Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

dining plan tips....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

If we prepay our dining plan........would we have to pay additional later (for tips?) Or is that just for the fancier establishments?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mbrowne1
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Tips are on top of the plan for all sit down meals.

vicky33006
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Tips aren't included. You have to pay them out of pocket. Also, any alcohol is generally not included either.

snowpeasmom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Tips are only included at dinner shows. Tips are not included but tax is. I always list where I want to go....price the meals out using allear.com and then compare it to the dining plan. Unless the dining plan is free I personally dont find it doesnt save money but I loose almost $100. I put everything on my disney card so either way I look at it going on my card. But I have planned it for clients where they saved or broke even or close enough that it was worth it. Of course free is always worth it.
midwestern_mama
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I also had to research this because I was confused what was and wasn't included.  We did the dining plan that has 1 qs, 1 Ts, and 1 snack but appetizers aren't included I think.  Dining out is one of my favorite things followed closely by appetizers and desserts so my understanding is if we order food that is not included on our plan it is billed to our account along with gratuity for the server.  I might be wrong so hopefully one of the many informative ladies on here will correct me if I am.

snowpeasmom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM
With the fantasmic package you get appetizers. And with dinner shows, I believe all of them...going off memory at bed time might not be smart.

All other sit down meals you get one meal, one drink and one dessert.

At quick service you get a meal a drink and a desert too. Ex hot dogs chips drink and a cookie.

Another reason why I personally dont like the meal plan. Too much food and I feel Obligated to eat it...

I dont mind sharing one desert with two or three people and then sharing an appetizer. Or even a main course. I don't like my hands tied. But this is just a personal opinion. Others love the plan.

Quoting midwestern_mama:

I also had to research this because I was confused what was and wasn't included.  We did the dining plan that has 1 qs, 1 Ts, and 1 snack but appetizers aren't included I think.  Dining out is one of my favorite things followed closely by appetizers and desserts so my understanding is if we order food that is not included on our plan it is billed to our account along with gratuity for the server.  I might be wrong so hopefully one of the many informative ladies on here will correct me if I am.

energygirl
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Quoting snowpeasmom:

With the fantasmic package you get appetizers. And with dinner shows, I believe all of them...going off memory at bed time might not be smart.

At quick service you get a meal a drink and a desert too. Ex hot dogs chips drink and a cookie.

Another reason why I personally dont like the meal plan. Too much food and I feel Obligated to eat it...

I dont mind sharing one desert with two or three people and then sharing an appetizer. Or even a main course. I don't like my hands tied. But this is just a personal opinion. Others love the plan.

Quoting midwestern_mama:

can you explain the fatasmic package? Is there a link I can go to ...to read more about it? thanks

awesomemommy2
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I wish they would offer a dessert or an app. You have 4 people you could get 2 desserts and 2 apps. Since people have the dessert credit they feel compelled to order it whether they finish the whole thing or take one bite. We were at one if the restauarants and the table next to us was like 8 people and when they left there were 8 barely eaten desserts. So wasteful

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Quoting midwestern_mama:

crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Tips are not included in any of the dining plans. As someone mentioned only some of the dinner shows will have the tip already included. If you want appetizers added to your dining plan that would be the deluxe dining plan or just pay for them out of pocket on the bill with the regular dining plan.

We have stopped using the dining plan. We found we don't spend nearly the amount of money we do for the DP. We use to love it but now we don't get a savings from it. I actually take the money we would have spent on the dining plan and put it on a Disney Giftcard. I use that to pay for all of our meals with tips, quick service, and snacks. At the end of our trip we always have money left over and I used the dining plan price as my guide for how much I needed. This works well for us plus we're really no longer a family who wants a sit down everyday. We've picked our must-dos and we're happy with about 4 a trip :-).
mbrowne1
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Realize for the Fantasmic package, they prefer to sit you for an early dinner time (like 4pm). I personally like to book lunch time packages so it's easier to align meal times that match  more with when people are hungry. Also, there are no appetizers with the package. 

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/fantasmic-dining-package/

If you want to get appetizers all the time, you need to do the deluxe dining plan. That's a ton of food though so make sure you love to eat. My one bil does deluxe while the rest of us do the regular plan. We've always saved money but then we do a lot of buffets at the fixed price, and tend to order the more expensive items on the menu at the other meals. 

Quoting energygirl:

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Quoting midwestern_mama:

can you explain the fatasmic package? Is there a link I can go to ...to read more about it? thanks

snowpeasmom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
That is a really smart idea.

Quoting crazybones27:

Tips are not included in any of the dining plans. As someone mentioned only some of the dinner shows will have the tip already included. If you want appetizers added to your dining plan that would be the deluxe dining plan or just pay for them out of pocket on the bill with the regular dining plan.

We have stopped using the dining plan. We found we don't spend nearly the amount of money we do for the DP. We use to love it but now we don't get a savings from it. I actually take the money we would have spent on the dining plan and put it on a Disney Giftcard. I use that to pay for all of our meals with tips, quick service, and snacks. At the end of our trip we always have money left over and I used the dining plan price as my guide for how much I needed. This works well for us plus we're really no longer a family who wants a sit down everyday. We've picked our must-dos and we're happy with about 4 a trip :-).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN