Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any advice?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

Anyone have any advice for me?? I was a cheerleader from elementary school through 10th grade. I loved it! I am in college to be a teacher and my goal is to be either a middle or highschool cheer coach. I still have a few semesters before I graduate, but what should I do to prepare so I have an easier time finding a cheer job?

Jennifer Lariscey; Mommy to 3 Sweet Babies! :)
www.twitter.com/trendy4you

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ceemuhreeashbee
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Get all your certifications and see if you can volunteer anywhere.

trendy4you
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

Get all your certifications and see if you can volunteer anywhere.

What certifications should I get? I searched it and there are a lot of sites offering different cheerleading certifications.

Jennifer Lariscey; Mommy to 3 Sweet Babies! :)
www.twitter.com/trendy4you

ceemuhreeashbee
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Ignore online lol- check with your state. Like in Oregon we have to attend a yearly Safety workshop (which is free) and have some NFHS certificate (it's like a couple hour long course online, not free) and there is another if you plan to compete (but I wouldn't get that one until you are actually in a school- and that's if you are in Oregon lol). Search for your state and cheerleading in google to try to find out what they expect.

DancerMomof2
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM

I have

* ACCAA
* USA GYMNASTICS
* NFHS
* I attend the Leadership classes at camps

Also, get in contact with your local Varsity Rep.  They have great information about cheer coach brunches, yearly meetings.  Since we are both in SC... They are mostly held in Charleston.  If you lived closer to me I'd bring you on as an asst!!! See if you can "guest" choerograph some routines for your local jr high/high school.  Coaches love when they can bring in someone. 

ceemuhreeashbee
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Don't forget CPR/First Aide :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)