are cheaper than others, and are perfect for out of pocket vs meal credits. 

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That I am not sure about. I think they used to let you use 2 QS for 1 table service, not sure they still do. 

What about using it for breakfast before heading to the parks?

Quoting mom2jasper:

The problem with the regular dining plan for us is that we never do quick service. So those would be completely wasted. Do they let you use a quick service credits for sit-down meals, and pay whatever extra it costs out of pocket?

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Congrats!

snowpeasmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM

If you don't do any quick service then I would pay everything out of pocket, it won't be worth it, if you get any of the meal plans unless you want 3 sit downs a day. You can price it out in allears.net. You can't use quick service for sit down and pay the difference.

And congrats on the trip, I will be leaving the day you arrive!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RMH Travel~~~Where the Real Magic Happens                         

Planning your perfect trip wheather its your first time or your 100th time, we promise to give you a magical trip.

TOP 10 REASONS TO USE A TRAVEL AGENT blog post

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

mom2jasper
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We have a character breakfast booked for every morning that we will be there. Character meals are one of the most important things for us, so we are doing almost all of them

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

That I am not sure about. I think they used to let you use 2 QS for 1 table service, not sure they still do. 

Quoting mom2jasper:

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Congrats!

crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Since Character Breakfasts are the cheapest of those meals you will not get the money back you're putting in to the deluxe dining plan.  Plus unless you do a sit down meal worth 2 credits for dinner every night you're going to wind up with a lot of left over credits.  

In your situation I'd call Disney Dining directly to find out how much each breakfast will cost you. They can give you an exact price with tax for each character meal.  Then check the menus on WDW and allears.net and price out your dinners on what you want to eat.  Once you add everything you'll get a good rough estimate of what you plan on spending.  I always price the dining plan not including the mugs and snacks. If I exceed the amount of the dining plan getting the snacks and mugs free then it's worth it.  Due to the price increase in the dining plans this year there is very little wiggle room to coming out ahead with the plans.  If they offer Free Dining for your time frame then it might actually be worth upgrading :-).  

I now use the dining plan as a guide for how much I should save for and pay out of pocket.  We just don't need or eat all those desserts with each meal.  Sometimes I'm happier with the appetizer selection then the actual entrees.  We always do one or two character meals a trip, but always breakfast since they are cheaper and we like starting our day that way.  I know the deluxe would never work for us due to its price, amount of sit down meals to make up for price, way to much food, and we'd never get through that many snacks.  

Also as a suggestion is you do plan on doing any dining plan your trip falls what should be the beginning of Food and Wine festival.  The 27th should be the first day. They will sometimes to a soft opening of the booths on the day before. You can use your snack credits for all the food booths :-).  I will say that's a big bonus to the deluxe dining plan if we did it.  

We always loved the dining plan and I literally have to remember with each trip now it doesn't work for us anymore. Definitely take the time and do the math :-). 

Quoting mom2jasper:

We have a character breakfast booked for every morning that we will be there. Character meals are one of the most important things for us, so we are doing almost all of them

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Quoting mom2jasper:

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Congrats!

spunky946
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Have fun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)