Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

animal kingdom

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
ok so im going in nov but now i think im taking my 3 & 5 yr old to animal kingdom my little one hates mascots (wont get within 50ft of chuck-e-cheese) and that was part of the draw to dw. they on the other hand love animals and dinosaurs, and while my grandma is watching them for a min i'm going to sneak onto expedition everast (sp?). so who's been there and can help me out?
thanks
mandy
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cat323
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I have been there, Im sure most of the other posters on here have too! So, anyone can help you or try to help you! What would you like to know??

Cat

dani4983
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Been there what do you wanna know?
MetallicaMom
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:49 AM
Out of all the disney parks, I think AK has fewer  "mascots".  You can avoid those areas because they tend to group them.  There is so much  to do with a 3 and 5 year old.  I have taken my kids often and they always love it.  It's Disney, how could they not?
Do the Everest single rider line!
ckwwnw
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 3:41 PM
AK has a lot of good shows.  I think the kids would love them, and they have a cool playground.  We had so much fun just looking at the big tree!
ShonnaPhelps
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Not to totally throw you for a loop once you have made a decision, BUT I think Magic Kingdom is the most fun for preschoolers. I have taken my kiddos to Disney as preschoolers and they loved MK the most. Animal Kingdom is nice, but we only spend 1/2 a day there.

I wouldn't worry about the characters too much. They are usually kept a bit off of the main course. If they are more out in the open (like Winnie & Friends in Fantasyland) there's always a long line so it's not likely your children will even notice them unless you point them out.

Now I have to admit at this point that I'm not much of an animal lover so that may explain my personal boredom in Animal Kingdom. I never have too much fun at the zoo, either : )

My family loved the Bug's Life attraction, and we liked seeing the giant tree. My son, three at the time, loved the dinosaur area. The one downside was that he wasn't tall enough to ride several of the rides. The parade is much more accessible than the one in MK. The safari ride is neat for every age. But that's about all I remember (we weren't impressed with the train ride to the animal area - my kids actually asked to leave pretty quickly).

So if I were you I would first check out the height requirements for all of the rides. Then you can decide if there will be enough for everyone to enjoy the day. Also check to see if the park closes early (it usually does - although Disney has it in the works to add attractions that may make it an all day park). http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkLanding?id=AKLandingPage
sunnymom4boys
by Member on Jun. 21, 2007 at 9:10 AM

The first thing we do when we arrive at AK is hit the safari ride.  Sometimes we grab a fastpass, get in the line and ride the ride and then use our fastpass when we get off!  After the safari we hit the little Pangani Forest trail and see the birds, fish, hippos and other little animals.  From there you can take the express train to Rafiki's Planet Watch for a petting zoo and more animals, but we sometimes skip that one.  This last time we went (May) we headed over to Kali River and rode twice!  ( no line at all, and my 6yo was finally brave enough to go on.)  My 2yo and I watched the monkeys swinging above while we waited.  Dinoland is our other favorite area with cool carnival-type rides and games, the Boneyard (where you can dig for dinosaur bones) and of course the Dinosaur ride.  The Finding Nemo musical is also there but the last time we went the line was outrageous. 

montanamommy178
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2007 at 1:07 AM
Expedition Everest was a hoot! It's supposed to be the fastest roller coaster in all the Disney parks. And it is FUN!! We got fastpasses right away, which gave us time to do the Safari or looking at the animals. We had a 6-week old there though, so we only made it once :( We're going back in January though with NO KIDS!!! So we're gonna ride ride ride!!! Really try to sneak it in though - it's well worth it! Have fun!!
kristisma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2007 at 10:18 AM
Definitely take the kids to the new Finding Nemo Musical.   While we were there they had a technical problem so we were able to only see part of the show, but what we saw was really cool.     I agree that AK seems to have less mascots out in the open..   There are a few in Camp Minnie and Mickey but  they are off the main path..     There are a few also at the Planet Watch but you dont have to see them if you dont want to.   A good place to eat if they like dinosaurs is the restrantasarus.. The staff are dressed like palentologists and there are a lot of dino artifacts around the building.. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)