Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help on a decision

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: How to save for vacation

Options:

send money to inlaw that lives there to hold on to it for us

put it on a pre paid visa card and let parent hold on to it ( out of sight out of mind)

other (tell me what you think)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

Ok we are going to disneyland next year. WE have a realy good friend comming from scottland with her kids to go to disneyland. But my ? is how to save for the trip I have a few ideas and would like more. but these are my ideas just to let you know we dont have a checking account or a savings account.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mommyx2BG
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:00 PM
                 Are you able to open up a savings account? I'm only asking because there are some savings accounts out there that wont let you touch the money you deposit into the account at your request.
kre4christ
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM
as long as you trust the relatives, i would send it to them. sometimes that is the only way it can be done.

kim
ShonnaPhelps
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:38 PM
Wow! When I just posted, every field was marked at 33%! Seems like this is a tough decision all around! If money just slips through your fingers then it may be best to slip it into the hands of VERY trusted in-laws. As long as they have never held anything over your head then it sounds good to me. Also, how much do you know about the in-laws? No gambling problems? No mounting debts? You have to REALLY know them before you give them your cash. Now would, also, not be the time to ask and find out...haha

The only reason I would shy away from a pre-paid Visa is because I have had billing problems with companies in the past. You WOULD not want to run into a typo or bad customer service while at the happiest place on earth. Also, when we travel, we have to notify our Card companies ahead of time because they can freeze the account when we start dropping cash suddenly. They say it protects them because it looks like a card has been stolen when large purchases are made out-of-state.

At the end of every Disney trip, we have the kids collect change and in a large, gallon jug. We tell them that when it's filled then we can return to Disney (it takes a couple of years!). My kids watch it like a hawk. It keeps us in line, too.
DisneyWishes
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:39 PM
You could also save up and buy Disney dollars - then you can't use it for anything else but Disney products.

mbrockus
by Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Quoting DisneyWishes:

You could also save up and buy Disney dollars - then you can't use it for anything else but Disney products.

Thanks I forgot all about the Disney dollars,
momoffour6075
by Member on Jun. 17, 2007 at 9:46 AM
We are going next month and we opened a savings account.  I have direct deposit of my check into my checking account.  I just had 10% of my check deposited into savings account.  We also bought our Disney tickets a few at a time to cut the cost into small chunks.  Now all we have to have is spending money for the trip.  Everything else is paid for.  Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)