Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to Fort Carson some questions !!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

Hello army wives !! We are right now stationed in Hawaii and just found out we are moving there by the end of the year I just have some quesitons.

1) I would like to know how cold it gets in the winter months like what is the temp average. We have not seen snow in about 3 years.

2) My hubby wants to know how often they deploy there he is a engineer

3) How are the school's we have a son in kindergarten and we heard the schools on the mainland are more advanced

4) Are the school buses free? They cost here so much

5) How is the housing on post ? Our friends say there are no houses open but just wanted to ask about that

6) Do you know the rate of child care. I was thinking about getting a job and here it's about 400 a month for child care.

Sorry about all the questions this will be our second big move and I am so ready for the change oh and is there a Olive Garden there lol we have nothing here on this island. Thanks for reading !!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Hi. My family was just stationed at Fort Carson so I think I can help a little. The winters there are pretty cold. The snow starts in October and continues through May. It's not a daily thing, but it does snow often. The northern part of town seems to get the worst of everything. I don't really know what the average temps are, but can probably tell you that.

As far as deploying goes, it depends on what brigade he ends up with and what cycle they're in when you get there. You might be able to find out more info on the brigades on the fort carson website.

My daughter went to preschool at Abrams elementary on post and it was great. They assign schools on post according to which neighborhood you live in. She also went to Turman Elementary off post for the second half of preschool (We moved offpost when we bought a house) and it was good there too. Then when we found out we had to move to Bliss, we rented out the house and moved into a little apartment where she went to Stratton Meadows Elementary for Kindergarten. The class size there seemed large and the kids in her class were a bit unruly. The school was ok though. Turman and Stratton Meadows are in District 2. I've heard a lot of good things about District 20. That's towards the north end of town. 

I don't really know anything about the busses. Miquela could not ride the bus because we lived so close. They have so many schools that everyone who lives within like a five mile radius goes to the same school. They did that so they didn't need busses. But if your kids did have to ride the bus, I'm pretty sure it would be free.

I lived in Shoshoni Village on post. For the most part, I liked the house. They have remolded a great majority of the homes on post and have just built some new ones by the commissary and PX. Living on post is probably the same everywhere. It really just depends on who your neighbors are and if they have good character. All of the housing has fenced in yards. Some have garages, we had a shared carport, and some have no covered parking at all. That's not so great when the snow comes. We absolutely loved Fort Carson and Colorado Springs as a duty station. There are tons of things to do and the community is very friendly to the Soldiers. Just about anywhere you go you can show your military ID and get a 10% discount at least.

Hourly childcare costs 3.50 per hour unless hubby is deployed, then its 3.00. Also, you get 16 hours free per month when he's deployed. You have to use those hours in four hour time blocks. Full time daycare cost me 400 there too. I liked the center, the care givers were really nice.

There is an olive garden there. The one we went to was outside the Citadel Mall. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :)

by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Thank you !! We are locked in for Fort Carson right now we don't know when me move yet !! I am just worried about the schools because the school our son goes to there are about 20 kids in his class so he did get a little one on one attention. Our son can be a handful sometimes so I really hope he can get some structure in the school !! Thank you for the help !!

by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Last winter it got to -20 here in pueblo which is only about 38 miles from base I've been here for going on 2 yrs we live off base and bought a house

by New Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM

We moved from Hawaii to FT Carson 2 years ago. The first ting I realized was that I did not have any shoes!!!

Our boys were in Junior High and High School and did NOT have any problems adjusting. In fact, they said their schools in HI were harder than here.

I worked at Solomon Elementary on Schofield and work in the schools here so contact me with any questions and I'll see what I can do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)