Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-section moms(have you ever heard of this?)

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 11:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 279 Total Views
      When I had my daughter it was a scheduled c-section because, she was a big baby anyway..to my surprise they had inserted two drains right above my incision..I never heard of this and pretty much freaked out..they told me it was so that it could drain out the bad blood but, after any kind of delivery doesn't it drain out itself..I didn't feel it was necessary...I don't want them this time..I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant and I was wondering if any of you experienced anything like this..the reason why I'm posting this in this group is because, I was informed that they do this if we are on the chubby side so is this really true? do I need to get them this time too??

** Joanna**  "I so love my family"

Wife to Christopher and mommy to Christian & Charisa(and another baby on the way)

by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
angiebaby429
by on Mar. 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM
I had a c section and I was overweight and they didn't dovthis for me. I did leak on one side a little longer than normal...they said this was b/c of my weight.
Mommyoftwo2584
by Member on Mar. 10, 2008 at 11:04 AM
I was 250 when I had my son via c-section, and I never had anything like that nor did I leak or anything like that. IDK, I never heard of it either. Talk to your doctor and see if he can make it so they dont do that.
angeldream8715
by Member on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Maybe it has something to do with your doctor and he didn't do a good job or wasn't confident?? I was over 250 when I had my c-section and had no leakage and no drain. I've actually never heard of a woman getting that for a c-sec.

Lilypie

2plus1ontheway
by Member on Mar. 10, 2008 at 3:23 PM
I had two c sections and I had drainage with both. It helped, cause any blood that may leak from the incisions on the inside were able to drain out properly, and if it doesn't it will cause a stinky horrible infection which then you have to get an incsion to drain out later. Which sucks....With my first c section, 2 weeks to the date my appendix bursted and I had to have drainage put in with that to. Its not all that bad, I rather have it come out then stay inside.
2plus1ontheway
ianandnaveah
by on Mar. 28, 2008 at 7:40 AM
that happened to me.  it was terrible and hurt like hell even a couple weeks after the surgery.  im not sure if you can opt not to have it.  but, the doc who took out the staples told me he didnt know why the operating doc put the drain in at all.  so i guess it wasnt routine.  ill have to ask my doc when i go next week.  im trying for a vbac. but, hes pushing a section :(
thatgirl22143
by on Mar. 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM

I had a c-section with my last baby and they put in one drain at the end of my incision. They left it about 24 hours and then took it out. Caused no problems and didn't bother me at all. I actually didn't even know it was there until they removed it. I was 210lbs

sweet_pea_1116
by Member on Mar. 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM
The drain is a safty net to try and keep you from getting an infection. It all depends where you carry your wieght. Also who does your c-section. If the doctor hasn't worked with many bigger moms they will probably put the drain in to be safe. Diffrent hospitals and diffrent doctors do all things diffrently
Joanna9707
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2008 at 11:22 PM
    Well the drain they put in did hurt and bother me..they left it in for 4 days and it was pure hell..when they pulled it out..I saw stars..it wasn't a good experiance..the c-section was fine but, the drain is what ruined my experiance..I'm hoping that this time they won't feel the need to put another one in..keep your fingers crossed ladies!!

** Joanna**  "I so love my family"

Wife to Christopher and mommy to Christian & Charisa(and another baby on the way)

Joanna9707
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM
After my last reply my son was born 6-27-08 and they didn't put any drains but I developed a very nasty and big infection they had to reopen my incision,clean it as much as possible then put a vaccum in it to drain the rest out..that lasted for a month afterward now I'm pregnant again and I'm nervous about going through that all over again :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN