Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Detroit Friends and Advice?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 249 Total Views
Hi All!

We are planning to move to Detroit this summer (if at least one of us can find a good job there), and I would love to make some new friends in the area. And if anyone has any advice on neighborhoods and schools, I'd love to hear it.

I have a 10yr old and a 2 yr old, and we are very into environmental causes, urban renewal, and Dr. Who.

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, semi-vegetarian, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (9), the cutest little boy ever born (2), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MissMysteriouss
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM
You are not moving to the city of Detroit, are you?

I won't even go to Detroit and I was born and raised 25 minutes outside of Detroit.

By your description. It sounds like Ann Arbor would be a good fit for you.

Even Novi, Plymouth, Northville or Canton.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Are you moving to Detroit or around it? I live  close right now but lived in the city as a child. Even moving 5 minutes out of the city can make a big difference.

shinybright
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

There are few job opportunities in the city of Detroit and even fewer decent, safe places to live.  From your siggy it says that you are a lawyer, there are many good law firms in Detroit as well as the U of D Law School.  Southfield is another city that is the home to a few large law firms.  The cities of Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, South Lyon, Troy are all within commuting distance of the city of Detroit and the Detroit Metropolitan Area and they all have pretty good school systems.  Welcome to the area! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN