Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

daughter wants to cheer

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 234 Total Views
Hi everyone,

I am new to this so here goes....My daughter is 12 and in the 7th grade..We just moved to a new city where sports are everything. She decided that she wanted to try out for cheerleading and I was skeptical due to the fact that cheerleading can be very competitive and lots of tumbling invovled. Not like when I was a kid. She tried and did not make it and was very bummed but not devastated. My question is...If she want to try for the 9th grade, How much is realistic for her be able to learn in a year? She is very lean and flexible. But her legs are long and can be cumbersome. How do I know what kind of class to get her in? and Is it too late?

Thanks
by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ytb
by on May. 6, 2007 at 3:38 AM
You didn't indicate where you live. (But if sports are everything in your city, there must be many cheer programs in your area) However there are many cheer programs around that teach the basics. Whether is a youth cheer program offered by your city's park and recreation department, to local cheer gyms, that have novice level teams. Usually you will also be able to find some Cheer Camps, especially as we come to Summer Vacation. Check your local listing for Summer programs/camps. At this "youth" level, cheerleaders learn the fundamentals of cheering. Motions, jumps, and beginning tumbling. Once your daughter progresses, you may want to continue with private tumbling classes, as tumbling has become a major component in competitive cheerleading. Check your local listings under cheerleading/gymnastics. Good luck. By the way cheerleading is very much a team sport. For example when building a stunt, a "flyier" couldn't fly without it's bases (there's usually three bases for every stunt), and without a flyer, why would we need the "bases". Good Luck to your daughter. (My daughter cheered from age 7 to 24. The memories she holds are priceless.
Cheermomqt
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 8:11 AM
Definitely look into Pop Warner or American Youth Football for learning the basics for cheerleading.  I am sure if you live in a big city there is definitely a Pop Warner or Youth Football league or some other rec league.  Sign ups are going on now and is usually on a first come first serve basis.  There are no tryouts and everyone makes a team unless there are to many registrations then there will be a waiting list.  Also I would look into getting her into tumbling classes at a local cheer gym or gymastics gym.  You can check this link to find a pop warner league near you  http://popwarner.com/admin/leaguefinder.asp  Also check http://www.americanyouthfootball.com/ to see if they have a league near you.  If you let me know where you live I can search for cheer/gymnastics gyms near you. 
momofsaee
by on May. 8, 2007 at 9:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, we live in Calhoun, GA, a decent sized town about 2 hours north of Atlanta. In every small town in GA, sports are everything. I guess because there is nothing else to do. Anyhow, There is a local cheer center here and my girls (9 &12) start next Monday in a two hour tumbling and cheer. Its fairly expensive and they will have to keep behavior in order to stay in it, but I think it will be good.  Thanks for your help.
Cheermomqt
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Excellent.  That is a great place for them to start.  Georgia has some great cheerleaders. 
XtremeCheerMom
by on May. 8, 2007 at 8:24 PM
I was going to suggest finding a local all star gym in addition to pop warner programs.....but it sounds like you already found one!  Good luck, I hope your girls enjoy it!

Rachelle
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)