Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok so i wanna start my own business, but how????

Posted by on May. 1, 2007 at 5:09 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 376 Total Views
ok so i wanna start my own business, but i dont know how, im not very business minded, and i dont want it to  consume my life so that i have no time for my family ..by that i mean my son n i, im a single mom which also presents a problem... i work full time at a bank but i wanna bring in more money on the side, and i dont know how to get started, or even what to start... can ne1 give me ne ideas? so that once i get this at-the-moment fictional business off the ground it can b my sole source of income n that way i can quit the work i do now n be home w/my son... im needy, i know... help??!!
by on May. 1, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ohmsmom
by on May. 1, 2007 at 6:05 PM
first figure out what you are passionate about!
jakeaboosmommy
by on May. 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Quoting ohmsmom:

first figure out what you are passionate about!

honestly, a lot of things.. music, i would KILL to b a wedding planner... but dont u need a degree for that? and that would 092785964795734 yrs to break into and being that im a single mom, that wouldnt work.... i dont know whats in need rite now... ugh, im so lost... a restaurant? only i cant cook lmaooo... my dad n i when i was a teenager always talked about opening up a nite club.. but omg i dont think im smart enuff for that... i jsut dont know what do !!!! i just know i wanna b my own boss n i wanna love what i do...  i need ideas....
lbraun
by on May. 1, 2007 at 6:44 PM
Why not start with the wedding planning in mind.  No, you don't need a degree, just experience and a nice portfolio.  It would be a slow start, just as if you were to go to school for it, but your overhead would be a lot less since you are not paying for your classes.

Start reading up online, the library, bookstores, and the like.  Get advice on wedding planner forums, on where to begin.

Down the road when you have friends and family getting married, offer to do the planning for them pro-bono.  It helps you gain the hands on experience, as well as building your reference list and portfolio.

There is no true, easy way to start a business and have it instantly successful.  As a matter of fact, rushing into it without true readiness will only set you up for failure within the first year alone.

I started my freelance work as a hobby, and over a course of 10 years, I went from part time, to working full time from home back in 2003.  Which leads me to say...DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB. :)

Start it out small enough where you can focus on your business part-time.  As clients/revenue roll in, that's when you can decide to put in your two weeks at your full-time job.

This is applicable not only to being a wedding planner, but any business you decide to run.

Take about 2-4 weeks to get a plan going...it can sometimes take months to truly have a business up and running, even if only part time.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
momaonthego
by on May. 1, 2007 at 6:52 PM

All I can say is Arbonne International. I have more information on them on my page in my journal posts and it is very easy to start out and you can work around your job and your child.

workathomemama
by on May. 1, 2007 at 8:37 PM
If you want to start a home biz with a 15 year old reputation and well known name already behind you, you may want to look into Ameriplan.  I love this business and it is something to be passionate about - we are helping  save money on their healthcare costs.  You receive benefits when you work at home with us and have the freedom to set your own hours and earn unlimited income!  Visit my group to learn more: http://www.cafemom.com/group/stayhomewithme or my website: http://www.freedomathometeam.com/wiler

I would love to help you work at home!
Christina
CircleofLight
by on May. 2, 2007 at 1:56 PM
Hi,
I started my own business six years ago...love it...doing well with it! I am independent consultant with PartyLite Gifts and Candles. Please check out my site at www,partylite.biz/kathypascal.com to get a brief overview of the company, etc. We offer a no-cost start up kit, flexible schedule, unlimited income opp and 50% discount to name a few benefits. I am looking for smart women to assist in a $5MM dollar candle business.

Love to hear from you!
TFLPMOMMY
by on May. 2, 2007 at 2:01 PM
Well I am a mom of 4 so I know about limited time!!!!

I have been with The Fragrant Lemon Peel (we do spa parties at home) for 3 yrs now and still love it!
check out my profile and my website for more info.

www.spartystarter.com
Breanne
by on May. 2, 2007 at 10:11 PM
After having my son I always knew that I wanted to stay home with him. However, money was an issue so my husband and I had to work opposite shifts to keep him out of daycare. My husband and I hardly had any time together. Then 2 1/2 years later our second addition came along and we both knew that I needed to be home to raise them.

I had been searching for a company that I could work from home with and finally I found it! I know that I will be able to accomplish my goals and dreams with this 21 year old Team and Company and I know that You CAN Too!!The company that I am partnered with is an award winning wellness company with an impeccable record with the BBB, and they supply you with Support, Free Training, and a Free website. Everything is 100% risk free. If you have the will, then I know the way!

http://www.workathomeunited.com/breannej
coffeeemama
by on May. 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM
ok, I need you to read this BEFORE you hate me!  This is not meant to be negative, and I apologize if I get long winded.

I have owned a retail store for 7 years, (we have home decor, our own bath and body line, a 4 bed tanning salon,we offer massage, and have a full coffee shop with a full lunch menu all under one roof.  I started this business with the intention of starting a family, hey honey, won't it be great I can bring the kids to work with me, spend time with them, get them socialized, I can have the best of both worlds right?  WRONG!!!!  Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, and I love my job. 
HOWEVER......
If you choose to work out of the house: ask yourself these questions:
(these are some of the problems I have run into)
most businesses fail the first year, and it take an average of 5 years to see profit.
How will you pay rent on your location?
What if the kids are sick?
What if your employees call in?
What if your business gets bigger than you imagined, and you have to expand hours?
Who will manage?
Who will handle payroll?
We pay over  $1000/month for health insurance!  and thats the basic plan.
My cook walked out, so now I am the cook, plus all my other duties.

These are just a few problems I have run into.  Also, I DON'T get a paycheck.  I finally have the freedom to take off if needed, and my hubby works in our building (he is also self-employeed, so we can trade off if needed)  but most of what you earn goes right back into inventory.  if it is indeed retail/restaurant  weekends and most holidays are a must, that's when you make most money.  Christmas season for retail counts as 50% of sales for the year!!!!

I have never done a work from home business, so I can't help you there, but beware of the pyramid on work from home....
I hope this helps, please e-mail me and I can answer any questions.
As I said before, I try not to be negative, I LOVE MY WORK, but it definately is NOT what I imagined.  It is no fairy tale.  it is very hard work, to juggle home and job, but it is even harder when people rely on you to feed their family as well, (you pay their salary) and to be honest, the young generation doesn't have the work ethic that we grew up with.
Best of luck to you,
I hoped this helped, and sorry for the rambling....being self employeed is wonderful, but it takes time.
JenniferM73
by on May. 3, 2007 at 12:10 PM
Have you ever wanted to walk into your job and say Boss your fired?
How about wake up every morning knowing that it was the alarm clock that didn’t wake you up?
What about getting paid just for letting people know how much money you saved in a month?
The method is simple. So why not take a chance and learn how to make money by just doing what you do every day, every month, and for the fact of the matter every year!!!!
IF you answered yes to any of these question than you would greatly benefit from taking a look at this honest, ethical and award winning profitable home based business.
There are just a few other questions that I want to propose to you to help you further decide about taking a look at this opportunity.
Did you know that 92% of America live paycheck to paycheck?
Did you know that 82% of America is only $250 dollars away from Bancruptcy?
Do you know someone who fits one of these two questions?
Like me I am sure that you do. This is a opportunity not only for yourself but for those that you know to excel and achieve all from the comforts of your own home.
I encourage you to stop for a few minutes and take a look at this business and if you are interested please visit our website at:

www.4familyfreedomandfun.fourpointconsultants.com

We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
May you be well and safe
Sincerely
Jennifer and Rick
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)