Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your husband have a dangerous job? I wanna hear about ur sit. too!

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:58 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 350 Total Views

300, 400, 500 feet in the air or higher!  My husband builds and repairs cell phone towers.  Recently was stuck 300 feet in the air on one during a thunder/lighting storm.  He saw the clouds coming in and radioed the Lead Tower Hand and was told "no we can beat it, just finish up then come down"  This coming from the man...on the ground! LOL He comes home and tells me this, I know he LOVES his job, the money is crap, but he loves it, so its worth it!

He also has to go out of town a lot and we miss him! ; )

He can be careful but so many things are out of his control, if the crane operator makes a slight error, weather & wind, poor judgemnt calls from himself of others, if the boom on the crane is not properly atttached, equipment malfunction. 

Kayla, our 4 year old kindergartener, climbs chain link fenses and says "when i grow up I'm gonna build towers"

He even brought home a harness for her to play in!  )Its so cute) I know her mind will change a thousand times so I'm not worries about that!  LOL

Wanted to share this with you and see if any of your husbands also gave dangerous jobs or work in this industry! Love to get to know your story too!

1st- guyed tower   2nd monopole twr  3rd self supporter

by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tam84
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Im scared sometimes for months at a time. My husband is in the army

mommaoftwins08
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM

wow! i guess it's a good thing your husband isn't afraid of heights!

my husband is a deputy sherrif and works in a local prison.  a while back he and some of his fellow deputies found a piece of sharpened metal in one of the cells that was nearly two feet long!

i think that's when i realized how dangerous his job really is! it even scared him so bad that he went online and found himself a "stab vest"!

Logansmom10406
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Mine is in the AF and we are about to go through our 4th deployment next year. I always worry. Hope this will be the last one!

GraphicsPhotobucket

cherry41089
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 12:13 PM

My hubby is in the US Coast Guard.it's alittle scary

mommy_2_luisito
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Oh I feel you my hubby is a tree-climber, he works with a company that cuts trees and some landscaping. He loves his job, and nature like me, but I dont like his job. Am scared he clibs trees that are way too tall, most of the trees they cut down are rotten inside, and could brake any minute by the wrong move, there is emergencies where they have to go cut trees during bad weather and storms because trees are already broken or about to fall into houses or buildings. The money he gets its so not worth it!

mrsherron
by Member on Dec. 10, 2009 at 11:16 AM

My husband spends 12 hours at a time in a state prison. He is a Corrections Officer (never call him a prison gaurd, he hates that) and contrary to popular belief COs do not carry weapons. My husband goes in, outnumbered in an overcroweded prison armed only with a radio and a whistle (why a whistle I do not know). The prisoners are experts at making weapons out of anything and everything. I worry every day he goes into work. He has a dangerous job that he gets paid next to nothing for, Cos are, if fact, some of the lowest paid employees in a prison. As if I don't worry enough about him at work, my husband apparently just wants to play hero 24/7, so on his time off he is a lt. on the volunteer fire department in town. He thinks nothing about running into a burning building or fighting brush fires fishing people out of flooded rivers. I geuss I wouldn't love him half as much if he wasn't just the way he is, but I am going to have gray hair by the time I'm 30 and it will be all his doing.

mamakrysoftwo
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM

My husband is a civilian security contractor in Afghanistan so I am worried

mindi6103
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 2:30 AM

My hubby is in the Army so its definately dangerous.  Sometimes more than others. 

CafeMom Tickers
PhotobucketBF, Soldier, Love
mindi6103
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Quoting mrsherron:

My husband spends 12 hours at a time in a state prison. He is a Corrections Officer (never call him a prison gaurd, he hates that) and contrary to popular belief COs do not carry weapons. My husband goes in, outnumbered in an overcroweded prison armed only with a radio and a whistle (why a whistle I do not know). The prisoners are experts at making weapons out of anything and everything. I worry every day he goes into work. He has a dangerous job that he gets paid next to nothing for, Cos are, if fact, some of the lowest paid employees in a prison.

You just spelled out what my hubby does, only in military prisons.  He's told me about times when there was a riot and he locked himself in a cell to be safe, cause they don't carry weapons either!  It freaks me out!

CafeMom Tickers
PhotobucketBF, Soldier, Love
Luv03
by Member on Oct. 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM

We got married 2003

2003-2007 he was a MARINE (crash fire rescue/hazmat tech

2007-208 he was a Government Contractor working in Iraq (fireman/hazmat tech)

2008-NOW he is a Project Manager for a hazmat company *ENVIRONMENTAL LOGISTICS* where he takes his crew to train derailments and trains on fire from turning over and chemicals causing explosion. He also responds to highway tanker trucks over turned with chemicals that have leaked out...meth lab explosions  ETC. We are very blessed for his position at the company and he loves his job but it can get dangerous =( I like when he is doing paper work at his desk =) Those are good days =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)