Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi ladies...tell me about the Disney cruises!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi Ladies, we are looking at a cruise and I am recovering from sticker shock b/c my sis-in-law asked me to get her quotes for Norwegian out of NYC to Bermuda in July, 2015.  She is probably picking the priciest time to go.  Well, I got quotes for myself, too and for my family of 5, depending on if we get ocean view or balcony is either over $6K or over $11K.  If I get something called an amenities package it adds $5K to that total.  I am in shock. :P So I am hearing great things about Disney cruises and also when is the best time to go-January, Feb & March when kids sail free?  How is the weather for that time?? I am a first time cruiser!!

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DW030714
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I've only had one friend of mine go on one with his 3 kids and they all loved it - they're not even 'Disney' people lol

I'm looking at taking my family of 5 next October, but only for 3 or 4 nights so we can do WDW as well.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Well that time of year is not hurricane season so that's a plus. Other than that i know nothing about Disney cruises lol

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM

We just got off DCL back in March. LOVED IT!!! My kids are ages 8 and 10 years old. They loved the kid's love and really liked the fact they could go to the kids club to the cabin by themselves. They have a magic band like the parks do now and can track the kids easily. We felt safe enough to let them roam a little bit on their own. 

We did not do any excursions since this was our first DCL cruise we wanted to spend time on the ship itself. 

We signed up for the fish exchange group. You can do that thru www.disboards.com I believe. :) Just hunt for your cruise date/ship. Its lots of fun and you will get to know people on the cruise.

The food is awesome and they really cater to you if you have food allergies. I am gluten and dairy free. :) Didn't get sick once. Hubby and I also tried Palo (I believe) for brunch one time and it was awesome. You have to pay extra for that meal but worth it. Kids can stay in the kid's club while you and hubby go to brunch. Feed the kids before hand.

Pirate night is awesome. Hubby and I dressed up. The kids did too. The fireworks were great as well and seeing Captain Jack was fun.

The characters are great on the cruise..you can be walking some where and run into them. They will chat with you.

If you have never cruised before I'd start off with a 3/4 day cruise. That is what we did. By 4th day we were so full and tired. 

You also get free soda included in the price as well as the meals.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ps...if we could afford DCL we would go again for sure. Since we can't afford it we are going on RCI this March. I know it won't be the same as DCL (no characters) but it will be okay. :)

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Oh and I don't think they (DCL) do kid's sail free deals. I have not seen them.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Oh and def worth getting a veranda. We LOVED our veranda. I fell asleep out there once day and there was even music playing from another ship next to us. It is so peaceful.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Oh we went in March as I said earlier and the water at their beach area was a bit cool for us. :( We are from Florida too.

MrsDavidB25
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Disney cruises are fantastic. We have been on 2 and have a 3rd booked next May. You aren't kidding with sticker shock, but you can find deals sometimes. Booking opening day they release new itineraries is the cheapest rate, or FL resident discounts, Military discounts, or GTY (DCL picks your stateroom) discounts are offered. They do not do kids sail free anymore. Sail in the off months when school is in session. Cheaper rates then. Good luck on your search! It is expensive but worth every penny!

KTills
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM

We've been on six Disney cruises -- our 7 year old son almost prefers them to the parks! They are fantastic! The ships are so clean, the staff are wonderful...the pools are tiny but we live in FL so they're not really a big thing to us...the shows are outstanding. The Kids Clubs are the best! The adult areas are nice and relaxing. I can't say enough good things about DCL!

We've cruised over Thanksgiving, in August, in March, and over Halloween. All have been great. I recommend the Fish Extender gift exchange too. So much fun -- as indicated, you can find your sailing date on the Disboards or through FB to join in on the fun. Most sailing dates have FB pages and even if you're not into doing the FE stuff, you can get to know others that will be on the cruise with you. We've done meet-ups and private Mixology classes for our FB groups before. It's fun to meet others and have other kids for ours to meet and hang out with.

The "Disney Cruising" FB page is also a wonderful source of information for newbies and veterans alike!

We had been on one cruise (Norwegian) several years ago and swore we'd never cruise again, that we just weren't 'cruising people' -- but that all changed in 2011 when my Dad took all of us on a Disney Thanksgiving cruise. Now I'm not sure I could cruise another line!

KTills
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM

...and Disney's Castaway Cay (their private island) is really pretty!

Dawne98
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM

We went on our 1st Disney cruises the year the Disney Dream came out and LOVE IT! It was just a 3 day and my DD's have me more then once that was the best Disney trip we have been on they LOVED IT more then WDW! In Feb of next year we are going on the Disney Wonder out of Miami FL..... (we live in Miami so it works out great and it's a 4-day) when I am on this cruise I'll rebook for our next one and when you rebook on the cruise your able to save a little on your down payment.....

As for the best time to go is anytime from the end of Nov until May when hurricane season is over:)

On our 1st Cruise my DD's DID NOT go to the clubs at all! Also I would NOT let my kids go anywhere on the Cruise alone! NOT that I don't trust my DD's I don't trust others!

It was the best and can not wait to go again :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)