Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grants for Starting an In Home Daycare?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2017 at 9:26 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

I am in the state of Kansas, USA. I am going to be starting a daycare here in a year and need EVERYTHING. From food programs, to outdoor equipment. From grants that will pay for my mortgage because my business is in my home, to grant for a new van to drive the kids to places. I need toys and supplies like changing tables. I need money basically. ANYONE KNOW OF ANYTHING... even leads on where there MIGHT BE some grant money or programs would be nice! I need a place to start looking. When I find stuff ( Because I know they are out there! People talked about it when I first started off in daycare wayyyy before I knew I wanted my own.)  I will share and post on here what I find too so we can all benefit!!!!!!!

Details about me:

I am going to be doing foster care here in 2 years. A year after my daycare is going well.

I am 31 and single no kids of my own

I am disabled

I am a women who wants to start her own business in her home

I am in poverty so low income

Anything will help! THANKS!!! 

by on Feb. 14, 2017 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LadySearchDog
by on Feb. 14, 2017 at 9:38 PM

You said you are disabled. I am in the state of Missouri and we have a program called PASS. Where you can take your SSDI money and save it to a saving account ,and get SSI instead so you can save up for a business! I almost guarantee your daycare will qualify for a business, if you have this in your state! One thing though... You have to get off SSDI a few years after... :( It's an incentive to stop getting SSDI. But if you are working full time, you cant get SSDI anyways. Look into your state and see if you have anything like that there! That can help get money to start your in home daycare! I'll keep on thinking and looking! GOOD LUCK!

cubbies23
by Jennifer in Indiana on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Contact your state for information on what you need to start a daycare. Also contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral.  My local CCR&R has helped me a lot. I have never been able to find any grants. Most are for non for profit places.

FoxGirl1985
by Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Quoting cubbies23:

Contact your state for information on what you need to start a daycare. Also contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral.  My local CCR&R has helped me a lot. I have never been able to find any grants. Most are for non for profit places.

What is consider a none profit place? If someone just makes enough to pay themselves at $13.33 an hour and that's all, is that a none profit? I mean non profits have to pay their employees too.....

cubbies23
by Jennifer in Indiana on Feb. 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Non for profits means you are not making any money like a charity or ministry type center. The money goes back to the center. Where as I am for profit because I keep all the money I make. Which is not much.

Quoting FoxGirl1985:

Quoting cubbies23:

What is consider a none profit place? If someone just makes enough to pay themselves at $13.33 an hour and that's all, is that a none profit? I mean non profits have to pay their employees too.....

FoxGirl1985
by Member on Feb. 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Pooh.... I bet there are a lot of grants for non profits out there. There has got to be a loop hole on this. I mean if you are just paying yourself ( THE EMPLOYEE) and the rest ( WHICH IS NOTHING) goes back to the center? Could that work? I can see it allowed if you didn't make but so much. I'll have to check into that!

Quoting cubbies23:

Non for profits means you are not making any money like a charity or ministry type center. The money goes back to the center. Where as I am for profit because I keep all the money I make. Which is not much.

Quoting FoxGirl1985:

Quoting cubbies23:

cubbies23
by Jennifer in Indiana on Feb. 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM

If you find anything let me know.  I have complained to many people about this but never get an answer of why.  The other issue I run into is I do not have any low income clients. If I did I could probably get some grants because of that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)