Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

staying off site

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone stayed off site in a rental house? If so where did you stay and what are the pro's and cons to staying off site.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Disneymom1218
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I would think the only pro to staying off site in a rental home would be more space, kitchen, and laundry? now for the cons, no use of disney transportation you would ahve to drive yourself each and every day, pay for parking each and every day, no extra magic hours, no free dining plan when it comes out,having to drive thru traffic to get to the parks and leave the parks after you have been there all day and tired, harde rto take the kids back mid day for a nap. that is all i can think of right now.

USMCWIFEFOREVER
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM

We stayed off site  at Fantasy club villas and loved it http://www.fantasyworldresort.com/ just a week ago..... 4 years ago we rented a vacation house at indian creek or indian ridge i think this is the link http://www.indiancreekflorida.com/indian_creek.htm

PROS:  1.the space (2 bed rooms 2 baths sleeps 6 full kitchen and laundry, screened in patio)

2. saved tons of money $$$$. saved on the cost of the room, saved on food b/c we were able to cook dinners at the villa also we were able to keep drinks and lunch stuff to carry into the parks with us.

3. Didn't have to wait around for the disney buses or feel like i was stuck on Disney property.  we went to dinner "out in town" a few nights and went and played mini golf (it was a nice change from walking the parks with 3 toddlers).

CONS:  1...The cost can be high depending on what time of year you go and where you stay and the rooms are no bigger than a room at a holiday inn

2... Disney has great resorts, with fun pools and playground and arcades....that means that the kids will be driving you nuts for money to use at the arcade lol. you also have to settle for what is in walking distance (resort food court) or what is at the parks for food.  you can stock up the mini fridge with stuff from the way over priced mini mart in the hotel. 

3... Disney buses do not always run on time....most of the time (from my experience)  they are at least 20-30 late so you left waiting with kids that are going stir crazy b/c they can't wait to get to the park or are super tired from being there. plus the buses get really packed and on a hot summer day 30 people sweating on one bus smells...

I have a lot more pros and cons pm me if you have any questions

1disneyfanmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I personally have done both and staying on Disney is the better choice my boss lady is carrying her family (about 15) she is getting 3 rooms at the Pop Century but she is also doing the buy 4 get 3 free and it was cheaper than a house off property and then using your gas to drive back and forth when we park our cars I don't see it for the whole duration of our vacation if I do not want to, you will have to pay for parking and remembering where you parked and all of that. And I'm doing the same but I only have myself, mom and daughter going but we joined my boss Lady's group because we were going at the same time and staying the same amount of time but we want be hanging out together to much. Any way what ever you choose enjoy. Oh buy the way I have been about 8 times and I DO PREFER STAYING ON PROPERTIE. 

MY2QTZ0205
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM

We have made the decision to stay off-site in a rental home when we go in October.  We made this decision because:

1) There are 4 family groups going: us, our 2 kids, my in-laws, my bil & sil, and my mom, and I wanted us to have a common gathering area so we can eat together, play games after the kids go to bed, etc.

2) It will be our 10th anniversary and we want our own bedroom. LOL

3) My son will be a missing a week of school (1st grade) and I want a quiet place to do schoolwork with him.

4) We will have our own pool.

5) We are going to rent from Elite Homes, and for 6 bedrooms/4 bathrooms, it is only $169/night.  All of the homes are 5 to 15 minutes from the park.  Yes, we will have to have a rental car, but I like not having to rely on others to get me around.

6) Eating out with my kids is NOT fun, so we will be eating dinner at the house!

1disneyfanmom
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Yea that is a lot of people I think you made the right decision on that I hope you have a fun time.

christina0607
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 11:08 PM

We have done both. Now that we have stayed on property, I do not think we would ever go back to off property. The only pro I can think of is more space, but we never spend that much time in the room. Someone mentioned that a pro would be not being stuck on disney property, but really thats a wash because the same car that would get you to the property everyday could just as easily get you off if you stayed onsite.

pbjmomi
by Member on Jan. 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Well, as far as expense goes, I would think renting a villa is cheaper than all of the above (depends on which one, of course). There's Cypress Pointe (if you're military) and the one that we're staying in is Westgate Villas. We've never had a problem with staying offsite and hopefully, we'll never have a problem with it 'cause to me, staying onsite is waaay to expensive. Even with the current deal that Disney has for their resorts, I thought it would be better to stay at a villa since my son (2 years) seems like he'd appreciate the space. As the kids get older, I like the fact that they can have their own room while we have ours and we'll still be in the same unit, so we'd still look into gettting a villa. When we go to Disney we usually just do one park a day, so we dont' need to wait for the buses no more than you usually would have to anyway. If your off site hotel isn't that far away then it wouldn't be too much longer before you're in for the night. To me, it's worth it...  

Laure67
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Hi. we stayed off site last April. It was great! It was about 10 miles from everything and easy to get to. I went on Hotels.com and went under condo in the Kissimee area and the name of the place that we stayed at was Florida Magic at Sun Lake condos. We had a 2br/2bath  and 2 living rooms and dinning and a full size kichen and laundry room and screen porch. It was new and very big and it was great to cook in the morning and late night snacks. We stayed 5 nights for 550.00 dollars. The only thing is you have to bring extra toilet paper and paper towels and laundry soap and dish washer soap. You have to take out your on trash which was no big deal and no maid service. It had everyhthing else you need to eat and cook with. It also had a whirlpool tub and it was great. It has a pool and hot tub and gym and pool tables. It was a ice place. We are going this Weds. and this time we are staying at the cabins at Fort Wilderness and this will be a new adventure for us. Hope this helps you out .

TheMommyBishop
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM

When we went, my aunt and her family met us there and we sort of done the vaca together. We stayed on site and had the deluxe dining plan, they stayed off site and had a rental car. They paid out a lot for food and were limited by their budget, they also had to deal with parking and walking a lot more. They said they'll never stay off site again. They were in downtown disney (really close) but said the hassle of getting from place to place wasn't worth it. We just hopped on a bus and they were usually on time. We went in June of last year.

~Paige   butterfly

walshj99
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM

We stayed on-side last time and wound up renting a car because the Disney shuttles took awhile.  Our kids just couldn't handle the wait and, frankly, neither could my husband.  I did like being surrounded by the whole Disney atmosphere.  Ia lso liked being able to buy something at the park and having it delivered to our room.

We're staying off property this time, in Kissimmee.  We're staying twice as long as we did last time but paying a lot less because the house is just so much less expensive than a Disney Resort.  We're also going with family this time, so we needed a larger place.  As far as space and $$ goes, staying off-site is a better deal.

I don't know if it will feel as "Disney" as staying on the property did.  I'll let you know when I get back.  We're leaving on the 7th fo Feb. and we'll be back on the 15th. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)