Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEY! DISNEY!

Favorite Deluxe Resort

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 23 Replies
What's your favorite deluxe resort and why? If you haven't done a deluxe, what is your favorite resort you have been to and why? I am still trying to decide where to go for my birthday. We have done Pop Century, Boardwalk and Beach Club in the past.
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KTills
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I've stayed at them all, but here are my top choices:

My favorite near Epcot is Beach/Yacht Club (I like Boardwalk too, but I prefer those first).Love the convenience of everything...the pool kicks butt (although we don't spend a ton of time at them really)...being able to walk to the Boardwalk area is nice...and of course, Epcot...makes it easier to have a fun time over there and to be able to just walk back.

The Contemporary makes my list because I like being able to walk to/from MK and of course, being on the monorail line for hopping around. The gameroom there is my son's favorite place, he loves the monorail going through the hotel and just running around the wide open spaces. The rooms are nice, although the bathrooms don't have a ton of counter space, but we're never there more than a couple of nights for it to really matter (we're FL residents - as I believe you are too -- and we just pop over for long weekends, etc.).

After that, I'm not sure where I rank the rest. Probaly Polynesian and then the Grand Floridian. I like the Poly, but I don't like the separate buidlings all spread out (granted, there not THAT far away from each other), I just don't like being too removed and I hate having to run to a separate buidling in a storm! Grand Floridian is gorgeous, but my son doesn't find it too thrilling, so the hubs and I will stay there when we take just-the-two-of-us trips sometimes.

Honestly, I think Wilderness Lodge is at the bottom for me. It's nice -- the grounds are pretty -- but I've never really cared for the decor so much. That's just me, a lot of people love it. Animal Kingdom Lodge is down the list too -- it's pretty, but so remote (not far from Animal Kingdom, but that's our least favorite park, so we aren't out that way much). I prefer the Savannah view rooms - that's a really cool experience.I love the restaurants there too.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Thanks for the perspective. Yep I live in the Tampa Bay Area and this would be a long weekend as most of our trips are. I loved Boardwalk Inn but we also had a cottage loft club level so that is pretty hard not to like lol.

Hubby seems to be leaning towards Yacht or Beach Club as we may spend some time at the pool and love the Epcot Resorts. I was kinda between those or Wilderness Lodge. AKL just seems to remote to me. Out of Beach or Yacht Club, do you have a preference? Do you have annual passes?

Hmm maybe I shouldn't rule out the Contemporary...oh and at WL, does the ferry take awhile to get to MK?

Quoting KTills:

I've stayed at them all, but here are my top choices:

My favorite near Epcot is Beach/Yacht Club (I like Boardwalk too, but I prefer those first).Love the convenience of everything...the pool kicks butt (although we don't spend a ton of time at them really)...being able to walk to the Boardwalk area is nice...and of course, Epcot...makes it easier to have a fun time over there and to be able to just walk back.

The Contemporary makes my list because I like being able to walk to/from MK and of course, being on the monorail line for hopping around. The gameroom there is my son's favorite place, he loves the monorail going through the hotel and just running around the wide open spaces. The rooms are nice, although the bathrooms don't have a ton of counter space, but we're never there more than a couple of nights for it to really matter (we're FL residents - as I believe you are too -- and we just pop over for long weekends, etc.).

After that, I'm not sure where I rank the rest. Probaly Polynesian and then the Grand Floridian. I like the Poly, but I don't like the separate buidlings all spread out (granted, there not THAT far away from each other), I just don't like being too removed and I hate having to run to a separate buidling in a storm! Grand Floridian is gorgeous, but my son doesn't find it too thrilling, so the hubs and I will stay there when we take just-the-two-of-us trips sometimes.

Honestly, I think Wilderness Lodge is at the bottom for me. It's nice -- the grounds are pretty -- but I've never really cared for the decor so much. That's just me, a lot of people love it. Animal Kingdom Lodge is down the list too -- it's pretty, but so remote (not far from Animal Kingdom, but that's our least favorite park, so we aren't out that way much). I prefer the Savannah view rooms - that's a really cool experience.I love the restaurants there too.

KTills
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Club level cottage at the Boardwalk Inn sounds nice! :-)

I prefer the Beach Club to Yacht -- I just like the decor/coloring better! Both are nice though. Yes, we have annual passes - we're in Tampa too!

I'm not sure about the ferry to MK from WL -- never done it! We always drive to the Contemporary (valet converts over) and walk/monorail from there. I think I mentioned before that my son loves that gameroom there and we always have to work that in somehow along the way if we aren't staying there at the Contemporary! Lol!

Have a great time wherever you end up! Keep us posted on what you choose!

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Hi neighbor lol

Quoting KTills:

Club level cottage at the Boardwalk Inn sounds nice! :-)

I prefer the Beach Club to Yacht -- I just like the decor/coloring better! Both are nice though. Yes, we have annual passes - we're in Tampa too!

I'm not sure about the ferry to MK from WL -- never done it! We always drive to the Contemporary (valet converts over) and walk/monorail from there. I think I mentioned before that my son loves that gameroom there and we always have to work that in somehow along the way if we aren't staying there at the Contemporary! Lol!

Have a great time wherever you end up! Keep us posted on what you choose!

dfollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We have only been to DW once and we stayed at AS Sports and liked it but we are going back for sure when we get the money........when we take my granddaughter I would like to go to the Polynesian then. But because I am part Native American and love the atmosphere I want to stay at the Wildernes Lodge, my oldest son want's to stay in Animal Kingdom.
nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Did you like AS Sports? The only value resort we have ever stayed at was Pop Century. I loved that resort, but not the rooms.

Quoting dfollin: We have only been to DW once and we stayed at AS Sports and liked it but we are going back for sure when we get the money........when we take my granddaughter I would like to go to the Polynesian then. But because I am part Native American and love the atmosphere I want to stay at the Wildernes Lodge, my oldest son want's to stay in Animal Kingdom.
Dawne98
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

We have stayed at BLT's, AKV, old key west,and  BW and I have to say I really liked the BW and having the boot to go to DHS and Epcot and the pool :) we also really liked AKV too, we had a savanna view and the pool is a good one too lol as you see for my DD's and I it's all about the room and the pool lol

pixiemg1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM

We've stayed at OKW, Beach Club & Boardwalk.  I like OKW for the relaxing setting and Boardwalk & Beach Club because they are close to Epcot.  We are going to be going in March of next year and are torn between Animal Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge or staying at one we have already been too.  

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Yeah I think AKL could be fun, but I hate that it is so far away from everything, we are currently reserved at Beach Club, but I am still considering changing it to WL. It is so good rates right now with the FL resident or passholder discount. It so hard to choose with so many great resorts. We usually don't care about the pool because we never use them, but this trip we are planning a pool day.

Quoting pixiemg1:

We've stayed at OKW, Beach Club & Boardwalk.  I like OKW for the relaxing setting and Boardwalk & Beach Club because they are close to Epcot.  We are going to be going in March of next year and are torn between Animal Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge or staying at one we have already been too.  

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Yeah we loved BW when we went for our anniversary and loved being close to Epcot. Plus we had a cottage loft with club level so that's pretty hard not to like lol

Quoting Dawne98:

We have stayed at BLT's, AKV, old key west,and  BW and I have to say I really liked the BW and having the boot to go to DHS and Epcot and the pool :) we also really liked AKV too, we had a savanna view and the pool is a good one too lol as you see for my DD's and I it's all about the room and the pool lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)