Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Affording to go

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

How do you afford to vacation these days? My husband and I have savings and enough to go, but when we get back our savings would be tapped out. This has prevented us from going because if something were to happen here and we needed money we wouldn't have it.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
pugslave
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:59 PM

We have a tentative trip scheduled for 5/2-5/9, and as my husband is still currently unemployed, my parents have offered to pay for our tix, dining, and airfare if he is still not working (we used our DVC points for the room), so that may be how we can "afford" our trip :)   That being said, other alternatives are to look into the seven for four price, which has been extended through March.  They also now have a counter service dining plan that is much cheaper. We have also had garage sales before we go, which helps us get rid of a lot of stuff we don't need any more, and is an easy way to get extra cash.  You could also sell stuff on Ebay, like outgrown children's clothes.  People also list their Southwest Airlines vouchers, so you might be able to get some money saved off your airfare if your flying. 

KristyLV
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:02 PM

That is a good question but a hard one. The way I afford it is to save a little each week. So maybe the kids aren't going to Chuck E cheese this week but the $30 I would have spent there goes in my "Disney" fund.  I also save our spare change. Last time the spare change alone paid for most of our flight.  I also try and have a garage sale a few months before out trip to help pay for it. You would be surprised how much stuff you have that may be no longer useful to you but someone else would want it.  I get the kids involoved in that to so that they feel they are helping us pay for the trip.  I ask family to donate their "unwanted stuff" to add to our sale.

immadismom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I am struggling with this same question.  However, I have just decided that this year I am paying for this trip with my tax return.  I am a single mom, and have almost no savings other than my retirement at work.  I struggle most of the time.  And yes, I have some bills I should be paying off with the tax return, rather than going on a big vacation.  However, this is something I have wanted to do with my daughter since she was born.  I wanted to wait until she was a little older so she would remember it.  Her dad & I split when she was two, so for those next two years there was no way I could even think about it.  This year, I'm lucky to be able to say that other than rising grocery & gas costs, my job is 99% secure & stable, I am able to pay everything and have just a tiny bit left over.  So, I'm biting the bullet, and we're going.  My parents are going with us, so they will help with some of the costs.  I also do a few odds & ends here and there to make a few extra $, so this year that money will be going  in the bank for this trip.  I am determined that we are not going to get there and count every single penny, I will make sure that we can just relax and have fun!!!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
krazeerosie
by Jamie on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:42 PM

This trip unlike our Dec 2007 is possible thanks to Timeshare visits. I collected up the tickets from one, the room for 5 days is from an offer where they called us so the gas to drive down, the extra 3 nights and food is the only thing we are having to pay for. We will bringing foods for breaksfast, snacks and using the microwave to save money. This is a trip about just having some fun not hitting every park. It's our WHAT the HELL trip.  Now in Dec 2010 we will be taking a big Disney trip that also includes Universal studios with no kids in DIAPERS. So excited about that.  We are building a storage building on our land so my little building we are cleaning out and finally getting rid of baby items since we just had our last child. So it's nice to fill okay with cleaning out the maternity cloths, the baby girl clothing and since my son is growing so fast the 0-12 month clothing all before we leave for Disney.

Lilypie 5th Birthday TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

christina0607
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I have a vacation account. Its a savings, but not our regular savings, it's in addition to that. We put money in there regularly. When it gets high enough we start planning and by the time we are ready to go we have enough. The money we out in there is "found" money. For instance I just received a check for over payment on my escrow account last year, it went in there. Our tax money this year will go in there. It doesn't always. Plus I might throw some money in there just for the hell of it.

This year though we are choosing not to spend it at disney. We are going to drive to Cedar Point instead. It's going to cost a lot less, which will hopefully mean we can go a bit longer next year. I'm excited to go to cedar point, something different, we've never been there. And we plan to stay in a resort with an indoor water park. So that should be fun.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM

We booked the trip in November, and my SO pays a little toward the trip on each paycheck. I am putting 1500 of my income tax return towards it. We are just cutting back, and saving! We are also driving, which is going to save us almost a grand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)