Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New homebirthing momma here and lots of doubt............

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 535 Total Views

Homebirthing. Never, ever, ever did I think I would want a homebirth. That was for the crazy people, not me. Well, induction=horrible experience with baby #1, midwife natural childbirth in hospital= okay experience with baby #2 and wanting something more...........I'm doing a homebirth with baby #3 in December. I know my husband and I have made the best decision for our family but I sure don't feel like sharing this news with just about anyone. We are having this baby at home, with our midwife and I can't wait. But.......I am scared to death to know what people are going to think of me. It is making me doubt myself as a person and the decisions my husband and I are making for our family. This goes against just about everything my friends know and I've barely told a soul. Please tell me this is normal to feel this way.........I feel a little alone and yet, I know that having this baby at home is going to be amazing.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
joyful_mama
by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Educate yourself as much as possible.  Some good books to read, "Childbirth Without Fear" by Grantly Dick-Read, "Pushed" by Jennifer Block, "Born in the USA" By Marsden Wagner, "Birthing From Within" by Pam England.  There are lots of others but those are my personal favorites.

Don't worry about what people think.  I have the same problem here.  Most people I know think we are crazy to homebirth.  Oh well, it is their loss and their lack of knowledge that makes them think that way.

Best of luck to you!  :)

homebirthmoma83
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM

As joyful said EDUCATE yourself give yourself some back bone you can tell people the truth about homebirths! This is one of many great online info...http://www.nchomebirth.com/art-safety.html

atlchiromom
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I too am having my first homebirth in december. I think that you are intuitively making the best decision for yourself. I understand that you may feel that you are going to come under fire about your EDUCATED decison, but i want you to remember 2 facts. We have the highest infant mortality rate of any industrialized country in the world, and we are also the only industrialized country that has the majority of births in a hospital. Normal births are for the midwife at home, and surgeries should be done by a surgeon(obygn). Please be confident in your decison, because whatever you fear is what happens. You will rock this out in december, and be able to have many stories to tell at the holidays. You are powerful, strong, and smart. I am specializing in prenatal and infant care in chiropractic and we are huge promoters of natural childbirth especially at home. Please let me know if you have any questions. And get your butt to a chiropractor to ensure a short and comfortable, EASY birth.

Jamie

deederz
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I had the same feelings when I first decided to have a homebirth but now that I have read and become educated and found a midwife that myself and family are comfortable with and now I would shout it to the world. I am so super excited to call my midwife and tell her we are ready to get this show on the road, and i know it is going to be absolutly amazing! Good luck and if you know you have made the right decision for you and your family then it shouldnt matter what others have to say. I know its hard to take the first step, and my family doesnt understand my decision but that is alright with me now, because I have the support of my husband, my daughter and the most amazing midwife in the area!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)