Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dancing With the Stars to Air Once a Year, Dropping Fall Season: Report (UPDATE)

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 202 Total Views

Dancing With the Stars Season 15 Premiere: The Cast

UPDATE: An updated version of the NY Post story is more hopeful, making it sound like they are just considering dropping the fall season. "We haven’t made a decision about fall yet,” an ABC spokeswoman told the Post, “but we have no indication that it won’t be on the schedule." So maybe we shouldn't be too worried. It's possible they'll just change the judges or something.

Original story:

Traumatizing! A Dancing With the Stars production insider told the New York Post ABC is planning to drop the fall edition of the show and air it just once a year, during the spring season. They are putting blame on the disappointing ratings for All-Stars Season 15, which still brought in 16.7 million viewers but that's down three million from last year.

ABC hasn't confirmed the news, so at this point we should put ourselves in wait-and-see mode. But it doesn't look good. When ratings are lower than expected, big changes usually follow. Airing the show once a year has been discussed before, and host Tom Bergeron even allowed that it might be worth considering, even though he and his accountant love getting paychecks twice a year. Obviously we love DWTS and want it all year round if we can get it.

This also puts the pros up in the air, since Maksim Chmerkovskiy has said his contract expires at the end of 2013, and that’s when he’s planning to leave the show. If it's true that the spring Season 16 — which starts March 18 — is the only season next year, then that could be Maks's last season.

Do you think it’s a good idea for DWTS to air just once a year, to keep things “special”? It seems unfair to punish everyone for All-Stars ratings being low. Yes, The Voice has taken away some viewers in the past few seasons, but it’s not like DWTS isn’t strong in general. All-Stars may not have been a huge success because some people didn’t want to see those particular stars dance again. (Although, we loved the whole season!) Maybe people wanted fresh meat, so to speak. Just keep giving us good celebs (and pros!) and we’ll keep tuning in.

How do you feel about this news? Are you holding out hope that it's either not true or they change their minds?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
2kids19yrsapart
by Group Owner on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Please, NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM
2 seasons a year is too much. Sometime there was a couple months between seasons. More and more including me get sick of bad dancers staying too long, or weaker ones. I see where viewership goes down and down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I wouldnt really call their 13 week shows a COMPLETE tv season.   And this current one, seemed shorter than normal.   With elections and debates.  Add Super Sandy, and you got an odd season.

I like the format just the way it is.   

2kids19yrsapart
by Group Owner on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM

They usually have 3 months on, 3 months off, 3 months on, 3 months off.  That makes up the year.  I can't handle not getting my fix twice a year.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM
13 weeks is long for reality tv.

Quoting PestPatti:

I wouldnt really call their 13 week shows a COMPLETE tv season.   And this current one, seemed shorter than normal.   With elections and debates.  Add Super Sandy, and you got an odd season.

I like the format just the way it is.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfTwins789
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Noooooo!!! It should be year round, 4 seasons a year! Lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Journey311
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Nooooooo!  That would totally suck.  I don't know why, but I've always liked the fall seasons better than the spring seasons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)