Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Ever do a split stay???

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM
  • 9 Replies

We have our reservations for POR but I want to do 2 nights at AKL if they have the room discount for the fall. It's been my dream resort and if the room discount is high enough, we could swing it in the budget..

Anyone else ever try this?

Worth the hassle?

Anyone ever stay at AKL?

FYI: We won't be using the dining plan this time around as it was WAY too much food for us.

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bklynmom5
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I have done it only because we couldnt get enough nights in one place.  Its a bit of a pain with unpacking, packing unpacking ect...

I would love to stay at akl too! 

Why do you think the food is to much?  We always do it and it really saves money.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I was wondering about this too. Part of me is considering a split stay though not sure hubby will go for it lol
TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM

It was the amount of food that we had gotten..

We could have easily split meals. We went back over our receipts from the trip with dining plan and the one from without, and we didn't spend as much as the dining plan would have charged for us (if it hadn't been free). Niether of the kids are big eaters.  

The only reason we did the dining plan the last time was

A) it was free, so why not!

B) we wanted to do a lot of character meals and that is where the savings come in. 

This time, we aren't doing any character meals. We always have breakfast in the room and bring snacks with us into the parks.

We realized we could use the money we saved from the room discount and that would cover our meals.

I have done it only because we couldnt get enough nights in one place.  Its a bit of a pain with unpacking, packing unpacking ect...

I would love to stay at akl too! 

Why do you think the food is to much?  We always do it and it really saves money.

SlightlyPerfect
I've seen some people recover from financial bankruptcy, but I've yet to see someone recover from intellectual or moral bankruptcy.
Yesterday at 6:33 AM
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I would do it. Why not? My brother did it in January for his honeymoon. 4 nights at the Grand Floridian and another 6 at a resort. (I forget which one.) He loved it. It varied the experience, too.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM
I've done it. I think it's a pain to pack up and then unpack so it wouldn't be my first choice. I've stayed at AKL twice and loved it. First time we were on the giraffe side and saw tons of animals. The 2nd time we were on the zebra and didn't see as many. Boma is good. The only reason we don't stay there on a regular basis is because it's too far from everything. We prefer the convenience of the Beach Club.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM

We've done more then a few split stays. Sometimes it's because we decided to add days and couldn't get a room at the resort we were at and sometimes it's because we wanted to break up the vacation. My preference would be not to do a split stay only because I swear it makes the vacation feel like it goes quicker. The packing up and moving hotels can be a pain when you've been settled for so many days in your current room. This wouldn't keep me from doing a split stay though. Sometimes we'll do Bay Lake Towers first so we can get full use of MK and the monorail and then move over to Animal Kingdom for a more relaxing rest of the vacation. We love the pool at Kidani and often like to do more pool days towards the end of our trip to relax. Personally though I would suggest doing your lesser days at AKL first and then your longer hotel stay last. I swear those last two days when you move to AKL will feel like they flew by so quick. 

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM

So start off deluxe and end on Mod. Got it :) 

Quoting crazybones27:

We've done more then a few split stays. Sometimes it's because we decided to add days and couldn't get a room at the resort we were at and sometimes it's because we wanted to break up the vacation. My preference would be not to do a split stay only because I swear it makes the vacation feel like it goes quicker. The packing up and moving hotels can be a pain when you've been settled for so many days in your current room. This wouldn't keep me from doing a split stay though. Sometimes we'll do Bay Lake Towers first so we can get full use of MK and the monorail and then move over to Animal Kingdom for a more relaxing rest of the vacation. We love the pool at Kidani and often like to do more pool days towards the end of our trip to relax. Personally though I would suggest doing your lesser days at AKL first and then your longer hotel stay last. I swear those last two days when you move to AKL will feel like they flew by so quick. 

crazybones27
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I only suggest the 2 days first because I've done two days at the end and it almost feels as if we never checked in by the time we have to check out lol. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

So start off deluxe and end on Mod. Got it :) 

Quoting crazybones27:

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Yes, we did it a few years ago.  We did CBR and AKL.  We really preferred CBR.  

Some people love AKL, we just weren't one of those families.  The walks were so long to get to a room, the Savannah view was nice, but it was your average visit to a zoo.  

We had to wait 30+ minutes for buses, in fact, we gave up and drove ourselves by the end of the vacation.  Buses routinely passed AKL to get to the villas on property, those visitors have priority.  

We won't do AKL again.  We'd do CBR again in a heartbeat.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN