Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dining plan

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

Not sure how much it costs to pay for your meals while in Disney...should I purchase the meal plan or should we pay as we would be my hubby, self, and would be 4 yr old son.  I was also interested in character breakfast and western review which I know will be two table services but how much do they cost seperately...we may not do those but I always like to try to know about these things before hand. Thanks!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I highly recommend the hoop dee doo, its awesome!! Just make sure you book that at your 180 day mark. It books ridiculously fast.

We always do the meal plan because we like to eat all of our meals on site. For us the food is just as much part of the vacation. We also like to do a sit down dinner everynight.

If you were planning to bring a lot of your own food or eat on the run all the time it may not be the best decision.

I would recommend deciding where you think you will probably eat your meals, then go to They have all the menus and prices there. add it up and see what it would cost to do it with and without the plans.

by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Thank you...I'll check that out and see what I come up with

by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I would definitely reccomend the dining plan... it was really worth it!!

by Jamie on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

My son was a picky eater at 4 and I didn't want too much of our time planned to get in line. We went when it was busier( christmas). So we stayed off property( husband needed a disney break), we ate in our room sometimes, ate at Mcdonalds(kids ate free) and once did a buffet really cheap. We did 3 sit downs in the parks( Crystal Palace, Christmas day at Rainforest cafe and Germany). We did buffets because of son being a picky eater and our daughter was free. We took in drinks , fruits, and snacks so at the counter service we just bought the main entree. So we ate when we were hungry instead of getting out of a line for a set dinner time.

Lilypie 5th Birthday TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I love the dining plans.  Pricing for 2010 isn't out yet, so I couldn't tell you what the prices will be.  Disney has also changed when dining can be booked, but for shows as of now it is still 180 days.  Character breakfasts are usually 1 table credit, except for Cinderella's Royal Table.  Feel free to email me!

Michelle  Travel Agent & Disney Freak

Affiliated with MouseEar Vacations & Cruising Co.

by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Try reading Disney Dining Plan Explained for a breakdown of costs and what is included.  If you are planning to do Table Services, I think the Dining Plan is the way to go.

Extended Breastfeeding - Babywearing - Happily Married
Stay-at-Home - Christian - Mama

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Ask a Cast Member's Wife at Disney Planning 101!

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM

In 2008 we had the dining plan with 1 Table Service, 1 Counter Service and 1 snack per day.  We had myself, hubby, 7 year old son and 2 year old twins.  The twins were free and we all ate well even though we had to share the food.  There were HUGE portions!  Being our first time at Disney I enjoyed the Table meals.  A chance to sit down and relax, cool off, eat a great steak.

The downside to that is you "waste" a lot of time at these meals.  And you have to be somewhere at a specific time to eat which was kind of inconvenient for our group of 11 people.

This year when we go we are only doing the Counter Service meals - 2 per day plus 2 snacks.  The twins are no longer free but that's ok.  We decided rather than having to be somewhere for a Table meal, we'd rather have more freedom to eat where and when we want.  I did go through the dining plan list to make a list of the CS places we ate last time and where we'd like to eat this time so when we are roaming the parks I know where the plan works.

it is personal preference.  Next time we go after this, we might go back to Table meals because the boys will all be older (and so will we) so a relaxing break might be nice for the third trip.

Michelle (chelle1141 ) did book our trip for 2009 and was great if you need someone to help you out!

by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM

You can go to or and find menus and pricing for most restaraunts.  They said it was $37.99 per adult and I think it's $9.99 or something for kids under 13 or so (not sure about the kids though since we don't have any to pay for).  We seriously checked into the meal plan for DH and I (DD is only 2) and it really really isn't worth it for us.  We typically don't eat like that!  For breakfast, I would typically get a kids meal and split with DD (she only eats a couple of bites) and a banana.  That's enough for me.  For lunch, DH and I typically get an appetizer and 1 or 2 entrees (total, not each!) and no dessert and water to drink.  The meal plan includes an entree and dessert and a nonalcoholic beverage.  But if you are the type to do large dinners (we always do table service lunch, which is cheaper) it might be worth it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)