Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschooler weight worries!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 169 Total Views

Hello hello! I think i have only posted here once..but i wanted to see if any of you were dealing with this issue.

My 4 year old is over weight for her age. She has always been chuncky and her ped use to say not to worry, but at her last visit she got on to me about her weight. she is 4 and weights 55lbs. she is tall. im not sure exactly, i know she as as tall as some of the kindergardeners at her childcare. Her bio father was tall..Anyways my point is.. my family saids i cant put a 4 year old on a diet but i feel i dont have a real choice. i feel like its something I have to get a hold of now before she gets more over weight and is older and the problems are more. I was a fat kid and i still struggle daily with my wieght, and i guess i always will.  She was a cute chuncky baby, 20lbs at 6 months. doctor told me not to worry, she was great baby. she loved her veggies..but as shes gotten into the toddller stage and now preschool i cant get her to eat any veggies besides carrots and corn. There are days or even weeks when im sure she hasnt touched one bite of one veggie.. We have like so many ppl gotten into the fast food/ grab it and go life style. i want to break the cycle badly but im not sure how.

Do any of you have your children or preschoolers on a eating plan?is this the right thing to do? So i even worry about it right now?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
yakamoz
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM

I would focus on increasing activity level.  I don't know what your family habits are, so some of my activity and food suggestions may not apply.  Personally, I would not allow more than 30 minutes of television a day--encourage outside play, swimming lessons, sack races, making up dances to her favorite songs.  As far as foods go, I would not put her on an eating plan--I would simply not buy the things you don't want her to eat--and that may also mean disciplining yourself.  If you don't eat it, she won't eat it.  I'd rid my house of any high glycemic index foods, basically, empty carbs--white bread, white rice, potatoes, anything with sugar.  Breakfast cereals are a particular nightmare--if you do cereal, consider switching to a Mediterranean style breakfast (boiled egg, slice of cheese, tomato and cucumber slices, and olives--a breakfast with both fiber and protein, which is what we need to get our day started out right instead of overly processed grains and sugars).  If she's not filling up on empty carbs, she'll be (or eventually get) hungry enough to eat her vegetables.  If she's chunky, she's not going to starve if she refuses to eat what you give her for a few days.  Fruit juices should be served in very small glasses, or if she wants a large serving, dilute it with water.  Soft drinks should be avoided like the plague--evil incarnate!  I wouldn't keep dessert items in the house either.  Go out once a week for dessert and make it a special treat--this also reduces the likelihood of getting a second helping.  Not as a preschooler, but as a young kid, I was put on diets, and I resented my family for it.  I began sneaking large quantities of junk food in an effort to rebel, so as to say, "Ha!  You can't tell ME I can't have that ice cream when everyone else eats it!"  and of course I got even heavier than I had been.  I'm with your family on that one--don't put her on an official plan.  Just keep the junk food out of your house.  Having a hectic, busy lifestyle is never easy.  Maybe you could try spending one day week cooking healthy stuff for the week--freeze into portions, defrost, reheat, and serve--it helps with that grab-and-go lifestyle we all seem to have these days!

~yakamoz

"'Do you think you could do something like that....Are you capable of murder or rape or any of the stuff that is taking place [in the Congo]?'...If I answered his question by saying yes, I could commit those atrocities, that would make me evil, but if I answered no, it would suggest I believed I am better evolved than some of the men in the Congo.  And then I would have some explaining to do."
--excerpt from Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)