Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How far do you go with planning?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 22 Replies
Everyone is telling me I'm going overboard with planning our upcoming trip to Disney. We are going in September. I have all the ADRs and I'm working on scheduling everything so we don't miss anything we want to do. I am doing our packing lists and planning our matching outfits now too. It seems like everyone thinks I should just make the reservations and get up and go when its time. My cousin who is supposedly going with us hasn't even made reservations yet. I added her family on to our ADRs because things were starting to get booked. But this is starting to make me think I'm obsessing.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM

You do what's best for you :-). That's what I always say when it comes to planning. I actually plan each vacation differently. While I've never done matching outfits for our family, I've had every last minute planned before.  As our children are growing my planning changes with them. I've learned my planning can only go as far as a few sit downs, what I pack, and how we're getting there. After that once we enter the gates of the parks the kids direct us on what we do now. I'm a planner from birth and it makes me itch if I don't have a list, but we've done a few trips in the last few years that I've learned what works for us. When the kids were babies I planned more of our days, but now that they are 5 and 3 they have opinions and things they want to do so I only plan so much and go at their pace.

Again you plan and do what's best for you and don't worry what others think. I always feel its best to be prepared then figure out you're completely lost and have no idea what you're going to do :-). 

AnnaNonamus
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I have my ADR's planned and reserved. I hae started to purchase disney shirts. I have a big bag I am using to keep all the small little things I have purchased together. 

I have not planned which parks on what days- we have a hopper, and I plan to get good use of it. 

I do know what day we are doing the MNSSHP, and have planned out that we will not be doing any parks before hand. I also planned ahead another day during the week where we will not be hitting any parks. 

Aside from that? I am not scheduling every day, because it would not work for me. I am more of a go with the flow when it comes to doing the parks. I do have a list of 'must do' things, though. 

Cee670
by Christine on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I always do my reissies as soon as I can. I pan and change plans. You do what is best for your family and what puts you at ease. . 

funny_girl3
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Everyone vacations differently.  I'm a very laid back, we'll-get-there-when-we-get-there kind of person when I'm on vacation, but my husband is a hardcore vacationer, he keeps us going so we don't miss anything.  You should do what makes you comfortable, if you feel better knowing you have all your reservations then go ahead and make them, what will it hurt?  Sounds like your cousin vacations like me, and you vacation more like my husband, you're going to need to communicate so you don't end up frustrated. 

aeELE
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

No, you're right to reserve as early as possible! 

Not sure if you are heading to Disney World or Disneyland (I'm only familiar w Disney World), but if you want eat someplace popular like Be Our Guest or the steakhouse in Canada you really have no choice. 

Besides, planning keeps the excitement alive! Have fun! 

karamille
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM

We were more flexible on our second trip and went with counter service only because the reservations dictated too much of our day on the first trip.  But with that said... if you are doing ADRs, you are right to do them as soon as possible.  

Its4me
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyone plans differently : ) If you are enjoying yourself by all means do it. It's only when you are stressing yourself out over every small detail that you may need to take a deep breath lol.

Half the fun is in the planning. 

erin708
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM
My trip three yrs ago I had made all the adrs based on the day we were in the parks. My family was upset we had to follow a sched but thanked me in the end for organizing it al. This past aug we stayed off property so didn't need adrs. We kinda just winged it. Only adr I made was crt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKrasnor
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
We plan which hotel we're going to stay at, that's about it. I grew up in south Florida so most of our family vacations were to Disney. So I never feel rushed to have to get it all in and we very rarely do adrs. If we only vacationed at Disney once in a blue moon, I would probably be much more of a planner, especially for adrs.
Dawne98
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I always 1st think of what park has EMH's at NIGHT then I work on  my ADR's.... then I look at what is going to be open during EMH's and keep those to do during EMH's and that way we can enjoy all the other rides and show's during the day :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)