Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fave kids punk music/books

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 298 Total Views
has anyone checked out CANDYBAND from Detroit? They do refreshing nursery rhyme punk songs!!! They are fantastic to sing along to in the car.
check out their website candyband.com they have some sample songs.
i stumbled across them by pure luck, looking on the search engine for some half decent, bearable, kids music.
i also love dan zanes. ANY OTHERS YOU KNOW OF?*********
also have you read the book PUNK FARM by Jarrett J Krosoczka - this is my FAVE book. and ollie loves it too!!
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuff_as_snails
by on Apr. 18, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Im so glad I found this post!  I dont have any thing good to offer though... :( sorry!  IF I find something I will be sure to post it!  Im going to check out yours right now!
PirateMa
by Member on Apr. 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM

I have a Dan Zane cd, but I can't really think of any others, I'll have to check out the CANDYBAND and PUNK FARM, that's rockin' yo! Thanks!Cool

Wildbriar
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2007 at 10:55 PM
Oooh, I'll definately check them out.  My son loved Alkaline Trio when I played them, and his favorite song is Manamana by Cake but other than that I don't have anything to contribute. 

Don't get out much.

-Wb
punkrockmum
by on Apr. 19, 2007 at 12:16 PM
BRATS ON THE BEAT is another one for kids. its got famous singers ie pennywise, tsol, the donnas, alkaline trio, adolescents , singing ramones covers.
punkrockmum
by on Apr. 19, 2007 at 12:26 PM
oh yeah,theres more songs of candybands - myspace.com/candyband (think thats the one, otherwise just type in search candyband)
punkrockmum
by on Apr. 19, 2007 at 12:34 PM
HEY just found this - like the sound of the thunderlords!!!!!!(sorry its all just a big ball of words) ############################################## are the (Little) Rock, Spoil the Child by Bill Childs 3/2/2007 Bill Childs and his daughter Ella host the weekly radio show "Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child" on Valley Free Radio. Change font size For Those About To Rock, We Suggest You First Take A Nap, Okay? One of the frustrating things about listening to a lot of kids' music is the ubiquitous faux rock song on far too many records. Typically, the number will open with something that resembles an actual rock drum beat, then there will be quasi-distorted guitar wonking that wants to be rock music, and then the band chimes in with a "Whoo!" or "Yeah!" here and there. Confidential note to musicians: a randomly placed "Whoo!" or ""Yeah!" does not by itself create a credible rocking song. This introductory material is all just as convincing as the rock 'n' roll grit of Sha Na Na at Woodstock. Listening, I always feel like what I'm about to listen to is the result of some sort of "How to Write a Rock Song for Dummies" book, and it'd be more at home at a church potluck or played fourteen times daily at Magic Springs than at Sticky Fingerz or the Rev Room. So this month, I'd like to share with you a few family-oriented rock bands who actually, y'know, listen to rock music. These are not lullaby CDs; they're not background CDs; they're not a way to settle down. These are for when you want to push the furniture against the wall and move. (Watch out for the corner of that coffee table, by the way. You'll split your head wide open.) CandyBand: CandyBand is made up of four Detroit-area moms, and has appeared at Lollapalooza, the Vans Warped Tour, and at countless regional gigs. They just released their fourth record, Calling All Kids, and it's their best yet. CandyBand takes their hometown heritage seriously and play some scorching Ramones- and Stooges-influenced rock that just happens to be great fun for kids. On Calling All Kids, the band is bold enough to cover a song by Raffi (yes, Raffi) - "Down by the Bay - and by the end, you're certain it was written to rock, not soothe. The Thunderlords: The Thunderlords bill themselves as the "first metal band for kids," and posit that they sound like what you'd get if "if The Wiggles met Rob Zombie backstage at a Gwar concert and decided to form a band together." While you're working to get that image out of your mind, I'll vouch for them: it really is metal for kids, complete with huge booming drums, heavy distorted guitars, and raspy vocals. While it's not a CD we pull out daily or even weekly, there are times when you need nothing more than a heavy metal version of "Old MacDonald" (here "Old Man Olaf") or the original "I Like Dirt" (with the immortal lyrics, "I Like dirt and dirt likes me/I Like the mud stuck in my teeth"). If you ever feel the need to bang your head, and would like to share that moment with your offspring, this is your band. Ernie & Neal: This Philadelphia duo (with backing band) dabbles in a lot of genres, but seems the most comfortable when playing big rocking songs (and power ballads) that would fit nicely between Zeppelin and Bachman Turner Overdrive on classic rock radio. But even if you're more in the left-of-the-dial crowd, their new album Rock the House has some songs you'll enjoy - "Hooligan" is a terrific ska-tinged rocker, and "My Life" illustrates what would have happened if the Velvet Underground had Fred Rogers as an inspiration instead of Andy Warhol. Other rocking picks: Professor Presley (SoCal-punk-tinged history); RTTs (bar band rock for kids); Teacher & the Rockbots (modern rock educational songs); Rockosaurus Rex (dinosaurs who rock out); and AudraRox (poppy punky fun from Brooklyn). Bill Childs is a law professor in western Massachusetts. He and his seven-year-old daughter produce a kids' music radio show, "Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child," weekly; check it out here. Contact him at show@s
MandyUnrath
by Group Owner on Apr. 24, 2007 at 9:38 AM
i love dan zanes too!  and thanks for the info with the punk nursery rhymes--i'm gonna check it out right now!
NaomiMonster
by Member on May. 2, 2007 at 2:14 PM
Don't forget the Toy Dolls! I'm 5 months preggers with my first and he loves Toys Dolls in-utero! Also there is that cool School House Rock CD with some pop-punk bands.

My hubby was in a bunch of hardcore bands back in the day ... like 20+ years ago. I'm trying to convince him to do some classic punk covers as sweet, melodic nursery rhymes and do some sweet nursery rhymes as hardcore covers. Wadda ya think? Would anyone else like a CD like that?

Cheers-
Naomi
punkrockmum
by on May. 2, 2007 at 5:24 PM
sounds good! my little one tends to be more attracted to the songs with a good beat, than the slower softer songs. anything other than the awful nursery rhyme whine
Katie-Pink
by on May. 4, 2007 at 11:10 AM
This year for Christmas my husband got me XM radio!!! It is the best thing ever and they have an all kids station that actually plays all sorts of cool /funny kids music old and new. That is were I first heard of the Candy Band. Robbie Schafer , The Milkshakes .....are cool too. Check it out
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)