Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rides I had never been on before

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM
  • 23 Replies

During our latest trip to Disney I got to ride two rides I had never been on before; Expedition Everest and Mission Space. One I may ride again, but I would take some Motrin first, and one you couldn't pay me enough to ever get on again. Expedition Everest is the one I may get on again. It was crazy! I have been on roller-coasters that go backwards before but this was so different because part is in the dark and it also goes forward. I really liked it but when I got off my neck hurt so bad I literally chewed a motrin to stop the pain faster. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Now mission space I will NEVER go on again. Everyone said you can't tell it spins and you just feel like you're taking off into space... so not true for me. I felt sooooo sick when I got off and ended up having to have hubby get me some Dramamine (which by the way you can purchase in the little shop right before you get to the countries.) The Dramamine made me so sleepy and I ended up napping in my wheelchair for part of the day, needless to say that wasn't a good day for me. I was really looking forward to riding this and it ruined the rest of the day for me. Anyone else feel like this after riding?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jamiemac
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM

My dh and I went on mission space on our honeymoon.  We ended up having to leave the park after that because we both felt soooooo sick.  I have heard that you can opt for the "non-spinning" version of the ride and that's the only way I would ever go back on it again.  We've been back there twice since our honeymoon and haven't even gone close to the ride.  We see the signs for it and shudder!

I haven't been on expedition everest, but last time we went, my husband went on (alone).  He said it was a fun ride.

By the way, people have died on both of those rides.....mission space - a small child died a few years ago and within the last year or 2 an older man died on everest, i believe.

Manderz27
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM

we didnt get on mission to space or whatever either.  the only space thing i went on was the one thats in the epcot golf ball thingie.  it sucked...my boyfriend called it "naptime" .  I DID ride...Everest tho.  I loved it.  Tower of terror...was AMAZING.  my favorite park was animal kingdom tho....id have to say the safari was my all time favorite!!!

mamaofwildboys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Mission space was too intense for me.  I rode the spinning version and never again.  My friends son got sick from it.  I have ridden the non spinning version too, and it was alot better.  I love expedition everest.  No problems with it. 

One thing I haven't ridden was the rapids water ride in Animal Kingdom.  Anyone been on it?  I might not be able to ride when we go in June this year either, hopefully will be preggo...lol

Tracelene
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

We have not done either, have not been to AK park yet, but we saw the sign to Mission Space and said NO thanks!   Didn't even want to attempt the non-spinning version.   I had to take a pic of the sign though....lol

~Tracy~

My Disney Forum: www.mymickeytrip.com

mom_of_3_angels
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I wish I had gone with my gut on that one and not ridin the orange side on Mission Space, but everyone told me it wouldn't feel like spinning. It surely did!!!

1disneyfanmom
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I have rode Everest loved it and I have never heard about any one dieing on that one but I will never ride Mission Space I get motion sickness as it is and there has been around 2 or 3 people that have died riding it NO THank YOU.

krazeerosie
by Jamie on Dec. 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Has Mission Space changed since 2004?  I rode it and I was fine. I don't remember there being 2 sides to it. I rode beside a 10 year old boy and I thought he was going to lose it. Thankfully he didn't

Lilypie 5th Birthday TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Addiemom
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 6:14 PM

I love Mission Space. Last time we went we rode it over and over. My dad wanted to ride it so bad but he is so claustophobic he couldn't get in.

I haven't been on Everest yet but can't wait.

I also haven't been on any of the non kid rides at MGM. Hopefully this next year!

Taz818
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:01 PM

When I rode Mission Space a few years ago, I thought it was great when I was on it, but as soon as I was off of it, I started getting really hot and not feeling well.  Since then I've only ridden the green version, and that's been completely fine.  We were in Disney World two weeks ago, and my five year old was tall enough and we all rode together and had a great time.  Nobody felt bad afterwards, so I would recommend the green version.

Cadyrose
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:49 PM

We did Kali River Rapids when we went in October. That I have to say is one of my top favorites. We get a disability pass cause my kiddos are autistic so we are able to go through the FastPass line. It was perfect for them, water and a raft that spins a little. (Don't worry not anything like Mission Space) It is a raft so it kinda flows with the water. It is a really great eide. The first day we went on two times in a row. Our last day in AK, my daughter and I went three times.

My advice, bring an extra pair of clothes. We choose to make this the last ride also before we end our day in AK. Also ponchos can't hurt. Buy the at Walmart for $1 before you leave cause it is going to be like $7-9 or more at DW.

Quoting mamaofwildboys:

Mission space was too intense for me.  I rode the spinning version and never again.  My friends son got sick from it.  I have ridden the non spinning version too, and it was alot better.  I love expedition everest.  No problems with it. 

One thing I haven't ridden was the rapids water ride in Animal Kingdom.  Anyone been on it?  I might not be able to ride when we go in June this year either, hopefully will be preggo...lol

Kristin, Co-Admin Autism/Asperger's/PDD Awareness

jigsaw ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)