Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some tips for our vacation to Disney world...Please!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:39 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi all, I am going to Disney on Monday. Havent been since 1989 so I need some advice,tips....anything. This is our first big family vacation. I am going with my 6 year old and 12 month old and Hubby for almost 2 weeks. I am just wondering what I should pack other then the obvious. What do they let you bring into the park. What are the prices on things you know my daughter is going to want us to buy for her. So please lay it on me anything and everything I need to know before our trip. We are staying at Port orleans in MGM...Do they have fridges in there rooms? Help.
Thanks!!!!!
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kkolb1
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:44 PM
We've stayed at port orleans the last few times.  They have fridges.  Request a room close to the busses.  When you get there after you check in, before you go to your room, go to the cafeteria/gift shop & get the mugs.  You can refill them whenever you want, so fill up before you go to your room.  Are they still doing the transportation thing where they take your bags to your room?  If so, make sure you have clothes in your carry on & get goin!  If you're arriving & getting there before noon I'd head straight to Epcot & eat in the Land. They have a lot of diff. foods to choose from & that way you can go on soarin' right away!  Feel free to msg me with any ?'s.  our family LOVES Disney & always plans out our days to a T.  :o)
Arbogast
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:03 PM
We are going in September.  We have the dining plan.  I dont know how long you are going, but it is worth the money.  It includes most character meals etc.  I am taking $160.00 - $120 per kid.  We are also doing the pirates and princess party in which they close down majic kingdom. The kids were costumes and look for cholate coins and beads.  It cost us $160.00 with tax for that.  Take Water.  LOL!
MomtoMandJ
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM
For the 12 month old, bring a snugli or carrier.  For a lot of the rides you need to leave the stroller outside, and if you have to wait in line it'll be easier than carrying them.

Ana 
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

First bday pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekurlands/sets/72157600625513178/
Have books to trade? Join Paperback Swap:
http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?r_by=morijorasmom@yahoo.com

ShonnaPhelps
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:58 PM
To help cut down on the souvenir gimmees (you'll hear "I want this" til it makes you want to cry), we always give each child $20 Disney dollars. You can get them ahead of time at the Disney store, too. I get them all in ones 'cause it's easier for the kids to see them go.

I also recommend taking a cheap umbrella stroller. The big ones are just too much to haul in & out of the buses. The rentals at Disney are too expensive, and a bit of a hassle to check in & out.

I would throw in a small blanket for the 12 month old just in case. It's very odd to be cold at night during this time of year, but the little ones can catch a chill even when mom & dad are overcome by the heat : )

We buy the lanyard for the water bottles in the park. Then we just refill the bottle at fountains around the park. Your bodies will need water in the FL heat rather than another Coke.

Have a blast!
elyk73
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:02 PM
I'm here in Florida and it is very hot! I go to Disney quite often and I have a 4 year old who's first visit was at 3 moths of age. Bring a lot of sunblock and pack a change of clothes or swimwear for the kids. Epcot and Magic Kingdom have water playgrounds that the kids will both love. It will help cool them off too. If you can get sunblock with bug repellent even better. Most of the stores outside of the parks sell very nice souvenirs for the kids at a quarter of the price. I usually buy my daughter things before or after the parks. At the parks she is too entertained anyway to want anything else. She is happy with the outside souvenirs. Have fun!
ShonnaPhelps
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 2:06 AM
Here's a pic of the water bottle lanyard. You can buy them at the little snack carts inside of the parks. They are adjustable fabric straps with a loop at the end to hold a water bottle. As you can see, the kids wore them around their necks or across the chest. The convenience kept them fully hydrated (my hubby used to be a safety guy in the military so hydration is an obsession with him...haha).

KKmom170
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM

The one person was right they do offer refrigerators at the port orleans, remember to request one (they are not automatically in the rooms), they wont charge you because you have an infant. If you can go to a dollar store and pick up ponchos, that would be a great idea. We didn't do that when we went, so we bought them at the park, i think it was a waste of money to be honest.

If i think of anything else i will post again.

Have a Great Time!!!

Momontherun2
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Quoting KKmom170:

The one person was right they do offer refrigerators at the port orleans, remember to request one (they are not automatically in the rooms), they wont charge you because you have an infant. If you can go to a dollar store and pick up ponchos, that would be a great idea. We didn't do that when we went, so we bought them at the park, i think it was a waste of money to be honest.

If i think of anything else i will post again.

Have a Great Time!!!

Thats great I didnt even think of ponchos I am putting that on my packing list!
3Gdkids
by Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 9:54 AM
I would recommend a large supply of wipes.  not only are they used for the baby but will also keep you cool as well.  We also took a small battery operated mister fan for our daughter.  (handheld ones) that kept her nice and cool while waiting for the parades, lines etc.  Other items on top of my head are Poncho, sunglasses, sunblock, comfortable shoes!!!!!  I recommend for your children the nike sunrays or crocs.   They are so comfortable and never had my children complain once and they walked the parks.

As far as snacks you can bring stuff like grapes or goldfish for the infant, water.
We would freeze our water the night before so its always cold throught the day.
dont want to many DRY snacks. Fruits will keep hydrated as well.

ColdFire
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 10:02 AM
*L*  I posted a similiar post yesterday.  I am leaving next Friday (10th) and staying for a week and a half.  I can't wait. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)