Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HORRIBLE TANTRUMS!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 2:10 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

My daughter is 4 going on 14. She has a very bad attitude and can be very bossy when it comes to playtime (and pretty much everything else). She also whines and SCREAMS her head off (really bad) when she doesn't get her way with tv time or anything else. If I tell her to do something nicely and if it's something VERY SIMPLE she refuses, argues (all the time for literally everything), screams, whines, etc. I try to give her a time out, but the only place would be her room where she proceeds to scream incessantly and bang things and throw things all over her room. I have to hold the door closed otherwise she comes out still angry and will bang things all around the house and slam doors. This behavior is TOTALLY unacceptable to me and her anger is out of control! I live with my parents and they are no help, in fact they enable her tantrums by responding to her disrespectful behavior and giving in to what she wants. They will even shoot me dirty looks standing by the stairs and my mom will try to get her out of time out early to "talk" to her which makes the tantrum worse. I feel like I'm dealing with a serious problem and my husband thinks I'm overreacting because she doesn't do this with him and he's the one who gets her to calm down eventually. What am I doing wrong? I have tried counting, time-outs, spanking, stickers, taking tv time away, etc. pretty much everything and she is still RAGEFUL! I feel like she hates me and my parents think that I'm being too harsh when all I'm trying to do is disipline her for her acting like a demanding BRAT! She literally will scream like a banshee if I say, "You can't have a cookie now, but you can have it after dinner." She also will never take a nap even if she is exhausted and will be tired and cranky for the rest of the day. How can I positively parent if I've used every parenting tool in the book? She is very smart (perhaps gifted) and will find numerous ways to disobey and disrespect me. Please help!

by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
momof3jam
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

OUCH! My BFF has a 3 year old DD that is the same way. But to avoid these tantrums, she gives in - constantly. Which in the end makes it worse. My DD is almost 5 and I have a 3 and 9 year old boys. DD1 never gave me an issue, he was a momma's boy, and listened to his dad. DD had one blowout in the store. DH took her to the car, quick spank (just to get the point across) and she came back in, happy and behaving. Never had a problem after that. She gets moody when she's tired, and if she starts getting out of hand, she goes in her room and sits on her bed. The timer starts when it is quiet in there, and after 5 minutes and an apology, she gets to come out. My 3 year old (also a momma's boy) doesn't really freak out - he's really easy going (for now at least!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN