Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism and IPAD.

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 874 Total Views

Has anyone had any experience with their child and the IPAD with specific apps for autism?  They say it directly affects our children in a positive way?  Any information on people who has used one?

by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MEnd817312
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Hi. We got Andrew an IPAD back in November. He is almost 3 1/2 and non-verbal. He loves the IPAD. I think my husband loves it more, but as Andrew matures, I think he'll be able to use it more and more. Did we really have the $$$ for it? No. But it's really worth the investment. There are many apps that he likes, as simple as the ABA flashcards. If you go on itunes, there is an Education section and even a Special Ed section. You can't go wrong with any of the apps there. If you check on some of the other postings, I'm sure you'll be able to find many names of different apps. I totally recommend it.

Michelle

Mom to Andrew, ASD

PS. Check out this site.

http://specialchildren.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=specialchildren&cdn=parenting&tm=13&f=21&tt=55&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//a4cwsn.com/

blazemi
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Thanks for the info.  We don't have the money for it but would be a great thing for my son.  We got to try one out with special needs stuff on it and I feel that it would only progress him forward.  My Mom told me she would buy it for him.  What a shock!  How appreciative we are.

MEnd817312
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM

What great news!

blazemi
by New Member on May. 14, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Since I posted this, we have seen a direct impact with school using the IPAD.  It has helped us a lot.  From the visual schedule to Pictello.  We didn't have the money either but for us, it was worth it. 

Losha007
by New Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Has anyone heard of any good apps for autism?  I am considering doing a study on using the IPAD vs. the traditional technology (depending on the app) to see if the IPAD is emperically better for my thesis.  I have heard of grace and proloquo2go but are there any others?

dezandry
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I preodered my son a Vtech Innopad from amazon , its like an Ipad but for kids and much cheaper $79. that will be his xmas present. It is also an mp3 player and takes an sd card. I wanted to find my 4 yr old son an mp3 player that was durable enough for him and this one seemed to have the most benefits. There is also the Leappad explorer coming out soon and that has a camera and video recorder but no mp3 player and slightly more expensive, they both seem very similiar though like those things usually are. I preordered it because of last year those things were crazy to get.

I have apps on my phone, (i have a droid x) that are useful. Even little stories and you tube are an awesome way to keep my son entertained while we are waiting like at a doctors office or at a restarant.

crissy1200
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:58 AM

My son has one at school that he use's in the class room that has helped him a ton and my oldest son use's something very simlar in his classroom as well they have both asked me for one will have to wait and see but they seem to be very nice and I think that it would be very rewarding and helping for  all of my childern not just my two autisic childern but my other son as well 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)