Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! How do I lead BOTH Daisies and Juniors?

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 11:57 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 540 Total Views
Help!!!

My oldest daughter is bridging to Juniors.  She had a blast this year as a Brownie.  I was the troop leader.  It was tons of work but it was great fun.  Unfortunately, there aren't any troops in our area accepting new Juniors.  One troop is bridging together into Cadettes and the other has no one bridging and is closed to new members.  It looks as if the only way my 4 Brownies who are bridging up, plus any other girls who might be interested, can do Juniors is if I lead.  I hadn't counted on that!

Meanwhile, my middle daughter has been jealous of her older sister all year.  I promised over and over that she would be in Daisies next year when she was old enough.  Of course, all the Daisy troops of this year are bridging to Brownies so it looks like I'll have to start one for her.

How on earth can I lead both Daisies and Juniors?  I only survived Brownies because of the excellent parent support and a terrific co-leader who is staying behind to lead the Brownies next year.  I have 5 kids total - a 12-year-old boy in Boy Scouts, my Junior-Girl-Scout-To-Be, my Daisy-To-Be, and twin toddlers still in diapers.  Meetings and outings had to be scheduled after work when my husband was home to babysit.  That seems a little late for Daisies (6:30-8:00 p.m.)  I have no babysitter I trust.  I can't combine the troops because of the age difference so we're talking two separate meetings a week, plus different outings.  How would we pull this off?

All helpful suggestions welcome!

Sincerely,

Jennifer
by on May. 4, 2007 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamatoheartbaby
by Member on May. 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM
How many dasies will there be? Can you have them come over to your house after school. During nap?? Our town has a extended day Kindergarten and usually end up meeting a 1pm at someones house. You do't have to meet every week for Daisy's either. Once a month would even be good enough. You also don't have to earn the pedal you could just get together for crafts and a snack. The pedals are easy to earn. Each pedal represents a on part of the law.
My dd is bridging from brownies to juniors this year too. My mom is my co leader and is amazing . She diesn't want to do it anymore ( likes the younger kids better for girl scouts) I am trying really hard to convince her she has to stay. I don't think it would be a fun with out her. 
HTH
Jovaiel
by New Member on May. 5, 2007 at 12:21 AM
I don't know how many daisies yet.  That would depend on recruiting efforts, which would be affected by whether or not I step up.  All I know for sure is that I PROMISED my middle girl she could be a daisy next year and I'm going to do my best to keep that promise.

Our council strongly discourages people from using their private homes.  I thought it would be so much easier if we could this last year, with the Brownies, but there are insurance reasons against it and they warn, over and over, that there is too strong a threat of law-suits in our litigious society to allow it.  We have to meet either in a school or a church - yet to be arranged for next year.  In my case there is the added difficulty of having all my other kids around.  The twin 2-year-olds especially would be horning in and demanding to be a part of the meeting, or else getting into trouble to force me out of the meeting, and I couldn't allow that.  It wouldn't be fair to the daisies.

We may not end up meeting every week - especially doing two such widely different groups (Daisies and Juniors) but, in my opinion, it would be better if we could.  It is easier for kids and parents to remember the meetings every week, rather than every other week or once a month, and if you have projects that extend beyond the meeting they are easier to remember and finish at the next meeting if it is only a week away.

As for your mother...remind her that this is still working with her granddaughter, which I assume was the point to begin with.  Juniors aren't that much older than Brownies (at least, I haven't noticed that they act that much older when in a group).  They are still young girls and fun, plus they can do a lot more things, go more places, and generally have better adventures than Brownies.  I was/am really looking forward to Junior year with my oldest.
doremi
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2007 at 12:10 AM
I know it's not as much fun to be alone, without a troop, but could one of your daughters be a Juliette?
Jovaiel
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:56 AM

Quoting doremi:

I know it's not as much fun to be alone, without a troop, but could one of your daughters be a Juliette?
Well, it looks as if I could get together a Junior troop but what would a Daisy do with them? How would she get anything at all out of the meetings?

doremi
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM
My co-leader and I have a troop with Daisies, Brownies and Juniors.  At the beginning of the year, we assigned a different part of the GS Law to each month.  Every month we did an activity that focused on one part of the GS Law.  For example, in April we focused on "Use resources wisely" because we celebrated Earth Day.  In January we focused on "Courageous and strong" because of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and so on.  (We doubled up in December- "Make the world a better place" and "Be a sister to every GS"- because we did a gift wrapping fundraiser to support a charity and we had a holiday gift exchange.) 

We also tried to have our Brownies and Juniors work on Try-its and Badges that were related to the monthly theme, but it didn't always work out that way... 

Anyway, because of the activities we did as a troop, our Daisies automatically earned their Petal for the month, and they had a great time doing fun activities with the older girls!

If you like, I can post our schedule for the year so you can see how we related different parts of the GS Law to different holidays and special events.
robbiesmama
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 1:41 AM
Talk to your membership staff person at council office.  Tell her about your situation, and tell her that if you are even to consider leading or co-leading a Daisy Girl Scout troop in addition to your Junior Girl Scout troop, you must have adult help.  She may know of some other adults who are interested in helping out or co-leading. 

Another option for the Daisy Girl Scouts is to make it a "She and Me" troop for while they are Daisy Girl Scouts.  Hold the meetings only once or twice a month, at a time that will work for you and most of the adults -- perhaps a weekend morning or afternoon, or right after school if there are a lot of stay at home moms.  Make it "mandatory" or highly encouraged that each girl has an adult female attend each meeting with her, like a mom, aunt, grandma, sister or cousin over the age of 18.  Then make up a caper chart of sorts, and have each girl/adult pair sign up for one meeting that they get to lead the main acitivity for.  I have seen this idea work really well in many communities.

Also, if you have a group of women together on a regular basis, you might be able to arrange with your council to have a trainer come to one of your meetings and train the other women in their Basic leadership training (you and another adult could keep the girls busy).  Then you have that many more trained adults to help out and possibly take over leadership of the troop next year as Brownie Girl Scouts if you find you are too busy or ovewhelmed.

Good luck!
Jovaiel
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2007 at 7:53 AM
These are excellent ideas. I thank you so much. We're preparing round-ups and I'm hoping another mother will step in an do Daisies, but it is good to be prepared, just in case.

"One of the prerequisites of peaceful coexistence of beliefs in a secular society is freedom of speech--particularly the freedom to question, to dissent, even to ridicule." -- Robert Spencer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)