• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking my 3 year old to Magic Kingdom next month, need advice.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am taking my 3 year old DD to MK next month for the first time. I could use some tips, advice, suggestions. Anything u could tell me. We are going on Mon March 9th (which is her father's bday) and the 10th. We got a FL resident ticket for $99 for 2parks/2days. We're just gonna split MK up into 2 days since there's so much to see. Since we're going on DD's father's bday and we're buying a package deal they're giving us a gift card to use inside the park for the value of his ticket (since they have that deal to get in for free on ur bday) so that's cool. We're also gonna take her to the Bippidi Boopody Boutique (sp?) to get a princess make-over and we're gonna go a character dinner and we'll be staying at either the All Star movies or All Star music hotels. I plan on packing plenty of snacks and water bottles. Any other suggestions from and of u pros? Thanks alot!

busy momCrystal  margarita time

* Mommy to Madison - 3 & Danny - 14mons

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sammybea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM
  1. Sunscreen!
  2. hand sanitizer
  3. zip lock bags for keeping things dry on water rides.
  4. autograph book for DD
  5. maybe a small toy or something for waiting in lines.  A LINE ONLY toy.

HAVE FUN!!!

trara1375
by New Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM

If your daughter is an early riser, get to the parks early.  If you are the first to arrive at Tinkerbell's Treasures in Fantasyland, you have the opportunity to wake Tink, and get a special certificate and such, if the music is playing, she's already awake, if not, ask to wake up Tink-quite an experience for a young girl.

Take lots of pictures and talk about everything after the trip-they remember more then.  We took my 3 yr. old son and he still talks about different rides and shows (he's 4 1/2 now).

Characters can be quite scary, so don't be surprised if it takes her a few to warm up to them...if she does at all.

Got a stroller?  My son napped in the stroller once a day and was much more enjoyable for it.

Take advantage of kid swap.  If you and/or hubby want to ride a ride a bit to big for her, stand in line with him.  Once one of you have ridden the ride, and your daughter off and the other will be able to enjoy the ride with out having to wait in line a second time.

If the crowds aren't too bad, ask to ride in the front of the Monorail...it's a nice perspective and most of the time you get a special Monorail Co-Pilot's license.

Ejoy the day, and let her lead the way at times.  Beware that Snow White's ride can be scary.

Keep yourselves light hearted, go with the flow and be ready to compromise

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I got for now.

chelle1141
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Go at your daughter's pace.  Don't expect to see everything all at once.  Take breaks...often.  Try to see everything through her eyes, it's magical!  I'd be happy to help if you haven't booked your room yet...let me know!

Michelle  Travel Agent & Disney Freak

Affiliated with MouseEar Vacations & Cruising Co.

MichelleD@CruisingCo.com

jencoffeelover
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I agree with the other posters.

When we went last May our twins were 2 1/2 and had a blast.  We were early risers and did the early hours and stayed late into the night.  Our family is an "on the go" family. We had the stroller and when the twins got tired, they napped and I sat with them, or had a snack or walked around with them while DH and son and the rest of Dh's family rode rides.  Not a big deal.  We felt with 11 people in our party and Table Service reservations, taking the twins back to the resort to nap was not an option.  They would have slept the 10 minutes in the van and not slept at the resort and we would have missed out on tons of fun.  They would nap for 15 minutes or up to 45 in their stroller some time mid afternoon.

Something fun we do is trade pins with the Cast Members.  You can go on Ebay and get Disney pins in lots of 50, 100 or more for usually under $2 a pin.  Take them to the parks and trade with cast members.  It is a fun and not overly expensive way to bring home souveniers.  Plus you can start a nice collection.  Watch for Sedesmas and make sure the Ebay seller says that the Disney logo and stuff is on the backs. 

Also go online and google free things to do at Disney.  There are lots of ideas on things to do all over the property.

Have fun!

shoegal
by Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I agree with all the other posters, your from FL also so you know about the sunscreen. Maybe a little hat to keep the sun out of her eyes. Have you made all you resverations for the BBB and your ADR. Be sure to check out the FL resident rate for the hotels right now. Don't forget your photopass either, that way you'll have pics of all of you guys. Have a magical time.

sandrasanders
by Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Ponchos... get them before you go to save some money, you can use them on splash mtn. if you ride that... and if it rains you will be covered, dont forget your little one, if you have a stroller your taking with you and have a rain cover dont forget it... I am going up this weekend and its sapose to rain the day we get there and the day we leave... bring snackies, MK even has a baby care station (I have not been) but I hear it wonderful and your little one can escape disney and have a snack and rest in the AC (its just as you leave main street to the left before you get to the castle I think the restaurant is Casey something... ?!) you can also wait there for the parade let say you or her father hold spaces for the parade and when its close to starting you bring her out so she can watch...

mommytobobby
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM

also, check into the child swap ticket. here is a link explaining it: http://www.wdwinfo.com/childswap.htm

it's a great way for both of you to ride a ride that your dd can't ride.

if dd isn't into the characters and you plan on getting there early, or on the second day, you could bypass the festivities at the beg of the park, go to the peter pan ride first, since the line can get pretty long (i've seen it over 100 min wait). get a fastpass if you can, or i can tell you a shortcut to get behind the castle since it will be blocked off in the morning.

pick a spot early for the parades. one idea, is to have you're snack or lunch while waiting. that way she's not so impatient about the parade starting. ask one of the characters where each parade starts and ends. that way you can plan where you might want to be (def a shady place).

another way to cool down, take a ride on the train around the park. the carousel of progress used to be a good place to cool down, but the last time i was on it, it felt like the ac was out. there is a "misting" place in tomorrowland close to space mountain to help cool off.

oh, and check and make sure if there are any of the rides closed on the days you will be there. maybe it's closed one day, but not the next.  http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/calendar/

some other tips while you will be there:

1. liberty tavern doesn't offer character dining any longer

2. buzz lightyear ride in tomorrowland will be closed on march 9, it could possibly be open. i've seen 2 different dates. the other being march 6

3. the hall of presidents animatronics show is closed

4. http://allears.net/tp/emhour.htm
                  this website let's you know what rides will be open on the extra hours night.

sorry it got so long. but, HTH

The beauty of my body is not measured by the size of the clothes it can fit into, but by the stories that it tells. I have a belly and hips that say, "We grew a child in here," and breasts that say, "We nourished life." My hands, with bitten nails and a writer's callus, say, "We create amazing things."
- Sarah, from I Am Beautiful: A Celebration of Women in Their Own Words
gennas-mama
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Watch the Snow White ride.   My dd was 2 1/2 when we went.  She loves Snow White.  She got scared and closed her eyes.  For the rest of the day, every ride we went on she kept her eyes closed!!

tgb
by Member on Feb. 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Oh, 3 is a perfect age to take her for the first time. My daughter had been once when she was 2 but at 3 her eyes really popped. You have gotten some great suggestions. it is great that you are doing MK for 2 days. We usually use one day to see the characters and rides  the next. Will you be there on a Extra Magic Hours day? If so take advantage of this. We go back to the room for a nap and head back to the park later in the afternoon on these days. The crowds will be getting heavier in March because of spring break and we have always run into a cheerleading thing when we have gone in March so you may be waiting in some lines. This past trip I got some very small bottles of bubbles for the girls to play with while waiting in line or the parade. it was great. Before we knew it we were there. It is also a good time for a snack while waiting so pack a soft-sided cooler with snacks and drinks.

Other suggestions: 

The weather can get warm on March so pack some clothes that are light but night can get cool so carry a sweater or jacket, maybe a small blanket for your baby. Take sunblock and a hat for her. The Snow White ride is scary so forgo it. Also my girls don't like Peter Pan because it is too dark but you know your child the best. My girls are 4 and 2 so seeing the characters is the best.  Don't miss the either parade she will love them. My girls love Small World and the Carousel. I always bring a change of clothes for my girl to the park, just in case. I bring wipes,tissues,hand sanitizer, chap stick, extra batteries for the camera.

If I think of more i will post. Make sure you check out allears.net

Have a great day!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)