Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help please

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2007 at 2:36 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 199 Total Views
hello. my child does not have any form of autism but my niece may. my sister does not live in the country and does not know where to turn for help so i am doing it for her.

the whole story is that my niece was born in july and since her first cry she has not stopped. she cries when you put her down, when she in her stroller, when shes in the car seat when shes in her bouncer, when you hold her when shes sleeping. basically all the time. they changed her formula and colic has been ruled out, so have ear infections, any type of gas and teething. i was thinking maybe she has a sensory problem which i heard can be linked to aspergers syndrom. if you guys have any information on anything it would be really useful as i do not know anything about any of this and would really appreciate if you guys could give me some info.

thank you so so so so much!!

noa
by on Oct. 17, 2007 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Snu
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2007 at 5:26 PM
Has your niece been diagnosed by a doctor?  I've never heard of an infant being diagnosed with autism.  She obviously is a fussy baby, but my first thought wouldn't be that she is autistic.  Maybe she is a colicky baby.  My mother said I cried almost nonstop for the first three months due to colic.
XSPECTRUMKAREN
by on Oct. 17, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Children can have sensory problems without having an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Carol Stock Kranowitz has written several books about the out-of-sync child. They are good resources for SI issues

The other thing that comes to mind is allergies. You say that the formula was changed. But maybe your sister should try changing laundry detergents, etc. I use something called Allersearch Allergen Wash. I buy it at a place called the Allergy Store. I used to buy it on the internet before I found the store. It's is expensive so she may want to only use it for the babies things. Also, she could try cleaning the baby's room with non-toxic products.

I have heard of children under 12 months being diagnosed. The diagnosis was based on lack of eye contact and no development of social skills. The parents said that the babies werw unusually quiet. These children were caught early because they have an older sibling with an ASD.

autismfamily
by Group Owner on Oct. 21, 2007 at 5:49 PM
I have read books where Mothers said they knew something was different with the child as a baby and some have been diagosed very early  Here is an article by the author of Autism Sourcebook.

Autism in Babies:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bhealth/0,,8gjjkbws,00.html

Bonnie Sayers

http://www.cafemom.com/group/AutismResources

http://autismspectrumdisorders.bellaonline.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)